OLED image retention/screen burn

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by shape22, Mar 5, 2020.

1. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

All right, folks. I need trustworthy advice. I'm considering a new OLED TV, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger because of all the talk of image retention and screen burn. I'm not a big television fan, so that type of content wouldn't be a problem. But the manufacturer warnings mention letter or pillar-boxed images as potential causes of these issues--and THAT would be a deal killer. No 2.35 or 1.33 aspect ratio films? FUNGOOL, OLED.

Who owns an OLED TV? Have you experienced any of these issues? Are you careful about how you use your TV? Is all of this talk just hype?

Educate me, please. Thanks in advance.

Katatonia and soxfan666 like this.
  2. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat! I keep reading it is the best picture quality by a mile, but... I’m shaking in my boots about the burn-in.

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah I've always worried about this with OLED. My phone screen is OLED and seems fine so far after about a years use, but I'm still skeptical of the technologies longevity. Alternatively QLED's look quite impressive and I've heard other tech like micro LED's are being developed for future tvs that sound promising.

soxfan666 likes this.
  4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I got a LG C7.
    Two years in, and no sign of burn in.
    Even after long sessions of playing videogames.
    It used to be a problem on older models though.

soxfan666, shape22 and Zombie Dude like this.
  5. sinister

sinister Active Member

Some of the OLED TV's do an "anti-burn in" wear levelling thing with the display panel while in standby mode, so apparently it's important not to switch them off at the mains overnight otherwise burn in can become noticeable.

Burn in was possible with CRT sets as well but was rarely an issue, so I wouldn't really worry about it too much.

I ran a CRT projector for over 15 years and it did suffer from burn in on the middle section where "widescreen" movies were displayed (on a pure white screen you could see a lighter band at the top + bottom) but I evened it up a bit by displaying bright white bars top/bottom for a few days. It wasn't until the tubes had about 5000+ hours of use that the burn in become noticeable and by 8000 hours they were pretty toasty, so maybe you could find equivalent figures for an OLED display and work out your usage and whether it would be a problem.

Got a JVC digital projector now and no more burn in, but the lamp needs replaced every 2000 hours or so and isn't cheap.

6. shape22

Thanks for the replies, folks. I pulled the trigger and got an LG 55C9PUA. It's here, but I've had a few hectic days in a row, so I'm finally getting around to setting it up today. I'm not the type to just plug in a new TV. I need time to calibrate.

I'm looking forward to checking out some classic Universal monsters and film noirs tonight. The deep blacks should really enrich that kind of content.

Myron Breck likes this.
  7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Shape, I don't know about OLEDs, but plasmas (like I have) are subject to burn-in. And one thing they recommend is that the TVs go through a "break-in" period. During this period, they recommend using the full image of the screen. I.E., no letterboxed films. Your classic films will be window-boxed, with black bars on the side. Not sure if that's a good idea or not.

shape22 and zbinks like this.
  8. shape22

Dang! I did some basic calibrating with Spears & Munsil and finally sat down for some test viewing. Even with the OLED light set at 60 (out of 100), the picture is far brighter and more vibrant than my Samsung LCD ever was (yeah, I know it was old). I'm watching some of Browning's Dracula now, and the OLED contrast superiority is truly spectacular. Image crispness is vastly improved, too, even with sharpness dialed way back.

Thanks for the suggestions, Paff! I've done an OCD amount of reading up on all of this. Keeping the OLED light level down appears to eliminate virtually any chance of permanent burn-in. OLEDs do a pixel refresher after every 4 hours of viewing (while the TV is off), and a more rigorous refresher is available if it's needed. Most of the OLED burn-in issues are related to torch mode.

Initial impressions of this thing are awesome! I'm psyched to dig into my unwatched pile. I have A TON of film noirs waiting there. But tonight...SUSPIRIA!

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  9. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

It looks great.
    Do you own the UHD disc?

Watching horror, with perfect blacks again (like the old CRT's), is just amazing.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  10. shape22

Humorously enough, I own it, but I can't watch it. I snapped up the disc when the price is right, but I still don't have an UHD player. That's going to have to wait for another day. The blu will do for now.

I got sidetracked tonight, so I didn't get to watch it.

Steel76 likes this.
  11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Xbox can play UHD and games ;) I also have a Samsung UHD player I imported for region 1 blurays.

Steel76 likes this.