One Missed Call (Merged Threads)

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by DVD Connoisseur, Oct 31, 2004.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--The main thing that brings it down is that it's so familiar.--

Yeah, I've seen this one in the stores, but really, the plot if so familiar I just can't be bothered with it. Actually, reading the back of the box gave me a bit of a yawn. Love my asian horror, but you have to draw the line somewhere. I think I'd rather try something new.

2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I finally got a chance to see this last weekend… Hmm It was good I suppose above average j-horror but like people have mentioned an all too familiar plot that really didn't add anything new. Which surprised me especially being directed my Mikki. I just didn't think it reached the levels of what I consider the Japanese "A" films i.e Ringu, Kiaro, Dark Water, Audition, Uzumaki ect. I would probably put it in the same ballpark as say the S.Korean film "The Phone". Which isn’t bad.

3. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Just gave this a watch and it took me a while to get into it - actually started nodding off about 25 minutes in, but quickly got a second wind,. I felt like the first half was kinda disjointed and not all that interesting. The second half however had some pretty cool scenes and creepy imagery - glad I stuck it out. Yes, the Ring and Ju-on come to mind a few times, but I wouldn't let that deter someone from watching it.

4. UFAlien

UFAlien New Member

Major thread necro, but I was surprised to see absolutely no discussion of anything but the first film here, so...

First off: The original One Missed Call is one of my favorite horror movies, period. As pointed out by everyone ever, the plot structure and overall concept is not even remotely original - something I noticed right off the bat, since I'd already seen Ringu. But this movie is consistently able to scare the hell out of me, both with shocks and some pretty good suspense (especially in the hospital scene). To be completely honest - and here's the part where I get mauled - I like it better than its obvious inspirations Ringu and Ju-On. Ringu is a very good film with potent atmosphere, but it didn't live up to my expectations and I sometimes find it a bit boring. Ju-On was a laugh riot to me - every time it tried to scare me it was just so bizarre and awkward I thought it was hysterical. But One Missed Call took those elements and made them work for me - really well, in fact.

As for the first sequel, One Missed Call 2: It's okay, I guess. The opening scene is pretty damn great, moody, atmospheric, and well-connected to the original. From there, the first half-hour or so is rather bland and basically a rehash of the original, including a strikingly similar death scene, but moves along at a nice, quick pace. It also introduces the first twist; in this movie, answering the phone for someone else when they get the cursed call means you die in their place. The middle part of the film is unfortunately very slow and rather boring, with little of the atmosphere or style that made the original work. The story moves to Taiwan for much of the film, as the lead characters investigate the origins of the curse - which go much deeper than previously thought and involve an entirely separate vengeful ghost girl. The climax can't live up to the first at all, and the movie is generally not very scary. But there are a couple of really good twists in the final act, including one in the very last scene that I'll admit had me gasping. The plot may be too convoluted for some (it can take multiple viewings to piece things together), and there's a dead zone in the middle, but it's a decent diversion if you liked the first one.

The third film, One Missed Call: Final, follows a class on a trip to South Korea as they are haunted by a new version of the curse, which has some connection to a bullied classmate of theirs. The movie basically ignores One Missed Call 2, save for the concept of answering the phone and dying for someone else. Instead of using that sequel's expanded backstory, this third entry decides to incorporate a bit of a Battle Royale twist - the person who gets the cursed message can forward it to someone else and spare themselves, but it can only be forwarded once - and the new victim dies immediately. This leads to some nice dramatic scenes as characters fight over one another's fates. Unfortunately, that concept is just about the only good part of the movie. The film looks and feels cheaper and less polished than the other two, with some really ropey CGI and lighting effects. The scares, for the most part, don't work - instead they often devolve into silliness. And the climax is cliched and idiotic, grounded entirely in a fundamental misunderstanding of how e-mail works. There is, of course, a final twist, but it lacks the punch of the previous entry. The third film is really not worth it for anyone but series diehards or Asian horror completists.

The American remake isn't completely worthless, but it's sure not good either. The runtime is truncated, the kills are toned down, and the ending is replaced with an awful, left-field piece of dreck that is both a deus ex machina and a cliffhanger (and also makes no sense and renders an entire subplot pointless and unresolved). That said, I admire that they tried something different here in that they didn't just port over the original film's long-haired girl ghost. Not only has the main ghost been redesigned, but along with her are some other ghastly, more Western-looking apparitions - most notably a woman with extra mouths where her eyes should be, as featured on the poster. Most of them are fairly creepy, though sometimes marred by less-than-spectacular effects work (in one shot it appears that an intended effect was actually not applied, leaving the ghastly ghoul looking like a perfectly normal person). There's also one creature - a CGI demon baby holding a cell phone - that is just uproariously, unintentionally hilarious. But there's some decent atmosphere, nice cinematography, and a few creepy bits (though strictly of the slight chill variety; this version of the movie isn't really scary). It's an interesting companion piece to the original but not a good movie on its own.

Has anyone else seen any of the films in the series besides the first?

5. NaNa

NaNa New Member

Nope... those are the only 3 movies in that franchise (I guess) but the first was the best among the rest. I loved the Japanese version. It was more creepier than the English remake.