Organ - Any Good?

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Andrew, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I've seen this disc from Synapse for awhile but was wondering if it was any good. Anyone pick this up?

2. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

I bought it when it first hit the streets.
    My memory of this film has faded but I was a little disappointed by the movie, from what I remember. It's quite a bizarre film - quite Cronenbergesque!
    As it's you, AndrewBBD, I'll review this for November's Asian Movie of the Month. Give me a little while to watch it again...

3. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Excellent! Thanks.

4. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

I highly recommend it. It's strange with plenty of gore.

5. Atmims

Atmims Guest

I thought it sucked, I bought the DVD watched about half the movie and fell asleep. I sold the DVD without even caring to see the rest. Maybe it get's better?

6. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

extremely bizzare, and hard to follow. it starts out with some story dealing with underground, black markets dealing human organs, then moves on to....I cant even tell, some strange love triangle relationship between a few characters, most of which are extremely difficult to tell apart. I wouldnt reccomend it unless your in the mood for a flat out bizzare movie, and some gore.

7. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

An excellent film that is quite bizarre, but that's always a good thing. The gore is, well, odd, but it fits this film perfectly. Highly recommended!

8. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

What I found interesting was that the issue of organ transplants was even approached. Especially since at the time this movie was made organ transpants simply did not happen in Japan and are still quite rare to this day. Now, that doesn't stop the Yakuza from having people who are unable to repay loans donate an organ in lieu of cash at hospitals in Singapore.

9. suspiria

suspiria Guest

bizzare and surreal sums it up.. think David Lynch on acid having sex with the creators of Evil Dead Trap and Hypnosis...

;)

10. krikon625

krikon625 Guest

it´s an okay movie, realy strange, whit some gore but not realy a goreflick. Not crappy, not a masterpiece!!

11. DVD Connoisseur

Apologies, AndrewBBD - I've not been able to watch this movie again yet. I think the above comments sum the film up, though. It's a very strange movie. Although it contains some striking images, it certainly wouldn't appear in my Top 10. I'd definitely recommend renting rather than buying this film as it's not to everybody's taste.

12. Andrew

Andrew Guest

No problem, I got a pretty good feel for it after reading these little summations here. I'd still like to see it, but I don't have any place near me that I could rent it from. I'll probably check it out some day down the road. Thanks for all the responses.

13. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

I like the film. Demented. And it always leaves me drained and a bit depressed.

14. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I saw this at a film festival at a midnight screening and I liked it. It's pretty sick, though, and a lot of people walked out in disgust. I have the DVD, which I won at another festival, but I haven't watched it yet. I definitely will, though. It's a very gritty, disturbing film.

15. etale

etale Guest

I know that Laser rangers' expert on Asian films loved it.

16. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Well I finally watched this today and have to say I was pretty weirded out by it. I had a hell of a time trying to follow the story but it was still interesting enough, and some of the scenes were flat out hilarious ("It smells, do you jack off in here?") while others were quite disgusting. I enjoyed it but can't say I'll be revisiting it anytime soon. All the same I'm glad to have it in my collection, so thanks for all the recomendations.

17. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Hah! I forgot about that part. That was pretty funny. I might check it out again since it's been so long since I last seen it. I usually never give a movie a second watch if I didn't like it but I will for Organ since I didn't see the whole thing.

18. DVD Connoisseur

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, AndrewBBD. The film's definitely one of the strangest (that I've seen) to emerge from asian cinema. I will have to revisit it at some point but it's quite a slow film and one where I'd have to be in the right mood. At the end of the day, though, it's a decent addition to an asian horror collection and a real "talking point" as many people won't be aware of the film.

But the DVD does feature the most mind-bendingly bad preview of a "sequel" that I can ever recall....

19. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Three years later and I can say - yes, yes it does. :lol:

Well, Organ was one of the movies I watched tonight. Months ago I had an abortive attempt at the film, turning it off after 15 minutes because - well I didn't know what the hell was going on.

So the first lesson I've learned is - alcohol and movies don't always mix. To get the most from this film you need to be stone cold sober, and wide awake. Substances will only disorient you, and this film is off-kilter enough without the aid of mind altering liquids.

There are two plots going on, and yes they do come together. However, this film is as much about ambiance and mood as it is anything else. The dirty, grimy, sweaty feel is just awesome. It's a film where the settings really add to the film - not in simply supporting a mood, but by having it seep out of the screen into your eyes. Basically the whole room felt fetid and dank watching what was going on. That's quite an achievement.

Mention has been made of the gore, and that's fair enough - there is some here. If you want to know the tone of the gore it's like late Guinea Pig films (if you've seen the Mermaid film, then you know what to expect, this is very similar in parts).

The question is, do the gore and settings really support the Cronenbergesque narrative? Well, personally I found it did, but you're going to have to keep an open mind throughout. This isn't a Canadian film, and it keeps a lot of the Asian mentality - so when they do body horror, it doesn't come out quite the same.

Now, I'm pretty sure I trashed this film elsewhere - so it's one of those times when I must do a reversal. Second time around I was quite enraptured. That's not to say I could follow the narrative from start to finish, this is one where you've got to let such demands fade away during the opening credits. But I was intrigued and interested at what was going to develop.

It's odd to combine what is essentially a pretty bog standard cop story, a revenge tale, with an existential parallel plot - because when they come together it all feels so jarring. But that's what has been attempted here, so we must just accept it. It will however challenge you, for good or bad. And if you're up for a challenge, then why not give it a go. I suspect you'll either be mystified of thoroughly fed up. :D

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  20. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

ORGAN was one of those rare occasions where i had to watch the movie 2 times in a row. I felt so confused after the first watch, that the second time i went shot by shot trying to understand. if the movie was bad, i wouldn't have even bothered. I think the main reason for my initial confusion was the plot description on the Synapse DVD is not 100% accurate.