opinion on the nightmare on elm street box set

Discussion in 'General' started by Paul0889, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

a little random, but outta boredom the other day I decided to skimp through the box set of the series. I know the first film's transfer is definitely crap by today's standards. It's dark and murky looking compared to the Infinifilm DVD and new blu ray. However, it does contain the original unaltered audio for the film, for both the 5.1 and mono tracks(the infinifilm dvd is screwed up on all the audio tracks missing a bunch of cues and stingers, as well as the canadian blu ray and new blu ray that was just out, although I'm told the new blu ray does contain the original unaltered mono track at least).

The rest of the series looks just okay. I remember when I first got the set, I thought how amazing the films looked. Today, I dunno if it was the 1080p upconversion on my dvd player, or the fact that the discs are pretty old(1999) but I thought the transfers were pretty ugly. Part 3 especially looks weird, I mean the print is in good shape, but it looked way too red(definitely not my tv) and littered with compression artifacts. Nightmare 4 looked better, but again way too red. I just wish we'd get a new blu ray box set of these. Hopefully there might be one if the remake does well.

any who, what is everyone else's opinion of the set? How well do you think the transfers hold up today, 11 years after its release?

2. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

they are all okay nothing great parts 2-7 are overdue for an hd 1080p transfer

3. Mitbox

Mitbox Member

The last time I watched the set was on a crt tv, and I thought they look pretty good (specially 4). You are going to make me watch them all again on a lcd tv now, and I know they won't look as good as on my old tv (don't expect the upconversion to do miracles). I was used to see them in VHS, so dvds looked great for me.
    I always thought Nightmare 3 was a little redish - orangeish tinted, since I didn't see it in theaters, don't know how it was supposed to look originally.

4. rhett

rhett Administrator

No matter what happens I'll never get rid of that box set. It came from a time when DVD was still just finding its footing, and New Line really experimented with the presentation and construction of that set in a way that companies today just wouldn't. Not only is the set lavishly crafted with the embossed, shiny cover, but it has that beautiful glossy booklet, the 3D glasses and that nice spine art that when combined makes a cool image of Freddy. I always liked the menus, the way they would morph from screen to screen like Freddy often would with his topical costumes. Of course, the whole labyrinth disc was hugely ambitious for the time, and even today...something again more experimental than anyone would get with DVD these days, that's for sure!

I really hope, though, that New Line sits down and gives each film a nice special edition like Paramount did with the Fridays. I cannot rest until someone at least owns up to all that gay repression subtext (it's so thick it's practically text) in Freddy's Revenge. Plus, it would be nice to see what all the teen actors are up to these days. Let's hope they're waiting until the October rush when the remake home video release will no doubt be happening.

5. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Rhett. It really is a nice package. I find the transfers to be still great (on my 1080i; crt) with 5.1 audio to boot. There won't be any need for an upgrade for me. I am not of the pixel counting ilk. If you are, then you'll always want better, so of course it's due for an upgrade. ;)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'll be happy with blu's of just the first three Nightmare's and New Nightmare. The others I wont be in a rush to get.

7. springjack

springjack New Member

Said...
    ________
    Ford Xc Falcon History

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011