Paranormal Activity 4

Discussion in 'General' started by JGrendel, Jan 2, 2012.

1. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Just caught this on cinema blend.com. it's speaks for itself.

Paranormal Activity 4 Officially Announced

[​IMG]7 Comments published: 2012-01-02 13:19:16 Author: Eric Eisenberg

[​IMG]
    There's a very good chance that the Paranormal Activity franchise will never die. The most expensive movie in the series only cost $5 million, and all three have made at least $175 million at the global box office. Even if Paranormal Activity 16 makes $10 million at the global box office we will probably see another one. Following the release of Paranormal Activity 3 - which shattered multiple October/fall records - I wrote a feature trying to figure out not if there will be another movie, but what it will be about. Now Paramount Pictures has confirmed my theory as they have confirmed that Paranormal Activity 4 is in the works.

STYD has received a press release from the studio announcing their upcoming slate for 2012 and included in that release is word of yet another Paranormal Activity movie. The release itself announced that Paramount won 2011 with the highest total worldwide box office sales, bringing in $5.17 billion in the last 12 months. Other movies on Paramount's docket for this year include World War Z, G.I. Joe: Retaliation and The Dictator. Paranormal Activity 3 played a major role in Paramount's earnings, totaling $203 million in global box office receipts, making it the most successful of the series.

So once again I pose the question: where does the franchise go from here? In my previous post, I suggested a straight up sequel, following a new family, or even possibly (but not likely) abandoning the found footage format? But where do you think that they should go with Paranormal Activity 4? Leave your thoughts, feelings and ideas in the comments section below.

2. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I've had enough of Paranormal Activity, thanks. It's funny, the studio was reluctant to pick up the original film and if Steven Spielberg hadn't gotten involved they never would've distributed it. Now these films are making tons of money so, of course, there will be endless sequels coming out on Halloween every year (like Saw). It was the same deal with the Friday the 13th films. Sure, the films themselves were an embarassment to them but, hey, the money was good. Pathetic.

3. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I'll pass. The first one was okay, nothing to ride home about, but I haven't seen the 2nd or 3rd one. They looked pretty dumb.

4. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I threw in the towel at PA II, so boring.

5. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Exactly. For me, the series ran out of gas in the first entry.

6. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

As far as modern franchises go, this one is tied with Final Destination for my fav. I'd much rather see these come out every year than Saw flicks. Of course, FD slipped a lot with part 4 so maybe this will too. I haven't been let down yet with a PA installment, of course that's what I said before FD4, so we'll see what happens.

7. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

This is already one of the best franchises of all time. All three films have been great and as long as they keep the quality top notch I'll welcome as many sequels/prequels as they can dish out.

8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

what will PA 4 be about? doors closing. curtains blowing. scary timecodes in the bottom right hand corner. and that's about it, methinks.

more power to those that enjoy them, i suppose.

9. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

Wow, so tired of these.

10. rhett

rhett Administrator

I'm in it for the ride just as long as I can still see them in a packed theater on opening night in October. There's something special about the power that horror movies have on a group audience. The Saw films have brought that, The Ring, Freddy vs. Jason, etc. and since this is the hot franchise right now, I've been pleased to see all three along with screaming horrified audiences for three years now. Would I watch them on video...nah, but the theater sure is fun.

11. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

people reacted positively to FvJ? i remember the theater i was in just laughing at it the whole way through. i've made my peace with it over the years, accepting it for what it is, but i might have hated it less if i'd seen it with a crowd that was actually enjoying it...

12. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

I've been loving the series so far, the third being the weakest in my opinion, so I'm looking forward to this. But the potential suckage of the next installment is high.

13. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I gotta admit I loved the first two and have not gotten around to seeing the third one yet. From what I understand the third one is more of a prequal when they were young girls- so for the 4th I wouldnt mind seeing a direct sequal to part 2 - I plan on seeing Part 3 after it gets a dvd release here in the near future

14. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

15. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I watched this over the weekend. I can't decide if I hate the fuck out of it or kinda like it. It should be called "Rich People Ignore Their Kids".

It sways from charming scenes between two teenagers, to annoying child actors, to boring scares, to boring in general, to lethal scares, to shoddy acting, to "is this a parody?", to alright acting, to heavy tension that I was hoping for. By the end of it, I was kind of hypnotized. It stayed with me. I think I need to re-watch it to formulate a definitive opinion.

Definitely not as good as the other 3, but how could they keep up the same gag for three movies without becoming a little played out?

16. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I remember being bored by it. I loved the third film (best of the series), but this was a dull re-hash. The franchise has officially run out of steam.

Are they making a fifth one? I'm sure they are, but I don't recall hearing anything for sure.

17. Doombear

Doombear Member

I enjoy the franchise. Part 4 was quite the ride with many interesting and freaky scenes. What amazes me is how many running cameras these families have recording everything; you'd think they'd run out of recording space!

18. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

That kind of speaks to an aspect I neglected to mention of why I may like it. Back to my alternate title, "Rich People Ignore Their Kids," I appreciated that they were sliding a commentary on society in there. You have these parents with no idea of what their kids are up to, yet every laptop they own is recording them 24/7. These devices are becoming intrusive entities in and of themselves. It's also funny that Xbox is kind of called out specifically with the Kinect device. It's product placement that may not be so appreciated by the product.

19. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I've seen them all but only the first one theatrically as essentially they all offer the same story. I did buy the blu for part 4 and enjoyed it enough to keep.

20. mclay18

mclay18 New Member