original nightmare on elm street dvd box set discontinued!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by scaryguy88, Mar 6, 2010.

1. scaryguy88

scaryguy88 New Member

Guess they want to get sales up for the new box set dropping in april. the new one has freddy vs jason instead of the original nightmare encyclopedia bonus disc. anyone who doesnt have the original box set, nows the time to get it!!! before it's on ebay for $300 bux.The new box set is gonna' have the same transfers with less features and an extra movie you could buy seperate anyway, seriously what's the point? unless you want the new Jackie earle haley cover art......not!

2. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Who cares when they'll be a Blu-Ray box set right around the corner... ;)
    Nontheless, thanks for the dish.

3. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I'll give you a $250 deal on my NOES set, my man! You can turn it and make $50!

4. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

I'll sell you mine for $245!

5. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Heck with these guys....I'll sell mine for $199, and the Nightmare on Elm Street 4 DVD has been autographed by Lisa Wilcox!!! ;)

6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I see the individual Elm St. discs sold all of the time for $3-$5 a piece and even I won't touch them at that price because a) the only good film is the first one and b) they're in crappy snapper cases. Everybody who wanted that DVD box set probably already bought it a long time ago. It's been available for purchase for years. The only OOP DVDs that really fetch a premium are the ones that were only on shelves for a limited time (like Transformers Animated Season 2) or pulled before street date (like MGM's Clownhouse or Dark Sky's Kill Baby Kill).

7. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Add to that The Midnight Hour.

8. springjack

springjack New Member

I?ll kill for a re-release of clownhouse...
    ________
    Upskirt teen

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

:lol: why is this even surprising? The original DVD box set was in print for over a decade! If you haven't picked it up by now...

10. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Thursday made it out (mostly, my DD pre-order never got filled but I bought copies in stores) and I've sold 2 copiers for over $125 each, both of those within the first couple years of release.

Savage Streets was in print for a while, so was the Entity. Now they're crazy money if you missed them.

You're mostly right, the rarest and most expensive discs get pulled quick, but some random shit also gets up there and it's impossible to figure out why or what will be next. I'm looking forward to this going OOP as I've been sitting on an extra Encylopedia disc for years, just waiting to get my $3 back for it! If it's going OOP, I'm hoping to double my money. 5 years to make 3 dollars, now that's the American dream people!:lol::lol::lol:

11. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I think you're right about The Entity, but I'd swear that Savage Streets was pulled after only 6 months or so. That was unexpected by most people. Hell, our tv show still had a promotional copy of Savage Streets to give away when the word spread that it was no longer available for purchase. What makes certain discs so valuable is the surprising quickness that they became OOP. Like the aforementioned Transformers Animated Season 2. My kids love that show but I held off on buying it for $25 at Best Buy because I figured that I could find it cheaper elsewhere. I didn't even get a chance. It was released in the Spring of '09 and didn't even make it until the fall. Now I can't find it anywhere unless I want to pay $75 on ebay. It's nuts!

12. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I'm glad I picked up THE ENTITY for 5 bucks last year when I saw it at a bookstore. I had no idea of its rarity until after the purchase. Luck me! :)

13. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

I've got Clownhouse, didn't even realize that it was fetching a few bucks now.

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Savage Streets was only in print for about 6 months, which is why it's fetching ridiculous prices. Most of the time, what determines the value of an OOP disc is the duration of its print run. Some Criterions have gone OOP, but look at a film like Contempt that went OOP last March. It still only sells for its SRP, no higher. Same thing with Criterion's edition of Ran. But other Criterions like Pierrot le fou on blu-ray (which has only been in print since Sept, it goes OOP at the end of March), it was only in print on blu-ray for 6 months as well. I'm willing to bet that'll soon begin to go for high prices on eBay, just as the blu-ray of The Third Man is already starting to get pricey.

That Nightmare on Elm Street boxset will be worth no more than like $20 for years to come. It was in print for a fuckin' decade. This is why Criterions like Contempt and Ran are only worth what they initially sold for. They're out of print, sure, but they're not RARE. Savage Streets and Final Exam were only in print for about 6 months, so they're actually RARE since their print runs were so short, not as many copies were made which is why they sell for high prices.

~Matt

15. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

Holdin' onto my copy.....glad I have it now

16. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yeah, i am SHOCKED at the prices people are asking for the third man. i picked it up on dvd just after it was rereleased, and might have considered the upgrade if it hadn't gone OOP. now im just happy to have that. sure its picture-boxed and in standard def, but damn - im just glad i bought it at all. its a really solid package, even by criterion standards, and its a real shame it went OOP so quick. as for savage streets, i found a copy sitting on the shelf at worlds biggest bookstore last fall, picked it up and easily doubled my money on it. but after bci stuff started going OOP all over the place, I paid $15 for the blu ray double feature of shadow of the werewolf and vengeance of the zombies, despite already owning both on dvd. but for whatever reason, that never went up in price. you can still get a copy of it on ebay for under $10. you just never know.

17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

:lol: No kidding, but it was always a troubled release. I grabbed mine for just $10 brand new at Newbury Comics. And I guess I really should have picked some more copies up.

I can recall when it first showed up early in some stores ahead of the release date, and then the release was "officially" pulled/delayed by MGM. People were buying it for $300 on ebay then. Soon after, it was showing up again in quantity at certain places.

And now, it's rare again. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  18. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

I got mine new on EBay at a normal price, something like 10 bucks, a few years ago when it was originally "released". At the time there was a bunch of em allover EBay. I knew it wasn't supposed to be actually released at the time so I was worried that I'd get a bootleg in the mail but it was a legit MGM DVD.

19. Beastus

Beastus New Member

Same here. I bought my copy of Clownhouse on eBay for $8. (A few years after it was "discontinued").

20. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

looking at the prices some of these dvd's I have had forever that have been discontinued, I can't help but thing fuck me gently with a chainsaw

but nightmare box set? this with the anchorbay dvd of prom night were the first discs I ever bought , can't imagine them ever selling for much later on , they must have sold to almost everyone with even a passing interest