Panic Room

Discussion in 'General' started by mutleyhyde, Mar 30, 2002.

1. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

You are extremely lucky that you have stores where you can get blu-ray's. There is nothing within two hours of where I live. It's online or nothing. Screen Archives and Twilight Time have improved by imposing limits on the number of purchases as well as the increase in production of discs. The only title I was disappointed with is NOTLD '90 for obvious reasons.

2. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Yeah, I hear you. I am not too far outside Pittsburgh which has one the the best, if not the largest store for blu ray/dvds around between New York and Chicago. Actually, I am in a corridor that has a lot of independent shops. If not Pittsburgh, I have Youngstown, Akron and Cleveland in Ohio, all 90 minutes or less from me, and Erie in PA. There many entertainment type stores, comic shops, conventions and the like. Hell, I live 45 miles from Evans City, PA where the original NOTLD was filmed. Day of the Dead was filmed less than 20 miles from me. Big horror area. I feel bad for you guys that live so far away from everything. I do understand. You have no choice when your live so far out. I support all of the shop and stores that I can because I want them to remain in business. Everything thing is so easy to get online but the brick & mortar stores need our support too so I try to buy there if I can. I am spoiled bro..LOL.

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

My wife and I were in Evans City to check out the cemetery and museum last year. It's a great town. We stayed in Monroeville as well which has changed considerably since we made our first trip there many years ago.

I'm in between Boston (Newbury Comics) and NYC (Midtown Comics). I don't get to either cities that often, so I am never able to keep up with (or even find) the smaller shops.

4. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Love Newbury Comics. My buddy and I drove all over New England one summer finding them. Great stores. NYC has many great stores too. I used to go to Forbidden Planet a lot when in NYC. Not sure if I've been to Midtown. I sure I have been. There was one huge store north of Times Square that I used to go into alot. It was right down from Colosseum Books (now closed). They had thousands of comics and really cool items for sale but was pretty pricey. They had cds as well. Huge store.

Monroeville is very different now The mall where Dawn was filmed has changed considerably. No ice rink. It's a food court I believe. Plus, the area where the mall is located is filled with crime. I believe it was the 3rd or 4th largest mall in the U.S. at the time of Dawn, but the area kinda shady now. They've had several riots there with police. I do like New England though. They used to have a nice record store chain called Strawberry's. My brother once lived in Western Mass. I would go there and buy tons of cds and movies.

5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

That store you're referring to in Times Square is indeed Midtown Comics. Strawberry's was great when CD's were booming in the mid '90's. You could count on them having just about everything you were looking for. Best Buy and Amazon destroyed them unfortunately.

You're not kidding about Monroeville. When we went ten years ago, sure the mall had changed dramatically since Dawn but now it's almost unrecognizable. It's a shame there is such an increased amount of crime there. Monroeville is a very nice area.

6. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

Sounds like me. I'm in northern CT right on the border to MA. I'm 20 minutes from Hartford, 20 minutes from Springfield and the distances for NYC or Boston are about equal to each other as well.