One Missed Call (Merged Threads)

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by DVD Connoisseur, Oct 31, 2004.

1. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

DVDC's Asian DVD of the Month - November: One Missed Call

Takashi Miike's Chakushin ari (2003), aka One Missed Call, was my "Saturday night special" last night.

After Audition and Ichi The Killer, I had great expectations for this movie. What it delivers is essentially the "greatest hits" of Asian horror. There's more than a passing resemblence to The Ring, with bits of Ju-On and other films thrown in for good measure.

The film revolves around mobile 'phones. A girl has a message left on her mobile 'phone answering service - only it's been left by herself and in the future! To make matters worse, it ends with a blood curdling scream! Well, it soon turns out that the message is the girl's final words on this mortal coil.

The girl is not alone. It's only a matter of time before the body count starts rising and a race against time begins to solve the mystery of the bizarre calls.

Despite being more than a shade Ringu-clone-esque, I heartily enjoyed this film. It has some great set-pieces (including a memorable death), some spooky moments, a few "jump" sequences, etc. What the film didn't deliver, though, was any real fear. It was a case of "seen it all before" (a criticism that some levelled at Ju-On).

The plot unravels in a logical manner and there's a decent pay off. It may not be a future classic, but this is a very well made example of Asian horror cinema.

My rating: 8 out of 10 for a stylish addition to Miike's portfolio

2. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Ya, enjoyed this quite a bit as well. It does borrow quite a bit from all those other films but Miike does a good job rockin' em out. :) Good film.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Made that my Halloween night viewing, and I gotta say, it really freaked me out!

Yes, it relied on the "jumps" and sudden scares more than real fear, but what the hell, it worked. The DTS soundtrack goes a long way towards that. The entire abandoned hospital sequence alone is worth the price of the disc. Not as well-crafted a tale as say, A Tale of Two Sisters, but still solid. Highly recommended.

4. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Is there an R1 of this yet?

5. J-Dub

J-Dub Guest

One Missed Call

Anyone seen Takashi Miike's "One Missed Call" yet? Is it worth getting?

6. Luna

Luna Guest

I haven't seen it yet, but it's definitely on my "to get" list next time I do a huge purchase at DDDhouse. :D

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I really dug it.

Nothing new story-wise, it's pretty similar to Ring. But there are some scenes that will really creep you out, and if you have DTS, there were a few sound effects that literally made me yell out. Long time since a movie has done that to me.

8. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

I'd say it's worth getting, but it's not great.

The main thing that brings it down is that it's so familiar. Alot of the scenes could easily be confused with stuff from Ringu, Juon or Dark Water. Not that I really have a problem with that since I like those films alot, it's just that I got the "been there done that" feeling, which helped to keep it from truely standing out as great. Dispite that feeling though, some of the scenes are cool, no matter how many times they've been done elsewhere.

I totally didn't get scared, creeped out or anything from this film though, so I can't agree with Paff there.

9. Yes. No.

10. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

does it have any of Miike's usual "odd" occurances or is it just a straight scary movie?

11. Neither really.

12. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

I liked it a lot. So did my wife actually

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Just as an FYI, Media Blasters is planning a small theatrical roll-out of this one later this year. I'm not sure of the numbers yet, I'll try to find out more info. But my guess is that if you live in or near a major city with an "arthouse" theater, you'll have a chance to see it on the big screen.

14. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

15. Blade

Blade Guest

Miike has nothing to do with the sequel, right? I bought One Missed Call knowing exactly what to expect, and it delivered. Cheap scares, zero originality, little entertainment. Like others have said: you've seen all this before, many times (well, if you watch alot of these Asian movies that is). I only purchased it because it's directed by Miike, but you can't really tell by watching the movie. I'd say skip it if you're looking for something even remotely fresh.

16. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

17. Luna

Luna Guest

Y'know, I'll give a remake an honest chance, but will they JUST FUCKING STOP ALREADY?

Please?!

Gah!

18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

NOT IF PEOPLE KEEP GOING TO SEE THEM!

I brought up the "No Remakes Club" idea a few months ago, and it didn't go over well. Seems a lot of people like many remakes, and I'm one of them. At least in the past. But this new trend is a step above Carpenter and Cronenberg remaking some childhood favorites into modern interpretations. There IS NO re-interpreting going on nowadays. It's just, take a good idea, and re-do it with familiar faces (or to be more accurate with the Asian remakes, non-Asian faces)

It's gotta stop, and it's up to US to make the first steps (why should they stop if they're making money on it? Huh?)

DO NOT GO SEE THESE REMAKES. Buy the originals on DVD, or see them if they play a film festival. But do not spend your money on the remakes. Only then will they get the idea

19. Luna

Luna Guest

To be honest, the only way I'll see this remake is if I rent it from my local library once it's finally out on DVD or maybe if I can catch it on 50 cent day at my local dollar theater. It's quite a rare occasion nowadays that I'll catch something at a theater while it's still fresh. Whenever I hear something like this is up for a remake, if I haven't already seen the original, I usually wind up ordering it, just so I can have the experience of the original first. It does really irk me how they keep remaking foreign films... god forbid an audience should have to read subtitles, y'know? :sleepy:

20. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I watched this last night and thought it was pretty good. It was pretty well remade from several other Japanese films we have seen, but still effective enough to be worth a look. However, the ending was sort of a mess from where I am sitting. I felt just so...unhappy when it was over it almost made me forget how much I liked it up until that point. Maybe I will rewatch it in a few days and see if I can make more sense out of it then.