Pacific Rim (2013)

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Jul 11, 2013.

1. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I started watching this last night, for the first time, but had to go to bed with about 45 minutes remaining. it's entertaining enough, although the acting, particularly from the lead, is definitely poor. i was happy to see Ron Pearlman show up, that was a nice surprise. i was kind of amused by the ridiculous techno-babble..."don't chase the rabbit" "ride the drift". and there were some seriously stupid plot points - a giant steel wall? really? after we've already seen them decimating gigantic buildings? but i can't really criticize the film for being unrealistic or silly - that's kind of inherent in the genre. the idea that the jagers could be carried around by a couple of helicopters on wires? believing an ocean freighter could bear its own weight when being swung like a baseball bat? the whole thing is ridiculous, but that's ok - it's fun enough. after finishing it tonight, though, i doubt i'll ever feel the need to watch it again.

2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Didn't find a thread for the sequel.
    So I'll just put this new trailer for the sequel over here.

I really enjoyed the first one, but this looks like a shitty Transformers sequel :(

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the first at the cinema but every viewing since I've disliked it more and more. So much so that I ended up selling my copy. I really hated the character stuff and thought it was really corny and weak for the most part. The action was cool though.
    This new one is looking more of the same. Terrible music in that trailer too. Not sure how I feel about it.

4. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I hated the first one .. I don't feel much longing in the world for this sequel

Zombie Dude likes this.