Paff's Halloween Top Ten 2006

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 28, 2006.

1. marcx

marcx New Member

watched blairwatch again for the first time in a long while a few weeks back--late at night in the basement by myself--found it creepier than ever...

the problem with blair witch is not the film itself but that it couldnt live up to its own hype....

it is a good, creepy film....

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I completely agree. I honestly believe that Imprint didn't air, not because of it's graphic nature, but because it's just plain baaaaaaad. Really, the only thing it had going for it was the gore. Yes, the gore was unsettling, but that by itself cannot save a movie. If the acting was good and competently directed, I'm sure it wouldn't have been banned. Being overlong didn't help matters either.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  3. Luna

Luna Guest

I'm with you on the reason it never aired. I also agree that some of the gore was good, for instance the
    fingernail torture scene just made me cringe, as it naturally would
    though
    come on, the evil hand was just the silliest thing ever... who the hell in their right mind would be scared of that?
    Not to mention the awful, whiny overacting. Like you said, the gore would never be enough to save Imprint. I cannot emphasize enough how much that episode disappointed me.

4. Fumi

Fumi Member

I don't know. Around here, I've seen about 19 Halloween movies scheduled over the last couple of weeks, and not one instance of Blair Witch. :)

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Funny you mentioned that. I just checked TVGuide.com, and indeed, Blair Witch did not make the schedule at all this year. I'm busted. Although, in years past it did seem to be on all the time around Halloween.

6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I just watched The Blair Witch Project the other night and It definitely disserves to be there. It's a great example of a film capturing the feel you get from a good camp fire tale.

7. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Why must we keep Blair Witch Project alive??? I thought it would eventually die out and be forgotten, but there are a few chosen ones who keep its memory alive! I have only seen it once and hated it so much I never dared attempt to watch it again! Never had the desire to!! It's funny that people mention it not being on for Halloween. I don't ever recall seeing it listed. It has been on HBO and the like, right? I don't think it has ever been on basic cable or network TV though!

As for Imprint:

I agree with the gore comments and as for your other comment, it felt like something out of an anime film. Have you ever seen Vampire Hunter D (one of the best anime films of all time!! And no comparison to Imprint at all, but Imprint made me think of it because of that!) Must be a Japanese thing!!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  8. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

IMPRINT just seemed like someone desperately trying to throw all the traditional J-horror elements together and hoping it turns out okay. "Okay, now some torture.." I realize it was based on a book, but maybe the author was doing the same thing.

9. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Nice list Paff, I'll be checking out Art of the Devil 2. As for my "Top 10" I guess I'll just post the last 10 horror movies/series I watched:

10. Bram Stoker's Dracula
    9. Halloween/Halloween 2
    8. Dracula, Prince of Darkness (best of the Hammer Dracs! :evil: )
    7. Nosferatu The Vampyre (Herzog)
    6. Sleepy Hollow
    5. Return of the Living Dead
    4. House of 1000 Corpses/Devil's Rejects
    3. Vampyros Lesbos (I taped this off of TV just to check it out :p )
    2. Friday the 13th Final Chapter
    1. Night of the Demons

10. MarkWarner

MarkWarner New Member

It was on FX a couple days ago.

11. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

True it was not very good. And the reason it didn't air wasn't the torture and gore, like you stated, but it was because of the
    aborted fetus scenes.
    That was the real reason.

12. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I disagree. If the acting, story, and direction were competently handled, Miike would have gotten away with the aborted fetuses. Saying the graphic imagery is what banned the movie is good hoopla and sells a lot of DVDs, but I don't believe that it was one thing that banned the movie. I believe it was everything. "Banned due to graphic content" works more in it's favor than "Banned due to complete suckiness".

13. Luna

Luna Guest

Indeed, and agreed with what you said.

14. 4Gotten1

4Gotten1 Guest

Although Halloween has past, I just wanted to note "thank you" for including the great Vincent Price's classic Theatre of Blood. A favorite.

15. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I enjoyed Imprint, which did air on schedule in the UK. I thought it had many nice touches. Not sure why it was banned in the US though. However, it was easily one of the better of the Master of Horrors episodes I saw.

16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm reviving this thread, because I've finally seen Imprint.

It's not Miike's finest hour, but it's not as bad as I was led to believe. It was only the last 15 minutes where it suddenly went south, but up until that point it was very beautiful to watch. The torture scenes had me squirming in my seat.

It's not the best MOH I've seen (I'm catching up with season 1 DVDs), but I actually think it's better than Argento's season 1 entry. Jenifer was more coherent than Imprint, no argument there, but it was....uninspired. Miike at least tried going somewhere with Imprint, unfortunately he never got there.

I've really enjoyed Incident on and off a Mountain Road, Dreams in the Witch House, and Deer Woman. Next ones on my list are Sick Girl, Chocolate, Cigarette Burns, and Haeckel's Tale.

I stand by my inclusion of MOH on the Halloween list...a very enjoyable horror anthology series so far.