Oily Maniac

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by russweiss, Dec 6, 2015.

1. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

1.jpg

This 1976 Shaw Brothers film is quite interesting. It's basically an Asian telling of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. It features a very cheesy monster, a fair amount of nudity, time lapse animation, and music extremely similar to the theme from Jaws. Danny Lee is a handicapped man who through the use of magic is able to transform into the title villain/hero. He then goes about killing various bad guys. The use of animation, time lapse photography, and a man in a suit bring the oily maniac to life. This movie was a lot of fun. I would recommend it to anyone that likes Shaw Brothers or cheesy monster films. I think this is only available on import DVD.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Our film festival owns something called a "ZiiEagle": http://www.creative.com/corporate/pressroom/?id=13201
    It has 668 Shaw Bros, movies on it.

As a reward for my work at the festival, the artistic director lets me keep it in my home for a few months. I just checked the movie list, and Oily Maniac is on there. So I'll be checking it out shortly!

3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I had read about this film for years and just never got around to watching it until today. Let me know what you think when you see it.

4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, it's pretty bad-ass. I got to babysit it last year too and watched a shit ton of movies. Haven't found any good horror on it yet; I didn't like Human Lanterns too much, and I'd already seen Seeding of a Ghost. I enjoyed the women-in-prison flick Bamboo House of Dolls, which is right up there with any of the Jack Hill movies. Of course, I mostly watch the kung-fu. It's great having such a rich history of movies right at your fingertips, and since the Shaw Bros spans such a large timeline, you can see the influence of stars like Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. The pre-Lee kung fu movies have really BAD martial arts; they're more story-driven. Then the later movies use the environment and emphasize stunt work over ther fights.

but anyway, onto Oily Maniac which I watched last night. Um, it's interesting, that's for sure. Bad special effects and opticals, gratuitous topless women, obvious rip off of the Jaws theme (oddly enough, it still sounds like an original composition. I'm surprised they didn't just lift the Jaws theme completely. After all, the film We Are Going to Eat You openly uses the music from Suspiria). It's too silly to take seriously, and my favorite part of the film was the final confrontation with the monster which is more kung-fu than horror. Although the accompanying guide with the ZiiEagle says this film was heavily censored for violence, and reading an interview that my good friend Dr. Craig Reid did with Danny Lee confirms it. Too bad we'll likely never see the cut footage.