Official 'Hostel' Reaction Thread....

Discussion in 'General' started by ReNeGaDe, Jan 6, 2006.

1. ReNeGaDe

ReNeGaDe Guest

I dont see any other reaciton threads

This movie was great, original, and so OVER HYPED!!!! Its a violent movie, and it deserved the R and the most brutal torture scenes are shown in split seconds. Good movie though....

2. David Lo Pan

David Lo Pan Guest

Thoughts posted on the "Who's not seeing Hostel" thread.

Saw it today and thought it was entertaining; its a rental. No, the gore isn't particularly strong and I had no sympathy for the high-five slapping, pot smoking college kids; though the action and violence in the last twenty minutes was amusing. Overall, the movie like nearly every other one these days is crammed with too much music, and Eli Roth can be credited for helping bring back tits to horror movies played in movie houses — and that's about it.

3. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the hell out of it. Here's hoping for an unrated DVD.

4. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

I liked it alot. The gore was plentiful and well done. The movie was less realistic than I expected, and went for a little more entertainment value then downbeat horror. I thought HOSTEL was better than Wolf Creek, and although it's a little far fetched, I never lost interest for a minute.

5. onebyone

onebyone Guest

First, I have to say everyone who said this movie is wall to wall torture needs to get into a 12 step program as they are clearly addicted to something that is altering their perception of reality. There is torture in the movie and it is really well done, but there isn't that damn much of it. In fact, there is a frustrating lack of torture in this movie.

I liked the movie and am glad I saw it, but I didn't love it. I for one prefer Cabin Fever. My main problems with the movie are a. not liking anyone at all hell I will pay to kill you fuckers and b. the slow build up before anything happens. The build up was interesting to watch in an And Soon The Darkness being a stranger in a strange land is inherently scary kind of way, but it did little narrative good. We didn't really learn anything save that they are the annoying as hell travelers you see when you are on the road that everyone who doesn't have a drinking or crack problem hates and pretty much wants to kill. You learn that quickly, and then the point is seemingly belabored as an excuse to show off breasts.

Once it got rolling, I thought it was pretty interesting, intense, and enjoyable though. It was all so much more interesting than the earlier part of the movie that it kind of bugged me.
    Why not just have the whole movie take place within the confines of "the art show?" That would have been incredible, as those scenes were great and I was much more interested in how that set up came to be and the folks that would pay to go there and the kind of horrible things they might choose to do to others than, you know, the travels of a couple of jerks looking to score some foreign booty.

It sounds like I hated the movie, but I really didn't. It was enjoyable. I guess I am just bothered that, with the fascinating premise, it didn't manage to be great. Regardless, I left the theater feeling kind of buzzed on horror adrenaline, so the movie is, in the end, ok by me. I am going with 3/5 stars for now, but that could change on future viewings. It is entirely possible all the "It is so violent oh the torture oh my god cinema will never be the same oh my god won't someone please think about the children" hype hurt my perception of the movie when, in the end, it wasn't all that damn violent.

As an aside, the trailer for The Hills Have Eyes remake was on this movie, and it looked really good on the big screen.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2006
  6. kyouki

kyouki Guest

Maybe I'll have to check this one out... the only thing stopping me is the fact that from what I've heard none of the characters are likeable. I guess it makes the torture scenes easier to swallow though. ;)

7. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

**SPOILERS THROUGHOUT**

I loved it! The party-like atmosphere of the first half of the movie was fine by me, especially with all the creepy little out-of-place moments that were thrown in. These guys are having fun and everything, but it's obvious that something's going on, like an eerie conspiracy. There's just a great sense of foreboding throughout the first half of the film.

The two main characters were very annoying to me, but I liked the Iceland guy. Naturally, the villains were far more interesting. The one torturer visting the museum for tortury to study up on his craft was a cool idea. The businessman with the surgeon fetish was certainly an intriguing individual. As soon as he said he liked to use his hands, I knew he would be one of the participants in the torture factory. The nutcase who tortured Paxton was the most effective though, a very creepy fella with his orgasmic-like breathing at the thrill of it all. Also, Barbara Nedeljakova (Natalya) was quite gorgeous to say the absolute least, and her shady character's demise had my theater cheering. I was cheering for her though, as Paxton was so unlikable. :D By the way, did anyone else notice that the music in the scene where she is having sex with Josh is Willow's song from The Wicker Man? I found that to be rather odd.

The torture factory provided a very nasty and hellish atmosphere. I loved how it worked with the differing prices for each victim's nationality, and the privacy of your own mini-torture chamber. The hound dog tattoos for the members was a nice touch too. It's just one big club like any other! ;) Takashi Miike's cameo was great! Sure, he has a very minor cameo, but it was just too cool.

The torture scenes were pretty unsettling, and I didn't think the gore effects were the least bit poor. They were downright brutal, and quite realistic to my eyes. Some people have the strangest nitpicks. Anyway, the scenes of torture set out to get under the viewer's skin, and in my case, they succeeded. Job well done.

The ending with Paxton getting revenge on the businessman struck me as especially brutal for some reason. I've seen worse, but this hit pretty hard. Maybe it was because of all the pure rage involved, or maybe it was simply because the guy was on the toilet at the time. :lol: I still love the daughter idea Roth originally had for the ending though.

This is a fantastic film. It explores the fears of being alone in a foreign country, the fears of conspiracy, and the bodily fears of torture, and it explores them all in a very effective, creative manner. While I think I prefer Cabin Fever overall, as far as I'm concerned, Roth is two for two. I will certainly continue to support his future films.

8. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Who said that the gore was poor? I haven't read that. The gore was excellent. Only one or two brief scenes were unsettling to me
    (the scene where the shy boy was told he could leave to find that he really couldn't, for one)
    but that doesn't mean they weren't well done.

Agreed. He took pride in his work damn it. If there is a sequel, I hope we get more into the people who would want to do something like that. I found that fascinating.

9. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

"My main problems with the movie are a. not liking anyone at all hell I will pay to kill you fuckers"

that was the reason i hated Cabin Fever. I couldn't help but cringe anytime anyone did or said anything. Haven't seen this one yet, though...just thought i'd share my problem with cabin fever, for the heck of it.

10. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

This is from the "No Hostel for Xmas" thread:

Then again, all of this guy's arguments strike me as nitpicking just to further his agenda against Roth.

11. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

It was great.

But, the blood and gore was a bit tame.

When he was going down the hall, and we saw the glimpses of the rooms, that was fucking brutal. But there was not enough of that. I hope the unrated edition packs us with a crap load more.

9/10.

12. dmeister

dmeister New Member

SPOILERS BELOW

Just got back from seeing this, and was terribly pleased. After the profound disappointment that was Wolf Creek, Roth hooked me up. Plenty of suspense, excellent gore, beautiful nude European women, above average acting, etcetera. Oh, and an eyeball scene that would make Lucio Fulci wince. And, for those Wolf Creek fans who were awestruck of the CGI Finger-ectomy, well... You'll see.

Roth also managed to do a nice job with character development, and even throw in a little Noir. But, most importantly, I loved the ending. I don't know that I would've changed a thing about this movie.

dmeister

13. ReNeGaDe

ReNeGaDe Guest

IMO Wolf Creek is still one badass nasty flick, and I was watching the whole movie saying "Strangeland is way worse", in fact Eli borrowed something from Strangeland.

14. dmeister

dmeister New Member

Yeah, I thought one of those guys looked like Dee Snider. ;)

dmeister

15. DeathDealer

The way they were adversting the helmet guy, it looked like it was going to be some sick and disturbing stuff. But nothing much ever happened with it.

And where the hell was this scene:

[​IMG]

He never once held the chainsaw with that helmet on.

Here's hoping that it finds it way on the Dvd, and that it was not a promo shot.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  16. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it was just a promo shot. I don't see where that could've fit into the movie, even if it was deleted.

17. DeathDealer

Oh, btw, Rick Hoffoman's acting was damn cool. His sturring and and excitement, and the dialogue in that scene was very interesting, disturbing, and very tarantino-esque.

18. DeathDealer

Maybe he quickly got the chainsaw and hacked up one of the bodyguards, who knows.

19. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

According to Roth only a few frames (2 or 3 seconds) had been edited but who knows, maybe some sort of extended version will surface once it hits DVD.

20. H0MOSareGAY

H0MOSareGAY Guest

I think the inclusion of the whole "College kids getting laid" plot was a little dumb. I mean, the torture was a nice payoff, but I'm not sure if it was worth sitting through an hour of Euro Trip.

Plus, every time they actually tried to follow through with the story of the college kids, it was just ridiculous. I'll make this vague enough that it won't spoil anything: Did anyone notice how "he" just HAPPENED to run into practically every character in the entire movie by the end? It seemed especially ridiculous to me right after the truck moved and all 3 of those people were just standing there. What are the chances of that? Not to mention sitting close enough on the train to the old guy that he could hear every aspect of his conversation. A little far fetched for me.

Basically, I thought the movie had POTENTIAL, but didn't deliver. I wouldn't be against Eli Roth trying to "revisit" the subject, but I think it would be FAR more interesting to tell the story from the point of view of one of the "hunters". I really found myself wanting to know more about what was going on in their heads. The characters the movie focused around were incredibly uninteresting, and I think that's where the movie failed. I was so bored with these characters by the end of the movie, I just wanted them all to die.

I haven't given up on Eli Roth or anything. I think it's a definite possibility that once he gets a little more experience he'll give us something really good, but this wasn't it.