Paramount gets rights for Friday the 13th film franchise back!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Reading the comment section is even more cringeworthy.

"Since there is no best the list is superfluous."
    "Watching half of these movies even once, ten years ago is a commitment. There aren't many bright spots in this franchise."
    "Every one was completely and utterly awful and generic. The only one that I thought was worth anything was VS and that was because Freddy was funny and it wasn't one of the horrible normal Jason films. By far the worst of the slasher films. I'd watch the worst Elm St movie before any of these."
    "The remake is actually my favourite , Freddy vs Jason was also quite fun to watch !!"
    "The remake of "Friday the 13th" wasn't great by any means but it was without a doubt better then atleast seven of the titles you ranked above it. Let's be honest."

I can't.

2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I hate people.

baggio likes this.
  3. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

My question is: why do people even bother? I don't give a shit about the Harry Potter movies, but I'm not going to waste my time clicking on a listicle ranking them and then shit all over the series in the comments.

Myron Breck and baggio like this.
  4. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Jason did look effin rad as eff though in JGTH
    [​IMG]

5. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

I fucking love Jason Goes to Hell. Gonna watch it soon, mattaaaafak.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  6. Fistfuck

Lit, fam.

Mok likes this.
  7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Isn't that part of the issue; he looked pretty cool but wasn't in the movie?
    Personally I don't like any of the characters in the movie which is what really makes it drag for me.

Mok likes this.
  8. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Exactly. Such a cool looking Jason aaaaaand we don't get to see him for 99% of the film. :confused::mad::rolleyes:

Zombie Dude likes this.
  9. Natas

You know, I hear that often regarding Jason Goes to Hell...... and I've probably seen it 5-6 times and don't ever recall thinking to myself Jason has little screen time. I may bust out a stop watch when I revisit this soon :D..... but even if his screen time is minimal, I love this flick. They took a chance, made a much different film than the previous entries. I have very fond memories of this when it was released in the video stores. My buddy and I rented it one day, and his mother walked into the room during the tent-sex scene and lost her shit. She wasn't playing that game. She hit the eject button quicker than Jason can swing an axe. I had to wait a week till next allowance to rent it at MY house, where my flower child mother could care less what I watched lol

dave13, Ptflea2 and Mok like this.
  10. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I have a funny story about renting this one as well. We used to get all drunk and rent movies on the weekend back in college. I had picked this up countless times and said, "Hey! I never saw this one! It looks so cool, look at the box! Let's get it." And of course because we got so wasted and it never has the steel mask on the cover in the movie I'd never remember it, nor would anyone else. Finally one time I did remember. During the scene where the cafe lady is explaining how to make a Jason burger I was like, "We have to stop doing this! We've rented this movie like 20 fucking times now!" :p

11. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I have even less love for FvsJ and the remake...

But you were right.

12. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

Everyone has their favorite Friday the 13th movies. They all come down to taste. But when I started reading and saw Jason X as the worst on that list, I knew they probably didn't get the series. Here is one quote "the deaths aren’t particularly interesting, and the social interactions don’t have the punch of youthful energy that the franchise’s best installments are driven by."

Really?! Jason X has the feel up, frozen face smash death. Easily one of the top ones. There are a bunch of other good ones too. And I guess they missed the funny moments between the group. Janessa is the best of the future group to me.

Maybe this guy isn't really a fan of these movies and just writing for a paycheck and because it's October.

othervoice1 and Natas like this.
  13. Natas

Spot on.

Jason X is awesome. I mean, it's stupid as fuck......but it's a lot of fun. The kills are some of the best in the series, including the one you mentioned. The frozen face smash. Legendary kill. "Jason in space" sounds silly and it is......but who cares? It was a product of the fact they couldn't get Freddy Vs Jason off the ground after years in development hell.......so they felt rushed to give us a Jason flick. I read it was one of the biggest flops ever for a theatrical release. But I saw it in the theaters and had a blast.

othervoice1 likes this.
  14. DVD-fanatic-9

It's been 23 years since Jason Goes to Hell and 27 since Paramount killed him off. Since then, 3 different films have tried to bring Jason back for 3 new decades. Time has already tested Jason's return and it's been 3 strikes, he's out. In the meantime, we've seen the "rise" of Jigsaw and whatever that Hatchet franchise killer is and they've been a lot more successful. What's wrong with laying the impossible-to-resurrect 80's franchises to rest and letting new ideas do whatever they're supposed to do?

I think the new ocean of negativity the franchise is receiving now is only helped by this weird fan desperation for a new Jason film.

Isn't it enough that we know the classic Friday the 13th's trump all others? (And is better than, let's say, Insidious and Paranormal Activity and Hatchet and Saw and Wrong Turn. Whatever's a franchise now; I'll bet I'm forgetting something.) We can't really beat today's ankle-biters on their home/time turf. But we all know the 80's did it better.

15. Natas

Budget/Dom Opening Box Office Worldwide
    Aug 13, 1993 Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday $3,000,000 $7,552,190 $15,935,068
    Apr 26, 2002 Jason X $14,000,000 $6,649,006 $16,951,798
    Aug 15, 2003 Freddy vs. Jason $25,000,000 $36,428,066 $114,576,403
    Feb 13, 2009 Friday the 13th $17,000,000 $40,570,365 $92,670,237

Combined budget: 59 Mil.
    Combined return: 238 Mil, roughly

Not exactly a "strike out".

Regardless of whether or not you've liked any Jason flick post Paramont...... the numbers don't lie. The folks you're addressing those questions to only care about the above.

Steel76 likes this.
  16. DVD-fanatic-9

That would be impressive and all...

...except: you have no argument for a studio capitalizing on any of this success you claim the franchise is having. Those numbers might have been a big deal in the 80's but not so much anymore. Unless you want to argue that it costs the studios more for licenses to make new movies than they're making to cover the costs of advertising vs. the gains from advertisements.

17. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Wait, putting Jason X as the worst is an indication that someone doesn't get the series? The film, set 450 years removed into the future on a spaceship, with pretty much one good kill, a cast of annoying near-nameless characters, and piss poor comedy...

Kim Bruun likes this.
  18. Natas

LOL those number would have been a big deal in the 80s? But not now? 238 million dollars is 238 million dollars. Fuck you talking about? "No argument for a studio capitalizing" there is no argument needed when you look at the numbers. Jason sells. He puts asses in the seats. Bottom line. And the quality of the film is irrelevant.

Steel76 likes this.
  19. DVD-fanatic-9

I could ask you the same thing: 238 million is more than enough for one studio to own Jason, to have bought him. Over again. Several times. Yet... where's the steady stream of new Jason films?

*Crickets*

Success today is determined by the strength of a new film can keep the franchise going. You don't have any argument there. So, who gives a fuck about the money if it's not leading to the production of new films? This is a franchise. A franchise at a dead end is not so successful.

And I am arguing that this is why we see so much backlash. If today's generation (who I admit are oft-largely full of dumbass and arrogance) don't care about Jason, you can't say they're wrong since they're the ones who turned stuff like Saw, Paranormal Activity, and Insidious/Conjuring/Annabelle into credible, A-list, blockbuster films when in the 80's, franchises were looked down upon by Hollywood. And these millennial movies make a ton more money. Because they have continued support by studios. Where's Jason's support? Where are the films?

So... what the fuck are you talking about, again? I am right. On. Point.

20. Fistfuck

Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for admiration and a lack of empathy for others. But behind this mask of ultraconfidence lies a fragile self-esteem that's vulnerable to the slightest criticism.

Zombie Dude and DVD-fanatic-9 like this.