Old Horror Films at Archive.org

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Anaestheus, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I don't know if you folks knew this. but archive.org has a whole bunch of classic "gems" on their site for free download. It's mainly public domain films like Night of the Living Dead and Dementia 13. But, they've also got some things like Lady Frankenstein and Driller Killer allegedly uncut. As well as some vintage silent films like Edison's Frankenstein and Chaney's Phantom of the Opera. And the quality is pretty decent for free.

They've also got a bunch of old Lumiere films, for those who are into that sort of thing.

Here's a quick link to get the curious started:

http://archive.org/details/SciFi_Horror

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  2. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

They got a lot of trailers as well. I visit the site about once a month to see what's newly uploaded. I like their stock footage archive. You'll find some interesting stuff in there.

They also host a lot of concert recordings (audio).

3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

wow, nearly 200,000 downloads for Lady Frankenstein. I wonder if it is the uncut version.
    Thanks for the link. There are a few titles I'll check out.

4. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

As I was one of those nearly 200K, I can at least confirm that there is a decent amount of nudity in this one. However, this is the only version I have seen, so I can't comment on whether or not anything has been cut.

5. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I checked out Don't Look in the Basement and Assignment Terror. I only scanned them and both were pretty poor quality. Does this seem to be the case for most of the content on this site?

6. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

The short answer is yes. I downloaded several films a few months back and encountered serious encoding errors. There are some good files there. But a lot of their content was clearly encoded by amateurs.

7. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Most of these films also appear on those cheap-o DVD sets at various budget bins (using the same files). There are some nice encodes, one of which is of "The Terror"!