Oldboy

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Deaddevilman, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Another great film out of Korea. Oh Da Sue is kidnapped and kept in a room for 15 years with TV being his only contact with the outside world. One day he wakes up in a suitcase on the roof of a building free. What follows is a two hour revenge themed, sadistic, twisted look at the mind of humanity. There's a great hallway fight scene that puts any other fight scene filmed to shame. Yes, even those in Fight Club. I was glued to my seat as Oh Da Sue slowly discovers the reason why he was kidnapped. Evil evil evil is all I can say.

Don't miss this one. I got the 2 disc version from Korea. Plenty of good extras, unfortunately these are not subtitled, but are still fun to watch. Get this one today.

2. latenite

latenite Guest

This movie definitely lives up up to its hype. I would buy it in a heartbeat, but I don't own a region-free player right now. I didn't think much of Korean flicks because the only one I've seen before Oldboy was Attack The Gas Station! but damn.... this movie kills, I'm gonna start checking out movie Korean movies. I heard it was based on a Japanese comic book. Really great movie, fuck waiting for the US theatrical release, buy this now if you are region-free!!

3. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Yeah... wanna get this too. I'm region free so might pick it up soon. :)
    Another good Korean film is Musa. Has anyone else seen this? I love this movie... I need the soundtrack.
    :)

4. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

I Bloody Loved it.

5. Numania

Numania Guest

This sounds great. The Koreans love revenge pics, eh? If this is anything close to as good as Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance, I'm all over it.

6. broadwayrock

broadwayrock Guest

It was directed by the same director as Sympathy For Mr Vengance.

Its also a lot better than it too.

7. BloodMan

Just ordered the region 3 - 2 disc today. Can't wait for it. :)

8. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I got the 2-disc SE today. I know absolutely nothing about this movie, haven't even read this thread.
    Bought it because DDM kept bugging us with Oldboy at the chat :D
    I'll post my thoughts once I watched it.

9. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Haha, that's the same reason I got it Helly.

I thought it was mostly pretty average, maybe slightly above..but the ending, that is what really pushed it ahead for me. Never even saw it coming.

10. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

When you say pushed it ahead Def, would that mean that you would perhaps recommend it as a blind buy to fans of Asian cinema?

11. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Savini, I know more then a few will disagree with me, but I would only advise this as a blind buy if you've seen alot of Asian stuff and are looking for something new. There are quite a few things I would recommend ahead of this one.

Like I said, I did enjoy it, but the only truely outstanding part to me was the ending. That's just my opinion though.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2004
  12. Numania

Numania Guest

Welp, ordered this puppy today. Can't wait to watch it.

13. DrGerbil

DrGerbil Member

Just know that an Ultimate Edition is supposed to be out this October... :fire:

14. BloodMan

Love this movie. Just finished watching it. Great movie!
    Gonna order the soundtrack now. :)

15. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Glad to hear everyone has ejoyed it.

16. poorlogic

poorlogic Guest

Count me in too DDM, I just got it last weekend and watched about 4 times, great fucking film - thanks for the heads up on this!

Be sure to let us know if you see Casshern while in Japan!

17. chi

chi Guest

I have to say, I really liked it. I'm curious what 3monster will be like, now.

The drawn out fight scene with the main character was nice. And with a knife in his back through most of it?
    The box scene, and a cut to the girl flapping her wings, trying to fly. Priceless.
    I also like the shifts toward the end. The man in the elevator reaches down, then we see him holding his sister...and the best, at the end, holding his hand up in an odd position, then cocking back his thumb. There are so many ways to do a scene like that wrong. I thought it was really tasteful and smooth.

I really didn't see the twist coming. It reminds me how hack Shyamalan is, though. In his hands, with that kind of reveal, he would have turned the rest of the plot into a lame setup to a sucker's punchline. Here, it just makes the movie stronger as a whole, I think.

Was the sushi scene supposed be a red herring for the 2nd box? "Feel my hand, it's cold," etc?

The ending on the smile motif was nice, as well.

18. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Chi... this might help you out. Sushi chefs are known to have cold hands, making sushi with warm hands ruins the taste. I was told this buy an old sushi chef in Japan. I don't think there was any meaning behind the statement in the film.

19. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Ok I enjoyed it. Reminded me of Fight Club mixed with Memento for some reason. Cool flick though, with a few yucks thrown in.
    Kinda artsy (I like artsy), violent and a shocking ending (kinda figured out that part halfway through). The guy playing the lead looked a lot like Gary Oldman :)

Highly recommended. Thanks again for making me check this out DDM.

20. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

I'd like to get everyone's impression of the ending. As mine has recently changed.

After the first couple viewings I thought Ohdasue had his memories erased and would enjoy his new life. Now after a couple of viewings I belive that the Monster actually returned and it was Ohdasue who walked away. We see his reflection in the window with the Monster walking away but when we return to the snow they show us the footsteps walking away and at the end of those a U turn. Plus that final smile of his just convinced me that the Monster is the one who came out on top.