Oldboy

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Deaddevilman, Jul 3, 2004.

1. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

Just watched this a few days ago, thought I would comment. I thought the movie was very good, but not quite worth the hype its gotten. I actually enjoyed Sympathy/Vengence better because it seemed alot more edgy and brutal, also faster paced, no one was safe which was something I liked, despite the fact it was a downer of a movie.

Anyways I think I went into this with different expectations, I wanted the entire movie to be about him stuck in this room, I think that would have been VERY interesting, an overview of his 15 years in there. And then maybe the last 30 minuets dealing with him seeking out revenge, and
    the entire father/daughter thing could have been left out, it seems that was just a big distraction put in so in the end they could go 'look, isnt that shocking??"
    Instead what I just mentioned in the spoiler became the main plot, and was not really what I had gone into expecting. I mean in the end it had some great twists and shocking moments, but I really wish those 15 years werent handled so quickly, and then put aside for the 'fucked up, isnt this shocking?' plot.

Deaddevilman, as for the ending,
    I dont know if it was that big of an issue for me if it was Daesu or the monster because in the end, the daughter remembered everything, she is bound to bring it up again, or even -want it- again so what was the point if she still remembered?

Anyways, really good, but very different from what I had been expecting

2. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I just picked this one up from Poker Industries table at Horrorfind. I'll post my thoughts on it in a few days.

3. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Haha. I picked it up from Poker Industries at Horrorfind as well. Definitely a very strange film, but still great. I'm going to have to watch it again.

4. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

I wasn't able to see Casshern this trip but some good news... it will be released on DVD with English subtitles in October!

5. Andrew

Andrew Guest

And for the low low price of $56.49! It does look very interesting though, so if a cheaper HK or Korean disc shows up I'll have to snag it.

As a side note, did any of you see MEMORIES OF MURDER yet?

Edit: I just realized I de-railed this thread in two different ways. To bring it back on topic, OLDBOY was great.

6. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Memories of Murder is really good. :) Saw it back in April I believe. Gonna have to give her a spin again soon me thinks.

7. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Back to Oldboy... the 4 disc "Limited Ultimate Edition" is out in October.

[​IMG]

The extras are:
    I would get this in a heartbeat if the extras were subtitled in English, but somehow considering Starmax's track record I kinda doubt it. The soundtrack, book, short films, and packaging are almost enough to get me to shell out the $100, but considering I recently got the 2-discer I can't really justify the expense. But for those of you who can understand Korean...

8. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

that looks like a beautiful set. Although for how much I enjoyed the movie I'm perfectly happy with the r3 special edition I have now, no need for me to double dip

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I finally got around to seeing Oldboy last night. Wow...what a mind-f**k of a movie. The fight scene already mentioned is quite possibly the best I've ever seen on film.

If I can throw in my 2 cents about Casshern though, I gotta say I was not overwhelmed by it. We were able to get a screener copy on VHS, to see if we wanted to put it in our festival. For reasons I won't get into, they've decided we won't be able to show it (why give us the screener then?). But we weren't that down, as the entire programming staff was relatively unimpressed by it, and we were only going to include it because we knew it would be a major draw.

Now, I'd need to see it on the big screen to fully appreciate it, and it's definitely a good movie, but it's nothing close to the action packed sci-fi spectacle the trailers make it out to be. If ya want some action, definitely check out Ong-Bak, like DDM mentioned. There's a pretty good Korean film called Arahan that also doesn't skimp on the action.

I'm sure I'd like Casshern a lot more on a big screen instead of a crummy VHS screener, but even then I don't think I'd call it a "must-see"

to go back on topic, Oldboy is a damn fine movie...

10. Rainbowthief

Rainbowthief Guest

I've probably seen Oldboy a dozen times already since buying the DVD and it's easily the best movie I've seen this year. Instead of the Grand Prix at Cannes, it deserved the Palm d'Or. Just a great movie with a daring script and inspired directing, not to mention a fantastic score.

I don't know if there's any truth to this or not, but a few people at the IMDB boards are saying that a U.S. studio bought the rights already and instead of releasing it, they're remaking it with Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp. I don't know which will play Daesu and which will play Evergreen, but I don't see either one pulling it off and I really like Depp.

That Ultimate Edition looks great, but I'll pass. The two disc set is just fine and since I can't read Korean and the extras won't have subs, it would be a waste of money.

11. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I could've swore that I read that it was going to get a limited theatrical release in the states.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  12. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Count me in on loving Oldboy. I got the 2 disc edition and the film is great. I also loved the hallway fight scene. I was out of breath just watching him fight like that. And the elevator after that.....hilarious. Add in the excellent ending and you got one fantastic film.

13. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

It would be a shame if this film was remade with Depp and Pitt. Given the non PC plot of the film... I assume a US release with the same story/twist/ending would be very difficult to put on the big screen. Sam Fuller tried something along the same vien with The Naked Kiss and it nearly destroyed his career.

14. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

If anyone else here is going to The Toronto Film fest it's going it's be shown there in September. I haven't seen it yet so it will be a nice intoduction seeing it on the big screen.

15. Rainbowthief

Rainbowthief Guest

A remake would be pointless because there's no way they'd leave the story intact and even if they did, there are too many other factors that make Oldboy so extraordinary: the performances, the score, Chan-wook Park's direction. And can you imagine how test audiences would react to the ending?

16. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

I hear there is a DC of it coming out. There was a thread mentioning it at an australian site, but I don't have any details. It is stopping me getting it however....

17. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

18. marcx

marcx New Member

Does anyone know if there is a cut version of oldboy? I saw the film and loved it but the version I saw seemed a little tame in some areas people have described. Particularly the hall fight and dentistry stuff, and the hammer. could someone tell me if those scenes include graphic violence?

I mean I loved the film, but i ownder if I saw an incomplete version...

19. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

I have the 2 disc region 3 release and the dentist thing wasn't that bad really... its just the way it was filmed and the sounds I think that make it that much more harsh for viewers. I have never heard of a cut version... yet.

20. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

The hallway scene was done in one take, so if it is cut, you'd know.