P2

Discussion in 'General' started by Agent Z, Aug 14, 2007.

1. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

I also watched this last night. I found it to be very emotionally flat. Yes, it had a couple of good scenes but overall, it didn't swing me one way or another. I didn't hate it, I also didn't like it. It just didn't have any real effect on me.

I like Wes Bentley but I didn't buy his crazy psycho character at all.

2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Opps, looks like I blew this one. Still haven't seen P2 although it was taunting me at BB this week. I'll have to give it a rent soon, it's not showing on the library search.:(

3. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Not a bad little flick. Like others said, not Great but...it's worth a watch if you have some time to spare. But yeah, the psycho was too "cute" and young to be threatening, although he tried.

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Okay, so it's just your usual stalk and menace film, but there are plenty of those that are worth seeing, and for me this is one of them.

You can pretty much guess how the twists and turns are going to go - but they did have the kahoonas to put in two or three gruesome scenes, and frankly - toward the end I was getting quite tense.

So I enjoyed it for what it was. There'll be plenty people complaining it's not original enough, but like slasher films and for that matter big monster movies, it plays by the rules. There'll be another one along just like this no doubt, but if you're in the mood for some decent photography, a pretty girl being chased, and a couple bits of nastiness, you can do a lot worse.

Recommended for fans of this type of thing.

5. bigdaddyhorse

I ended up renting and checking this out and I thought it was purty darn good. I was skeptical about how they could keep the tension and believablity though 90 minutes in the same place, but I thought it was well thought out and well executed. It held my attention, didn't have any "roll my eyes, flick off the screen and take myself out of the movie" moments.

Defintily worth a look and the time it takes to view, and even the couple bucks to rent it. Had there been some nudity, it couldn't been a masterpiece.:evil:

6. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Seriously, not even Wes as Elvis, because that stone cold cracked me up? :lol:

All scenes with Wes caused me to roll my eyes and/or laugh, but that one was something special. Until he is less of a cream puff, I would really prefer him to refrain from playing "bad" guys.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2008
  7. bigdaddyhorse

Wes tried to pull me out, and might've for a second or 2 now that I look back more close, but not to the point of flipping off, which is the truest tell for me.

The Elvis scene did make me crack up laughing, but I was still in there. It just seemed absurd enough to work with his already absurd character. If I was going to check out of this, it would've been when Wes was introduced. Insted I had a quick "hey it's that freaky dude from American Beauty" moment and went with it.:)
    I agree, Wes isn't really cut out to play the bad guy, at least not in this. I'm sure he could find that inner rage or something to make him more scary and less of a punk-ass-bitch. This had to be on the director or script, no way he'd get cast otherwise.

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

What you makes you think you weren't supposed to crack up during the Elvis scene? :lol:

All films need a little bit of humor, and that scene certainly worked for me, it freshened things up. The film also has dashes of the absurd, silliness, and the odd unbelievable moment - but it's only entertainment.

Or maybe I'd watched the mediocre - and even more silly - Final Destination 3, and my mind was confused for a moment. :lol:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  9. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I was actually speaking directly to that one line in bigdaddy's review that nothing took him out of the movie when that seemed a sudden jump from the ridiculous to the very, very, very ridiculous to me personally. I hope they did intend the movie to be a comedy it works much better that way.

If you found that movie to be tense and exciting though, more power to you.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2008
  10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I don't think they intended the movie to be a comedy, but to me it was obvious they threw in some humorous moments. Just about every horror film does the same thing, it's cinemas effort to put us on the roller coaster, with both ups and downs. The Presley scene in this is clearly a light-hearted moment and not intended to cause menace. The only time Elvis could have been menacing is if someone had just taken the last donut. :D

I'd say that somehow the movie managed to get tense in the final third. It was a bit strange, because the movie doesn't do anything new with the stalk and menace thing - but I guess the performances were good enough to catch me up in it.

As I said, it's not a classic by any means, but to be honest, I was expecting rubbish, and it's better than that.

11. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Just saw this on cable last night & I thought it was pretty good. A little long like a couple have said, but not bad. They could have trimmed about 10 to 15 minutes off.

The ending could have been tighter.
    I didn't like that part when they showed her in the streets after it was over, it exposed that nobody was around. This was NY for crying outloud. That wasn't smart. They should have just stopped it at the gate, with the police & firemen showing up. Its totally plausible for all this to happen in an underground parking garage with busy streets.

Also it adds to a list of Christmas "themed" horror movies.

12. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

I saw a little bit of it on cable the other night too but I couldn't focus on it cause I was only switching to it when my hockey game was on commercial break.

13. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Revisited this just before Christmas. I love it! Breezy and fun. I'm glad it has the Christmas element, because I don't know if I'd revisit it as much without it. It's just the perfect excuse to watch it every other December or so.

Read on IMDB trivia that Wes Bentley was in the midst of a ten-year coke binge while making this movie. Watching it with that in mind makes his performance... interesting, to say the least.

Workshed likes this.