Official Horror Convention Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Awwwwww you fascinate me with your true stories. You seem cool to me so don't beat yourself up. I have gotten star struck too on a few occasions. If you want someone nice to approach next time. I'd say your safest bet would be Ken Foree. He winked at me several times at a convention I went too. He knew I was star struck it was pretty obvious. :lol: Rumor has it Tom Savini has had a bad case of asshole rash. I don't think you did anything wrong he's just an ass. Just bad luck I wouldn't read into it Buck blah blaaah.

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Thanks Dobby. The feeling is mutual. I actually met Ken Foree on two occasions (including last week). He really is a nice guy and very approachable. He starred in my favorite film (Dawn of the Dead) and my favorite TV show (Cheers). I hope that I age as well as he does considering he's in his 60's now.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'm thinking about going to the Flashback Weekend here in Chicago. It's actually just twenty minutes from my work so I'm thinking about going straight there on Friday.

Has anyone gone to a convention on a Friday? I've only gone to conventions on Saturday/Sundays. How is it on Fridays? How about autographs on Fridays?

100% of the reason I'm going is to get an autograph from Christina Lindberg. I'm either going to get Wide Open DVD if it's there for her to sign, or have her sign my Thriller press book, maybe both. If I've got a better shot on a Saturday then maybe I should do that.

4. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I attended the Saturday Nightmares convention on a Friday at the beginning of June. The difference I found is the special guests were in better spirits then I've found on say Sundays. There usually aren't many other people there, so there is no waiting in line for autographs. I was able to talk to David Emge for about 30 minutes, and he was about as pleasant a person as you'd ever want to meet. The drawbacks are, the special guests can arrive late. I waited two hours for Gaylen Ross to arrive since she was stuck in traffic. You also aren't aware of cancellations on a Friday (like Scott Reiniger) so if there is someone that you are going to a convention to see cancels, you're out of luck. Finally, a dealer will be more likely to offer better deals near the end of the convention if he/she didn't do well Friday/Saturday. In conclusion, I guess it depends on what you are going to the convention for. Hope this helps.

5. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I went to a convention in June of this year & got an autograph from Jullian Sands & I found him very cold(He just signed my dvd without asking my name or any kind of conversation or pleasentries, he just asked me if this was good & handed it back) anybody else get that kind of reaction?

6. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I second this, I've never met him personally but exchanged e-mails with him frequently about the time he was opening his F/X school in Philly. Always polite, prompt responses, seemed like a nice guy.

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Good, that's what I was hoping. Especially because I can get there before 5PM.

I'm not too interested in what the dealers have so I'm not looking for any deals. I'll browse but that's about it.

8. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I went to the Fan Expo here in Toronto over the weekend. Unlike last year where there were tons of deals on horror movies, this year was quite dry. Everything was the same if not more then the prices that they can be found for online.

All the sweet deals on graphic novels made up for it though, as did the Tony Moore signed Walking Dead print I picked up for $10 and the signed Tom Savini pic for $20. Contrary from what I've heard from other members on here, he seemed to be in a good mood and was quite nice.

Other celebs there included Robert Englund, Elvira, Lance Henriksen, Doug Bradley, ect., making this year probably the best yet. I'm hoping John Carpenter will come next year, or Dario Argento again!

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I did end up going to Chicago Flashback Weekend and the line to get in in took an hour, about as much time as I spent looking around the joint! Christina Lindberg was gracious and very kind. And this might not be a surprise to some but her English is very good! I don't know of any English interviews with her so I was very surprised by that.

I also talked with Don May for awhile and he was very cool and candid. I blew all my cash at Lindberg's booth though, so I didn't get a chance to buy anything else. One booth had foam cut outs which I thought were great and modestly priced but I didn't have a dime left for 'em.

10. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

They started the guest list for the next Chiller Theatre not too long ago, hopefully they add another Italian Invasion soon!

11. deepred

deepred Member

I hope they get Daria Nicolodi again - I felt she was announced very last minute (her official facebook page annouced it like the week before the con?!) and I was not able to attend. If I had known she was going to be there with at least a month notice, I would have so been there. Now I am afraid I've missed my chance. :cry:

12. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I was lucky enough to meet Christina at Cinema Wasteland a couple of years ago. I recorded the Q&A with her and posted it on youtube. Enjoy. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NimYt6qxpg8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Mz4ZZ221w
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B17N8UF3xC4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqQH3fA_1h8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GrGwogKFxw

13. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Have any of you guys had any experiences with Tom Savini at conventions?

I've heard a ton of stories about him being a bit of an asshole at conventions. I was listing to a Q&A from the festival of fear and he went on to say that this reputation stems from one encounter where he was signing an autograph and the guy next two him was on the phone, he told him he didn't want to talk. He said the woman thought he was talking about her and through his signed picture at him and walked away. He also said he chased after her to explain the misunderstanding but couldn't find her.

I'm assuming from all I have heard that he's full of shit but who knows. I've never actually met him but I have walked by him a few times so I wouldn't know. Any of you have any stories to share?

14. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Read the rest of this thread, there are already stories about him in previous posts. When I met him, he was pretty stuck up and uninterested in talking with his fans.

15. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I've seen/met Tom at seven con's in the last 12 years and not once did he look like he cared to be there. Not saying he was an jerk or anything, but more like uninterested.

However, one time I was watching him at his booth and he pulled out this huge wad of money from his fanny pack and started counting it. As he was doing this, some enthusiastic kid came up and started trying to chat with him. Tom continued to count his money the whole time this kid was talking. Every once in a while Savini would look up and say "yea" or "no." Poor kid.

I thought that was kind of a tool move on his part.

16. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

The impression I get from Savini is that he is there to hang out with the other guests and see friends. The fans are a necessary evil. I have met him twice and neither time was he especially nice or especially mean. Just going through the motions. He is at so many of these things that I really can't believe he could hear anything from any fan that he has not heard 1000 times before. In a way I can understand that. He probably feels a lot like I do when I am dealing with customers at work. I am not defending the behavior, just saying I understand it.
    On the plus side though, the first time I met him he signed for free, and the second time he signed an unlimited amount of your items if you bought one item from his table.

17. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I met him and got a signed pic at the Fan Expo a few weeks ago. I thought he was nice.

18. deepred

deepred Member

Met Amelia Kinkade at Days of the Dead --- she was an odd bird. Barbara Crampton was very sweet and easy to talk to.

19. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

For some reason from what I have gathered horror fans expect Tom to be this awesome guy. When in reality he's a typical asshole like most of humanity these days. In other words he's a modern age human being go figure that. :rolleyes:

20. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I've seen Savini at several conventions. He wasn't hostile or rude to anyone. But he clearly had no interest in interacting with fans. He was aloof and impossible to engage in any meaningful way. People like Ken Foree, Michael Berryman, Angus Scrimm, and Reggie Bannister go out of their way to be gracious. Robert Quarry was that way too. I have very fond memories of meeting those guys. But I doubt many people have those types of memories of Savini. He's just there for a paycheck.