Oldboy

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Deaddevilman, Jul 3, 2004.

1. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Where can I find this 2 disk dvd set at???

Thankz

2. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

3. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

It got an R-rating, apparently unedited. Kind of surprised me. Glad to see this is getting some recognition in the states before the inevitable remake.

4. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

5. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Damn it. Nothing even remotely close to me. Can't wait till I go to New York, more theaters that play good movies.

6. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

For those who haven't seen it yet, you can watch the trailer here.

7. Trucci

Trucci Guest

8. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

I've had this on DVD for quite some time, glad I've held off because I'm going to try to see it theatrically this month. I hope it's as good as it's reputation suggests.

9. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

Brilliant just brilliant! Best, most Absorbing / Dark Asian Thriller ive seen in a long time :)

10. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Guest

I just finished watching this film and I loved it. The build up to the ending was very well done and I couldn't wait to find out the "whole" story. I can't even begin to imagine how a remake will go over and I will be the first one to order my friends watch the original before seeing any hack job remake.

P.S. THe soundtrack is awesome as well. I think I'll be picking that up at some point.

11. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I finally bought this last night. I waited way too long. Still haven't watched the disc yet, but I did see it in theaters and really enjoyed it. I just wish that BB 2-pack with Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance wasn't an Oldboy UMD, but a DVD. Fuck UMDs.

12. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

If anyone still wants the R2 Oldboy, now's a pretty good time to get it from Amazon UK at only 3.97GBP (80% off)!

Now if they'd only have a similar discount on Battle Royale!

13. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

just finished watching this and I must say, I was very pleased with it. the acting is superb, the music and direction fit everything nicely and it has many twists.

About the motivation of 'the rich boy'

the revenge isn't the 15 years imprisonment that Oh Dae Su had experienced, the revenge is putting him into the same situation Woo Jin had all those years ago. He loved his sister and he made Oh Dae Su loving his daughter. Since Oh Dae Su 'talked too much' (his gossip supposedly lead to the suicide/murder), he tries to persuade Woo Jin not to tell the truth to Mi-Do by cutting off his tongue and so making himself unable to ever speak again. Woo Jin kills himself in the elevator since his purpose in life (revenge) has been completed. I have to say that I understood this not because of the picture book Oh sees or the image of Mi-Do with the wings, but him breaking down, because at that moment he snaps because he realises that he is in love with his daughter. At the end, he tries hypnosis so he can continue loving Mi-Do as a women, without the knowledge that it is his daughter.

Obviously, the remake will be a sweet story compared to this one but we'll better wait until the thing has been made. And if it sucks, we put the makers in a sealed-off hotel room with only the Oldboy-remake on TV ;-)

14. Damed

Damed Guest

Watched this recently.

While indeed a decent film, I found it nowhere near met my epectations for it after reading all the praise. I blind bought it, and will probably sell it as I can't see myself watching it again. To each their own I guess