Paramount gets rights for Friday the 13th film franchise back!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Jun 7, 2013.

1. thrashard76

thrashard76 Thrash or be Thrashed

Agreed. I thought the ANOES remake was better than the Friday remake. But then I thought the Evil Dead remake was better than the ANOES remake too.

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  2. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

3. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

We don't need a lavish back story. Just let Jason cut up a load of LIKEABLE (talking to you F13 remake) characters!

Zombie Dude and DVD-fanatic-9 like this.
  4. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Fuller explained before revealing that they’re going to try and really understand Jason’s motivations. “You kind of have to understand Jason Voorhees, so we go back and we kind of started over and work our way forward.”

That sounds questionable. I think they should concentrate more on developing the potential victims than overdoing it with a Jason backstory. Still, I'm interested.

5. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Jason motivations! WTF! This could go either way, but I can't say I'm convinced currently, we will have to see what transpires.

6. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I have never needed to know what "motivates" Jason. Not ever.

My interest in this just fell pretty hard. Hopefully he's talking out of his ass, like they usually are at this stage during a production

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  7. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Don't we already know what motivates him? At camp he was bullied by other kids and camp counselor's weren't doing their job and he basically drowned and then one cut his mother's head off.

8. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I have no idea what the Dunes is trying to prove with an Origins story when not only do we have the originals, but it was beat over our heads in Freddy Vs. Jason, plus us hardcore fans were fortunate enough to have Pamela in the remake when most people probably didn't care, so I don't get the point of this little piece of news. Hopefully it's just them trying to sound intellectual in making a slasher sequel and not re-inventing the wheel.

No one care, nor has anyone ever cared Jason's motivations. Michael Myers' coming after his family was all anyone needed and more than anyone could have ever asked. They ruined NOES with backstory. Just put a big fucker on screen in a hockey mask and have him kill people in the woods. If you wanna be self referential, toss in some 80s throwbacks and tunes and write the same stereotypical teens the way they've always done. That's all they have to do. Keep a solid guilty pleasure movie like they did with the remake and everyone besides a handful of delusional manchildren are happy.

I think trying to explain any supernatural force behind Jason, Michael Myers, Freddy, etc is moot and stupid because there really can be no explanation. Whatever punishment Jason will take in this Origin story will prove without a doubt he's inhuman, so why bother putting a b-level backstory to that? Just let him exist and be the monster that lurks in the dark.

buck135 and Myron Breck like this.
  9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I suspect they'll go even further than that; they're going to create some contrived tragedy that caused his mental handicap. It's not going to be plain old bad genes or his mother smoking during pregnancy. She's going to get beaten or raped or something; probably by the guy who turns out runs the camp or his kid is THEE camp counselor who turned a blind eye while he was swimming.

10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Stop. You're giving them ideas. :) I've said this a million times...put Kane Hodder behind the mask again and have Harry Manfredini score it. The plot consists of the following...attractive camp counselors go to Crystal Lake against the advice of the locals. They have sex and take drugs until they are dispatched systematically by Jason in unique ways until only one female counselor remains to defeat him until the next film. No back story, no nonsense. It worked before and it will work again. I wouldn't watch this origin shit if it were on Netflix. What I proposed would get me in the theater day one.

baggio and Buechlers_beard like this.
  11. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

You're likely correct if they go full on with the origin story. To me, it sounds like something that turns an audience off. In this age of school shootings, bullying, cyber bullying, etc, I see the traditional Jason backstory leaving a bad taste in people's mouths. At worst, it's Rob Zombie's Halloween all over again, at best, Jason is the good guy, except he's some sort of evil incarnate and in these 90 minutes, we're gonna have to sit through a lot of depressing stuff for what is ultimately a teen sex/slasher flick. Ultimately, does the R-rated slasher crowd really care about that?

Box office receipts have proven the more they fucked with Jason, the less money they made. They didn't fuck with him in the remake and it made a killing. Everyone is well aware that Platinum Dunes isn't the company you really want making origin stories or over complicating things. A simple F13 is literally perfect for them.

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  12. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Enough with all these origin stories!
    Just give us Jason slaughtering stupid teens, and I'm satisfied.

baggio and Buechlers_beard like this.
  13. Buechlers_beard

Here's what they should do. Use the recap at the opening of The Final Chapter (simple, and the best recap in the series imo), then use that as a springboard setting the new movie on an unspecified date in the 80's. Whalla. Done. What's the fucking problem?

14. Buechlers_beard

Honestly, I'm not a fan of Hodder's Jason. But everything else you said is spot on!

Steel76 likes this.
  15. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I agree. I've never understood the hard on for Hodder. So he played Jason more than any other actor. Big deal. They were all films made after the point when the series devolved into a joke. Who really wants that?

Steel76 likes this.
  16. rhett

rhett Administrator

From the company that brought us Rambo Jason with his Grade 1 brain level yet still able to make a complex system of underground catacombs and a complex mechanical generator, I'm not expecting much. Amazing how a series that thrived on being so simple for 8 movies still just doesn't get it.

Fistfuck, Buechlers_beard and Mok like this.
  17. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

The best parts of those movies are when you get glimpses into Jason's character. Either seeing him without the mask or finding his shack in the woods. It's those things that are the pay off. So I kinda of understand why they are fixated on putting that on screen. The balance is tricky though because that stuff has to be doled out in small doses, like seeing the Alien. I think they would do well to take a page out of the beginning of The Blair Witch Project. Found footage aside, the beginning of the Blair Witch set that (campfire) story up so perfectly because it played off of the theatre of the mind.

If they go straight up origin story and set it in the 60's, with the same attention to detail that X-Men First Class had, it could be interesting on that premise alone. They just need to stay subtle and unpredictable.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  18. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

If you are talking about the remake?
    It was an old abandoned mine, beneath the grounds, and not something that Jason built :D
    He just used what was already there.
    I just don't understand why people didn't get this.

The same with Jason taking the girl as hostage. It's because she looked like Jason's mom. That's why he kept her in the mines.
    Either people went into the movie prepared to hate it, and didn't pay attention.

Another complaint about the remake, "Jason don't run".
    Well, before he became a Zombie, he did.
    Take another look at part 2 and 3 :D

MisterTwister, Zombie Dude and Mok like this.
  19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

People only like Kane Hodder because he played Jason more times than any other Jason? Sorry I don't think that's it at all. Imho, it started with part six. So I give C.J. Graham a lot of credit in developing Jason to what we know now. Hodder just took the role a step further. Before that Jason was barely seen throughout each film (beyond the end scenes), it was "mostly" victim reaction and weapon shots. And it always helped that the guy that was playing Jason ... actually liked playing the role. Not so much true for the previous Jasons, except for C.J. Graham. Over the recent years he has said he had a good time and would do it again if asked. But strangely I remember him saying back when 6 came out, that was a one time thing and he wouldn't do it again.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  20. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I just rematched the remake and didn't mind it after a couple of beers. The sleeping bag kill at the beginning is one of the most heinous in the entire series.

othervoice1 and Steel76 like this.