Official Horror Convention Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Aug 27, 2007.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think a lot of people forget that this is just a job to some of these people. As much as we love movies and would love to be in their shoes, this is simply how these people make a living.

Most of them seem to genuinely love what they do, but not everyone.

2. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

Of all the celebs I have met, Savini stands out as the worst. He was leaning back in his chair talking to someone he had with him at the booth and signing pics without looking at the paying fan. I tried to ask him a question about the crotch gun prop from FDTD he had on the table and I could tell I annoyed him. I got a signed pic from him but won't pay for another autograph from him though.
    I understand these celebs may be upset with the convention promoter or anything else they have going on but that is not my problem. If you don't like signing autographs and meeting fans, don't do conventions. The amount I am willing to pay for some ink on a picture weighs heavy in their favor.

3. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

If that's the case then why do it?

4. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I have only been to one horror convention so far, and that was Spooky Empire's first May-Hem Memorial Day Weekend, 2011. I went because it was the 30th Anniversary Celebration of Evil Dead, and the entire cast of Evil Dead was there. I first meet the Ladies of The Evil Dead, Ellen, Theresa, and Betsy. Showed Betsy her tattoo of her, and she flipped and took several pictures of it. This was Friday Night. Saturday Morning, I stood in line so I could get 2 seperate Photo Ops with Bruce Campbell, and The Ladies of the Evil Dead. It was worth it. The only person I didn't get a picture with was Hal Delrich, but he asked where was his tattoo. That will be soon. I did meet Ted Raimi also at the convention, but I thought he wasn't that friendly. I have been a fan of Ted's for years, but it left a little bit of a sour taste in my mouth. I was such a hit at the convention that several people recognized me from Bruce's Q & A, which is on youtube, that one of my photo ops with Bruce, they reprinted twice, and Tim Philo asked my husband about me. The one thing I wished that I had done, was to visit with Bill Hinzman, while he was down there. I had VIP tickets, and they had a special party Saturday Night just for VIP Ticket holders, and one of the actors from Lost Boys was at the Party, Brooke McCarter who played Paul, sang Cry, Little Sister, and it was in the memory of Corey Haim. He did an excellent job signing the song. They also had the entire cast of Evil Dead, and some from Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness on stage, and they cut a cake that was created only for this event. It was a very cool cake, and I don't think anyone made a video of this or not. Then, Sunday afternoon, they had a Evil Dead Q & A, and the funny thing is, Hal Delrich said, Alicia, aren't you supposed to be gone, which this is on youtube. I'm so glad I went, and it was fun, and not only did I meet everyone I wanted to meet, but I was able to get Bruce's autograph on a Evil Dead poster, and Tom Sullivan's autograph too, but I was able to get a autographed photo of Jensen and Jared, from a different convention they were at. This convention might be the only one I will go to, but it was fun.

5. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Member

I've been to a dozens of cons over the years, thankfully before guests started charging us per signature. I have a ton of things signed by Savini, and he ALWAYS came off as a grump. I began to expect it after a while as Savini being Savini. He never did anything deliberately mean, so I never found him intolerable.

Most of the guests are out-of-this-world nice. I couldn't even name all the good ones(Angus Scrimm, Alice Cooper, Andrew Divoff, Dick Warlock, Linnea Quigley, etc.). Yet there've only been a couple of sour experiences.

Vernon Wells (Wez from The Road Warrior) was a dick, and Lucio Fluci barked at me when I thanked him for his autograph. I actually didn't mind Fulci's behavior, as he was said to be something of a malcontent. I got the royal treatment, I suppose. Robert Davi was mad that I wanted him to sign a Predator 2 poster when he brought piles of James Bond pictures, but he was still okay. Heather Langenkamp was nice, but she started to angrily sigh every time someone asked her to stand for a photo.

Still, 99% of my experiences have been golden, but I don't go to many anymore because they're too expensive. Greed sucked the joy out of the experience.

6. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I just attended my very first con here in Atlanta (Days of the Dead) this weekend and had a really nice time meeting Sid Haig, PJ Soles and Bill Moseley. Sid seemed a little bit tired/grumpy but he's old as hell so it didn't bother me. He probably had a rough night with Gary & Jake Busey.
    Poor John Russo seemed like he didn't know where he was, which made me feel a little sad for him.
    Basically, I was totally starstruck/tongue-tied and didn't engage too much with anyone. I'm sure they get tired of answering the same old questions anyhow. But they are actually holding it in downtown Atlanta next year and I am definitely going to do the entire weekend instead of just one afternoon! It was kind of a revolution to be surrounded by so many people who share my absolute love for horror films. :)

7. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I've been to many different horror cons. Horrorfind, Flashback Weekend, Fangoria, MotorCity Nightmares......only one has made me a fan of the con itself. That would be Cinema Wasteland. If you have never been to a Wasteland show, you are really missing out. Ken Kish and his wife know how to treat fans and the celebrity line up for each show is always a bit unique from what other cons have. The entry price is one of the cheapest and there is no tier pricing, so everyone is treated equally. There is just something about the atmosphere of a Wasteland show that permeates "horror family". I find it to be relaxing and personal as opposed to the shuffle through a line cold feeling I get at other shows.

If you live anywhere near Ohio I HIGHLY recommend you attend Cinema Wasteland. I haven't missed one semi-annual show for the last 5 years.

8. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

For those of you living in Ontario. I came across this horror convention while at Suspect Video in Toronto. I think this is the second one they have thrown but it seems to have a cinema Wasteland type vibe to it. I really get turned off by the lack of intimacy with the huge crowds at the Festival of fear and I think this might be a good alternative for those of you whom, if your like me, hate the hassle of crossing the border. It's called Called SHOCK STOCK and it takes place in London ON.

http://www.grimbrothers.com/sstock_main.htm

They got some bad news with Jessica Harper dropping out but I'm going to check it out anyway, most likely driving down for the Saturday. The Convention take place Apr13 - 15th.

Here is the guest line-up.

http://www.grimbrothers.com/guests.htm

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  9. Chet Desmond Jr

Chet Desmond Jr New Member

You're absolutely right. I love the atmosphere and the guests are a hardcore B movie fan's dream. Next week can't come soon enough!

10. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

11. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Yup, I'm pumped for next week's show. Should be a fantastic time as always.

12. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

13. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I really would like to get back into the convention scene but lately I haven't had much fun at them. It just seems that folks are milking all they can out of horror fans these days. When you're charging fans that adore your life's work $40 bucks to sign a piece of paper in a country that is still recovering from a recession, it gets a bit ridiculous. Now if celebrities were openly donating that money to charity that might be different. But still, prices for autos have doubled since when I first posted in this thread in 2007.

14. Cannibal Chris

Cannibal Chris New Member

I'll be going to Texas Frightmare Weekend this year, but I don't plan on buying any autos, most of the good people from the line up this year I've already met, the rest just don't interest me. I realize that most of these actors go from con to con, but I really wish some of these conventions strayed away from the norm. TFW has had some great guests and I'm truly grateful to have such an awesome convention so close to home, but I'd really like to see them branch out and get some more foreign blood.

Speaking of which, later in the year at Emos in Austin, Texas Coffin Joe is making an appearance. I really hope I can make it down there for that.

15. mlock

mlock Member

I didn't manage to read all the posts, but I was wondering if you guys could suggest a couple good convention ideas. I have never been to a horror convention, but had a lot of fun attending the 40th anniv of Star Trek in Vegas summer of '06. I guess it would partly depend on who's attending, and I realize there are a lot of horror conventions to choose from, but would appreciate some ideas as I plan to attend one next year. Doesn't matter if its in Canada or the USA. :)

16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I just got back home from both Cinema Wasteland and Shock Stock, which I've been to previously. Wasteland was a little slower this year, but Shock Stock had about 3x as many people through this year which was fantastic (because I actually know the people who run this one and was a volunteer). Personally, I prefer the smaller cons, which both of these are, as you can much more easily speak with and socialize with the guests. Plus the smaller shows seem more like a "family" rather than the Comic Con-esque shows that seem to just want to charge you an arm and a leg for anything and everything. I used to go to the FanExpo show in Toronto for the Festival of Fear portion, but stopped going in 2010 because of it becoming inflated and overcrowded and really no fun at all. Those are the only three horror conventions I've been to so can't comment on HorrorHound Weekend or Texas Frightmare or Chiller.

17. Cannibal Chris

Cannibal Chris New Member

The only "serious" con I've been to has been Texas Frightmare Weekend, I've never had a bad experience there. While it does get bigger every year you still manage to see a lot of the same faces, there are certainly a core group of people and vendors who are there every year which is nice. Honestly your best bet is deciding if you want to go to a con that's close to you or your state, or if you don't mind driving/flying a bit. Then just narrow is down to the line up you most prefer. You might also check out youtube videos and their facebook page to get a feel of how things are ran, general mood/vibe of the con.

18. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

http://www.monstermania.net/#

I'm going to try and get to both (depending on the guests).

19. mlock

mlock Member

Thanks for the link! The Cherry Hill NJ got my attention in particular, but of course it'll depend on the guests. The Texas Frightmare weekend has a great list of guests for this year too!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  20. myhorror

myhorror Member

Going to this next month near Syracuse. It's only the 2nd year for this convention so I'm not sure how well it runs. I was really excited for Felissa Rose but she recently cancelled.

http://scareacon.com/