Paramount gets rights for Friday the 13th film franchise back!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

About the "Jason don't run" complaint, I found this :D

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I never said that it was the only reason that people liked Kane Hodder, and I never said he was the reason why it became a joke, either. If you read my post correctly you would notice that I said that "they were all films made AFTER the point when the series devolved into a joke." Obviously that started with part 6, key difference being that Part 6 was a much better, more entertaining film than all the ones that came after it.

If you prefer your Jason big, zombified, and lumbering, then Kane Hodder is your man. Me, I've always had a preference for the Jason of the Part 2 or Part 3 variety.

3. maybrick

Gotta love it. The dude that made that video clearly doesn't know his shit. "Who ever heard of a zombie from the 80s running"? Uh.... Return of the Living Dead, anybody?

Steel76 likes this.
  4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yeah, when people give shit to 28 days later, for "creating the running 'Zombies'", then I always point to "Return..." :D

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  5. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I didn't mind that stuff as much because as Steel pointed out, it could have been already there. The problem I still have, each time I see it, is that the camp that he stays at was fully stocked with canoes. Those things go for a pretty penny so they would have long been scavenged. They could have explained somehow that everyone knows, including the police, not to take anything because of superstition. The cop they had didn't strike me as a lazy / superstitious guy so it bothers me that no one found that huge campsite.

6. maybrick

Or City of the Walking Dead/Nightmare City even further back. There's plenty of precedent for running zombies. The girl in the cellar in Night of the Living Dead was pretty spritely. But it's funny how Return never gets the credit that it's due. It's the first film that I know of that featured REAL zombies that ran and it originated the whole concept that they ate brains. But does anybody ever remember this? Hell no.

But anyways, back to Jason...

Steel76 likes this.
  7. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

Th only memorable thing about Hodder's performance is that he breathes with his entire body. Plus the ONE thing that could've redeemed his performances, he declined to do! (kick a dog off the pier in Manhattan).

8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Really? The only thing. Take just one film, part 7 for example. His stunt work alone is above any other Friday film. You got the underwater scene, the face plant(after electrocution) into water, the porch roof collapse, the window jump, the stair fall, the hanging drop, and oh yeah ... the little thing they called the burn. Which by the way was like some sort of record at the time for a fire stunt in film. On top of all that, the whole movie (especially most evident in the last sequence right before the "burn") was the first time ever, including any Jason film afterwards where we actually saw Jason "pissed off" and nasty. A little of the same in part 8, but nowhere near in the movie of part 7. All the other movies had obviously nasty kills, but part 7 and even 8 had a more violent revenge tone imho. I would also like to bring up that Jason in part 7 also showed a little how would you say? smart not dumb robot killer moments by Jason. My favorite moment was the door close right before the two ran up the stairs. Very small moment indeed, but it's my favorite part. And to be fair there were many others among ALL the films where Jason did some out of character "moves". So it just wasn't Kane Hodder's Jason. Just that scene stands out more to me.

I would say that was all pretty memorable besides the deep breathing imho.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    buck135, rhett and Mok like this.
  9. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

The tunnels and such, as far as the plausibility argument is concerned, didn't bother me much. There have been greater leaps of logic in this series (Jason tracking Alice down to wherever she lived in Part 2). I can see how it can bug people though, as it goes right into your second point, which I wholeheartedly agree with. They need to keep it simple.

10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

This is it exactly. Kane's Jason was just more menacing, especially in A New Blood. When that mask came off, the effect could have come off looking ridiculous. Instead as baggio pointed out, you saw that Jason was quite pissed. I can't see any of the other actors pulling that off. Kane was like Robert Englund where the body language was a big part of the success of the role. For a character that doesn't speak, that's remarkable. His interpretation of Jason was much more brutal when he grabbed a hold of someone.

baggio likes this.
  11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Although I haven't watched Part 2 in a long time, I read somewhere that's it's mentioned Alice is back in town where Camp Crystal Lake is so Jason apparently didn't have to travel far. How he caught wind of this is another story.

12. Swampthing82

Swampthing82 Active Member

Take the series back to its roots. Make it simple, and stick to the basic formula. Just infuse it with some style and for God's sake practical gore effects. This is not a series that needs to be over-thought.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  13. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, I don't remember that at all, and I watched the first four fairly recently. Maybe it was something added in a novelization?

14. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I still think Ted White wins hands down, though I admire Hodder's dedication to the part and his stunt work, especially in A New Blood, was very impressive. I just think White, through his initial disdain for the role and overall pessimistic attitude about the whole affair while shooting, manifested that into a very dark, brutal, no bullshit Jason. You really feel like Jason is a violent (and possibly sexual) predator in the Final Chapter. The entire attack scene on the floor when he is wrestling with Trish is more disturbing than any of the kills in the movie. I feel like this is what they were going for in Part 3, but Brooker just kind of came off as Frankenstein-ish.

After the Final Chapter and the smut-fest of Part V (I say that as lovingly as possible) things just got a lot more light hearted. Graham and Hodder were perfect for the entries they starred in, but I still prefer White's disturbing portrayal above all.

Zombie Dude and zbinks like this.
  15. dayglo

dayglo Member

It is mentioned in a novelization, it was one of the part 3 adaptations where Jason recalls it. Alice comes to the lake, one of those face your fear type moments, and Jason sees her and tracks her back to her place in town. You know the rest.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  16. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I'm not the hugest stickler for accuracy, so I'll call any"thing" a zombie if it involves a shut down of the socially learned "don't kill people, damn it, it isn't polite" lessons of civilization switch in people's brains. (Do unto others...)

But, technically, they were toxic spill / radiation vampbies. Blood sucking, etc. They wouldn't have had that strength without the pollution.

No. First of all (edit: there really is no "second"), he grunted way too sexually during the murders (and Barney Cohen wrote extra stuff in the script with him actually having sexual reactions to his victims) (don't make a huge deal out of reading that, I may only be referencing the thing he brought up on the Final Chapter Deluxe DVD- but that, Jason molest-groping Trish toward the end, sure as hell is enough). Just like it's a bad idea to try to add child molestation to Freddy's rap sheet, this is a gigantic no for Jason. We can't forget how often slashers just really aren't progressive on the issue of sex. Which is potentially problematic enough without adding: our beloved killers are just murdering because they can't get laid the way they want. That's - at the very least - a hugely unwanted distraction to the films' primary focus.

And they need to change the entire style of filmmaking as well. I would love to see it shot on film rather than digital. Or at least hold the fucking camera still. And use pans with smooth movement. Who likes this fucking jerky camera horror of the millennium?

X-human is right that I don't know about the tech I reference, but I sure as hell know what I'm seeing that is and isn't working.

I'm not saying that I didn't see what you saw, but what exactly do you mean by "breathe"d "with his entire body"?

Animal violence has to be 3,000,000/100% cartoonish to be acceptable in horror. Unless the dog is a Republican. (Or one of those asshole Hillary supporters who tries to hide the fact that she's a megaracist.)

17. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Wuzza wuzza?
    [​IMG]

18. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

No, what? What the fuck are you arguing? All Grim did was say who his favorite Jason is. You really are an ass, aren't you?

Ptflea2 likes this.
  19. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

This post is full of win. Seriously thank you.

Steel76 likes this.
  20. maybrick

I think I missed something.

Edit: Never mind. Just realized something was posted by a person on my ignore list. Carry on.

Workshed and Fistfuck like this.