Paramount gets rights for Friday the 13th film franchise back!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Thing is, I love the original TCM, one of my top 10 movies of all times (hated it the first time I saw it, as it wasn't the gore epic that I thought it would be), but I also enjoy the remake.

When it comes to The Hills have Eyes, I hate the original, and love the remake.
    But I guess that makes me a fool :D

2. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

No. But the original is still a better film. Alexandre Aja is a talentless hack who will never make a good film. Never. And the original Hills Have Eyes is a technically flawed film with a very smart head on its shoulders- intelligence is more important than anything. The film is also a bit underrated in terms of how intense it is. I say it's aged better than people give it credit for. It's not pretentious: it gives you bang for your buck. The actor playing Mars is more memorable and Jupiter more interesting than anyone in the remake.

It should have been remade, because there was room for improvement. But not by a hack.

3. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Well I think its just because I hated the grittiness if the original, I much orefer gothic horror. It's just that whole feel etc and Leatherface in the remake was more like a Jason Voorhees type rather than what he was in the original. Just my preference.

Wow you're sure of yourself aren't you? Just accept that I have a different opinion to you. I love Friday the 13th (2009) its at the top for me with Part 2, the Final Chapter and Jason Lives. That's my opinion and my right.

4. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

That's interesting. Generally the grittiness and unsettling nature of the original is what made it so unique and has caused it to stand the test of time. The '03 Leatherface comparison to Jason is a fair one. Like most remakes of classic films, it's hard to capture what made them special to begin with. This is the issue I have with the TCM, NOES and Halloween remakes to name a few. The Friday the 13th remake did a better job in my opinion.

5. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I thought the TCM remake was excellent! Can't say the same for NOES, Halloween or Friday though (however, I thought RZ's Halloween II was great). The problem with Friday, as I've said before, is that it's too mechanical. It has all the ingredients of a good Friday, but they weren't mixed and the charisma/heart of the film, if it has any, didn't shine. But I remember that February, Friday the 13th, 2009, being generally impressed with the first 20 or so minutes... and then we got the rest...

6. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Are you going to also wield a protest sign while clutching a baby too? For the Future of This Great Nation of Ours, the Place Where Our Children Sleep Every Night in Innocent Slumber, I Implore You: Stop Allowing DVD-Fanatic-9 to Rag on Me for Saying Shitty Remakes Are Better Than the Originals! Where, Oh People, Where Will It End? (You think that works in the U.K. too? I do.)

Since 1986, there has only been one remake that was as good as the original (and which I saw a couple weeks ago), Maniac. (Well, barring remakes of Asian films because I never bother with those. The only one people even like is The Ring, 2002.)

That's all, folks.

There is no better than. That is a historical, factual impossibility.

Agreed with everything but the last sentence. The Friday the 13th remake was every bit as bad as most of the remakes. Thanks to the characters.

7. Bobbywoodhogan

IN YOUR OPINION!

There's no fact on whether a remake is good or not its about personal opinion. You shouldn't ram yours down peoples throats saying they're wrong for liking something when its up to them and their personal preference.

Yeah and I get that I'm just not a fan of that sort of documentary grit. Just a personal preference, I prefer my horror abit more graphic.

For me;

The ANOES remake really missed the mark, it was more like a greatest hits when
    I felt they could have made it darker and really let Jackie Earle Haley put his own spin on things.

Rob Zombie's Halloween tried to explain to much and I don't like Zombies white trash characters. I did love the feel and look of the remake portion and Myers mask though.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  8. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

This is the truth. I don't see why they are still involved. Every one of their horror remakes are horrible. They make money, that's the only reason I would guess they are involved.

I'll take Jason Goes to Hell out because I've never watched the whole movie. Only bits and pieces. But Part 8 and Jason X are both entertaining. They try something different with the formula and have a great Jason.

The remake. Everything is wrong with that. Maybe with the exception of the actor who plays Jason. But he's just a killing machine and doesn't play him with character like any of the Jason actors in my favorite Friday the 13th movies. I'll see if I can find my old review on the remake. But a good Jason movie is more than the sum of its parts. Or stupid teens, sex, and kills. It's like that's what the people behind the remake thought and why it feels hollow. Even if it looks good at times. You have to care about some characters. Stuff has to make sense and follow rules. Off hand, things in the remake that bothered me -

1. Jason taking hostages.

2. Jason protecting dope farm.

3. Jason allowing people to build in his area then killing them. Why wasn't the lake off limits if people knew. Or why didn't the guy say if you mess with the boat don't cross a certain area?

4. People knowing about Jason and letting him go about things.

5. Good girl getting the knife in the back.

6. Stupid, put Jason back in the lake ending. That might be a dream or not.

Why not make a real Friday the 13th movie instead of using the found footage gimmick? That's why Halloween (the original) is so well regarded. They tried to make a serious movie like a Hitchcock movie. Why not make a Friday the 13th double feature like Grindhouse with the first part with Jason's Mother and the second part years later?

And I don't like the choice of director either. He doesn't shy away from nudity or sex stuff but a good Friday the 13th is more than that as seen by the remake. This is an edited bit of my V/H/S review -

I actually thought I was watching the wrong movie and not a horror movie at all at first as the horror doesn't start until 30 minutes into the movie. And for the most part it doesn't feel like a horror movie but just let's film a bunch of assholes and have them encounter horror elements or bad situations. It's not the slightest bit scary and I was bored. We get some very crude scenes with women. I thought I was about to watch a full on girl passed out due to alcohol sex/rape scene at one point. Which I don't think was beyond the guy's character but the writers thought they better not cross that line and have the guy move to his friend's girl. Of course the girl will be some kind of monster. What else would the twist be?

9. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Making money is probably the only reason that really matters to the studios.

10. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

I started to lose interest after part 6 so I have my expectations set so low I don't see any way this can be worse than I'm expecting it to be, but you never know, most of these film makers today never cease to amaze.

11. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I agree with Part 6 being the last great Friday film. I think the remake is just as good as everything after that, even if the kills weren't very imaginative. I didn't have a problem with all the issues everyone else did, and I thought Mears was a great Jason!

As for the TCM remake, I'm one of the few that doesn't love the original, but I would still take it over the remake. That being said, the remake is surprisingly good, and I could see why some would like it better. It is more of a polished film than the gritty original, so it depends what you want out of a TCM film.

As for the Hills remake, it's one of my favourite remakes, and in my opinion, much better than the original. They are so very similar, but I think the remake has more interesting villains, better gore and kills, and I love the abandoned car lot and bomb testing set pieces. Aja is one of the better current horror Directors out there in my opinion, as I had a blast with the Piranha remake and High tension. Mirrors was okay, but not terrible either.

12. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I'd take part VII over V and VI. Even with all the cuts, I still love the grim nature of The New Blood. I'm surprised it doesn't get more love (relatively speaking).

13. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

VII isn't terrible. I would say it's as good as V. VI is probably my second favourite in the series though. Just so much fun!

14. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

The Friday remake was pretty bad. I watched it once in the theater, forgot about it shortly after, then had no desire to revisit it for reevaluation.

This happens a lot to us horror fans. We see opportunities for filmmakers to rekindle an old love (like a reboot of our favorite franchises) and we get excited. Even with some doubt on our mind we try to give it a chance.

Then when it gets released it lets us down (that might be a bit of an understatement). We move on and forget about our previous excitement until the next opportunity comes about. Then the circle repeats once more.

With that being said, I personally have zero faith in this remake being anything but total shit.

15. Body Boy

I thought that was one of the things the remake got perfectly right. I remember gasping in the theater when she died. I was like :nervous: because I didn't like Whitney.

I'm in the camp that considers Part V to be very good, and I think it's better than everything made afterward.

Part VII suffers due to a lot of the characters being underdeveloped, though Tina and co. make up for that. I used to love it but now it might be my least favorite of the first 8. Depending on the day.

But Jason Lives... I still do not understand what people see in that film as being 'fun' or 'scary'. It's a comedy. It's the first Friday to completely change the direction of the tone and I think from then on the series never recovers. I don't like films being spoon fed to me and that's the sin Jason Lives commits imo, akin to big budgeted action films with all the little aggressive boy bait that I never understood. Paula is great, and I do like the film, but any of the first 5 crush it in comparison for my personal Friday experience.

16. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

It was on last night. I still don't like it enough to own it.

I haven't really deeply analyzed all the Friday the 13th movies. But looking at the ones in my collection, I concluded that they all have more than just the final girl as a likeable character. That's the big thing I think.

When that happened, I was like "WHAT?!"

I couldn't believe it. They already broke many rules with Jason and the dope farm. Also, Jason keeping prisoners. Add in the slow kill of the girl in the sleeping bag. Jason quick kills. When Danielle Panabaker's character got the knife, I just didn't care about the movie anymore.

There are things in Part V that I like. But more that I don't like. The opening, those redneck type characters, most of the people in that camp, Jason not really being Jason. It all adds up to a movie I put up with for the scenes.

As for Part 6. It's strange. It has good kills, good characters, good setting, and somehow no nudity. Which is really odd as that scene calls for it. And I think the actress performed nude before. Also, this might be the first one where Jason walks after people who are literally running for their lives. So it's significant. Also the first one where we see the kids at the camp. It has the biggest stunt too. Something about the feel of the movie is good. How there is the town, the camp, the cemetery. It feels more real. A lot of good horror movies make the environment real. I read a review recently comparing the original Nightmare on Elm Street to the remake. They mentioned how the town felt more real in the original compared to the remake.

There is silly stuff in Part 6. Those paintgun players can be edited out. That scene shows no purpose other than giving Jason a knife. But other than that, it's a real movie unlike other Friday the 13th movies that are just a string of kills of people that you don't like. Part 3 is like that. Other than the final girl I didn't care at all about those people.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  17. Body Boy

Yeah, I've heard that constantly mentioned by others, how Jason Lives is a 'real movie'. I think the first five are far more cinematic. I cared about the characters in general from 1-5 and 8 more than Jason Lives, and I thought zombie Jason's kills were lame and light. But it's all opinion anyhow.

18. Bobbywoodhogan

19. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

I'll definitely check it out, but I'm keeping my expectations closely in check.

20. Bobbywoodhogan

Yeah probably best too, the show could go many ways