Ong Bok: Thai Warrior

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by poorlogic, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

We're talking about official releases, not bootlegs. Until the Region 1 DVD comes out, there is still no official DVD with English subtitles.

2. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

i bought this from Bali earlier this year.. it's clearly a boot and has really bad sub titling.. i saw it at the theatres earlier this year too and the subtitling was much much better.. definitely one where you're better off waiting for an official release

3. shift

shift Hot as shit!

PAFF- the one I go does have Eng sub titles. Also widescreen format.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Then it's a bootleg

5. shift

shift Hot as shit!

I am sure it is. But it has a screen menu and all. Even DTS.

BTW.....if you liked OngBak and you want to see some crazy action with no regard to life of the stuntmen, order "Born to Fight" can be had on DVD for 7.50 shipped from ethaicd.com .
    Its made by the same fight choreographer who made OngBak.
    It does not come in any english versions (not even subtitles), but thats ok because the story is so simplistic that you can easily figure out whats going on.
    Im quite positive that more than a few stuntment were seriously injured filming this movie. Theres no wires and CGI crap. One stuntman gets kicked off the top of a moving semi-truck hits and comes within a foot of getting his head run over by the wheels (not on purpose!)

6. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Ya, Born to Fight is frikkin awesome. The last like... 40 minutes is one big fight. :) That motorcycle thing... goddamn. :) :)

7. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Just saw the Thai version on the Aussie disk and it's worth the bucks. The subs are very literate and easy to read.

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Finally watched this one tonight.

The plot obviously lets it down too, even in this day and age when it's enough, it seems, to stub the toe of a stranger in order to get gangsters coming after you - chasing a tin head around seems lightweight (culturally, of course, it might well work - just didn't translate as well to London).

The new score was good, but rescoring films is indeed a bit of a minefield. Stock sound or not, it was what was originally chosen. Remember the fuss when they rescored Night of the Living Dead? Well, why not here? (Don't answer that, the saving grace here is the new score was interesting and nicely dynamic). Include the original is all I'm saying. Glad the new one is there though (and it's NOT hip-hop).

My jaw stayed off the floor - but it IS a fun film. There's a couple of laughs, yes some good action, and a few "damn that's daft" moments. What's wrong with that you might ask? Nuttin! Of course, none of the melodrama worked. Even when a character dies I didn't feel anything. But hey - it's an action film. The golf cart - erm, Taxi chase was pretty silly too.

All in all a good film for a fun night in. For 7 quid, which I paid for it, it's definately worth picking up. You ought to have a good time. Perhaps with a more engaging narrative this one might have pegged higher. But I think they knew what they had with the stunts, and decided to stay with that. Not bad at all.

The UK R2 is cheap as chips, and is two discs packed with extras. Blah blah blah.

9. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I saw this when it had it's theatrical run in the States,terrific action ! It's amazing that nobody was killed during the making of this thing,it looks totally viscious.I look forward to Jaa's next picture .