Oldboy

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Deaddevilman, Jul 3, 2004.

1. DrGerbil

DrGerbil Member

Not cut... the BBFC gave Oldboy an 18 certificate with no cuts. There are no cuts on the R3 DVD. If you got a R0 boot off ebay, however, all bets are off.

2. marcx

marcx New Member

well here's the deal--I bouth a disc region 1 set in alegitimate up and up store so I htought it was real--but it appears to be a copy of the legitamate one---

weird as this was fro m like a chain store....

anyway I gues it must be uncut as its copied direct from the 2 disc...

May have to re-buy this one day....any word on if that DC rumor is true...

3. DrGerbil

DrGerbil Member

No Director's Cut... only a rumor, and a bad one at that. The movie you see is Park's film through and through. I don't see any deleted scenes being reinserted, either. :fire:

4. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Entertaining and visually breathtaking movie....
    Watched this last night and guessed the twist early on...and then forgot my initial thoughts until the end.
    My thoughts are that
    she doesn't know that he's her father so it is important who's left. As she didn't open the box, she can't have guessed his identity.
    I think it's "good" Daesu at the end. The "evil" smile was probably as a result of all the pain / suffering he'd been through.

5. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

O-de-su. Odysseus. There is a LOT of ancient greek tragedy in the masterpiece known as Oldboy and Park has admitted than countless times on interviews.

What a great great film.

6. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

I'm surprised the octopus bit got past the BBFC. They are usually very tough on animal cruelty. In fact I'd prefer a version without that.

And the ending sort of lost me. I guess it is that after that "Scott Tenerman Must Die" South Park episode, all complex revenge scenarios just pale in comparison to Cartman's evil magnificence. I mean even the excuse for the revenge was so fucking lame it was embarassing. I was like "Get over it. Try looking in the fucking mirror if you want someone to blame".

Up to that point it was a great film.

I got the official HK version, and it has a nice transfer.

7. The Chaostar

I disagree on your octapus remark napalm. It is very important for the establishment of the character to have him eat something Alive. He needs to "eat life" in the cruelest way possible.

8. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

You have some serious issues if you believe South Park has anything over this film. :D Now go get a spine and eat something that's alive. The power you'll feel will do wonders for you!

9. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

Cartman's evil revenge seriously kicked the ass of that rich pussy in Old Boy.:p

And eating something alive being important to the film? Man, this world is too fucked up if people seriously think bullshit like that is true. Especially it not being an effect. Animal cruelty is on par with pedophilia. Animals generally have even less of a means of defending themselves than a child (ie, no family, social services, CRIMINAL law, etc to protect them).

10. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

PETA - People for the Eating of Tasty Animals... rotten cotton rocks!

11. Luna

Luna Guest

Okay, I really have to get around to seeing this movie, and soon.

12. Numania

Numania Guest

He eats it, though. Animals are food. Children are not sex objects.
    I really cannot see your rationale on this.

13. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Maybe you think it's cruelty, but then you might as well walk into a McDonalds and tell someone eating their Big Mac that what they're doing is on par with pedophilia. Someone here said (it may have even been a few pages back in this thread) that eating live squid isn't an uncommon occurance in Asian countries.

14. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

I tend to agree. I kept thinking I had missed something important because what happened to Odesu was like 500 times worse than what happened to the other guy. It just didnt add up

15. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

Exactly. I mean the Old Boy didn't even know the names of the two schoolkids he saw, let alone that they were siblings.

I don't even think I'll keep the CD. Overhyped. Even the fight scene wasn't that great. I kept waiting to see blood... I'll give them it was one shot, but that's it.

16. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

That's the beauty of the story. An event takes place that has no meaning in his life, until later, has a devistating effect on the lives of others.

17. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

It didn't cause a devastating effect, that is the issue. Rich pretty boy might have been looking for someone else to blame, so at a real imaginative stretch blamed the old boy. It is a less imaginitave stretch (and just as ridiculous) people putting the blame on Walter Cronkite for the American loss in Vietnam

On a complex revenge scenario the whole thing was just too contrived. And the old boy breaking down like that at the end was too out of character. I'd have expected more "Mate, your a wanker. Blame yourself you rich fuck. You fucked her and she couldn't live with it. And you were there when she jumped. How dare you fucking blame me" (and then proceed to beat him to death with a hammer).

And it still pales besides Cartman... :D

18. J-Dub

J-Dub Guest

If you live in Southern California, go see it when it opens for a week run starting 3/25. I'm gonna hold off on seeing it till then.

19. rhett

rhett Administrator

I admired the film for its style, but I agree with napalm about how contrived the film was. It waited much too long until it showed its hand, leading us on for 90 minutes without story until the real punch of the last half hour kicked in. The last 30 are great, very emotionally charged and nicely shot, but it was too little, too late for me. I cared more about camera shots than I did characters, and you know a film is flawed when that happens. Odesu's massive breakdown at the end seemed a little unprecidented too, especially the bit with the tongue. What?

I'd recommend the film, but I certainly didn't love it the way everyone else seems to. Nonetheless, an ambitious work.

20. The Chaostar

How I can answer to that without insulting you?

Anyway, the animal cruelty mumbling has no meaning when the animal is eaten , alive or not. Apocalypse Now, Deep Red, Japon, all these great films include scenes with animal slaughter or cruelty. If it's used and is justified dramatically - and not many directors can pull this off - then they have my admiration. When they use it just for to provoke, then fuck them. It is very important for him to eat something alive. Seriously.