Paranormal Activity

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

It started here Friday but I'll have to wait another week before I can go.

2. geeare

geeare Guest

OK, i went to see Paranormal Activity earlier tonight. I thought it was good but not great. There is alot of walking around with the camcorder while nothing is really going on and that kinda gave me a headache. The nighttime scenes on the bedroom are really well done, a little repeditive but you alwaysknow something is gonna happen so that kinda makes the hair stand up on your arms. I had goosebumps during almost all of the nighttime shots. i think i really was scared which is cool because i haven't had that feeling in along time. I left the theatre with nothing to say about it. If as movie is AWESOME me and my bride usually talk about it all the way back to the car but nothing was said tonight, haha. I's glad I saw it but don't have the need to own it on blu-ray or even see it again for that matter. In the other hand, I said that about Martyrs and recently I've had the urge to see it again. you never know.

3. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Member

Very minor spoilers.

I really enjoyed this film and thought it lived up to the hype as well as it could have. The ending itself would have been great if it stopped at Katie sniffing the body; breaking the fourth wall was a studio move and it showed (everything leading up to it was first class though including the "Everything will be okay now" line).

I loved how the demon had personality in it. You really felt that there was a hulking monster prowling around the house (or at least that was the impression it wanted to leave on them). Overall, very well done.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  4. lv426

lv426 New Member

Our audience was split on like or hate. Even the friends I went with didn't like it, my girlfriend hated it, mostly for the shaky cam scenes of them talking. I believe I may have been guilty of hyping it up to them a bit. Personally, I thought it was decent. Not really genre re-defining, but a good little indie flick. I was mostly bothered by the fact that the camera was set up in the spot it was. I feel that had the camera been placed behind and over them as they slept, great shots could have been had. I really wanted to see the large black mass she described standing at the foot of their bed, but it never happened.

5. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

This is playing at one theatre where I live- gonna try to find time to see it this week if I can- if not will make a good rental I suppose later.

6. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

me and some friends r gonna go see it this friday (second time for me!)

7. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

My pal reviewed this one and liked it. http://www.oh-the-horror.com/page.php?id=585

I am excited to see this one (most likely on home video... not too much comes to the theatre here), but I remain skeptical. I am a Blair Witch fan, but to me that is pretty much a one-off. The numbers are staggering, though, and I hope this helps horror like BW did back in the day. And, I like BW 2. :fuck:

8. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Finally got a chance to see this today. I friggin lOVED IT!! If anything there isn't enough hype surrounding this film. It's scary and the acting remians realistic. The tension and suspense is very well paced as it escalates throughout the film. IMO It's the the first film that does the first person POV correctly since Blair Witch. Easily my favorite horror film of the year. I saw it in a pretty empty theater and just like Blair Witch that is the right way to view it. I can see how a large noisy crowed would detract from my enjoyment. IT gets a a huge recommendation from me.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  9. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Empty theatre? Did you see it at the AMC? I wonder how many people are going to see it now that it has opened wide.

Glad you liked it that much. It was a fun ride.

10. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Yes I saw it at the AMC on Winston Churchill. It was an 11:30am early show. There are never many people at those shows.

11. rhett

rhett Administrator

I just can't got to the theater that early. When I go to the theater and pay those high prices, I need to have that communal atmosphere. Especially with horror, movies play better when they are packed with people. That and watching horror in the morning is just weird to me - dawn is the time that horror movies end, not begin!

I'm seeing this sucker tomorrow, can't wait!

12. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I went and saw it a second time last Sunday. It was at 2:15 in the afternoon and I was the only person in there. Shortly afterwards, the place started filling up. Regardless, it was just as effective the second time around. I'll admit that I've let my dog sleep in the room a few times since seeing it. :lol:

When it comes out on Blu-ray, I will definitely be having a Blair Witch/Paranormal Activity double feature. That will likely become my new Halloween night tradition.

I felt that the
    shadow on the door right before it pulls her out of the bed
    was enough.

13. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

i saw it last Monday night at 11:15 pm and the 465 seat theater was PACKED!
    I was wondering if people worked anymore....

Well as i expected the film is an over-hyped, but enjoyable film with a few creepy moments. Everytime it went to another bedroom scene, I got interested again, and that bedroom shot is very iconic. I will always think of that powerful image.

surprisingly, the part i felt most scared at was when he goes outside to look for her and finds her sitting in the backyard. I really felt something was going to jump out and it made me very nervous.

I'll buy it on DVD to place in my collection, and although Blair Witch did it first, i consider the "fear factor", and ultimate payoff of the two films to be nearly the same.

14. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Only heard about this film yesterday. No hype for me. But easily the worst film I've seen theatrically this year. Scary? Creepy? :lol: Seriously...someone let me in on the joke. This thing looks like it was made over a long weekend. Boring couple tape themselves and trivial horror cliche's are caught on tape as they sleep. ;) Very surprised I was able to see something this amateur in a major theatre.

I've had scarier nights in my own apt. when the girlfriend awakes from night terrors. Now, that's some creepy stuff. :nervous:

15. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I actually don't mind going in the morning and it's only $6 before Noon at AMC so that doesn't hurt either:) Also I would say that SOME horror movies play better with a crowd definitely not all. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  16. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Member

I caught the matinee, and then went again to see it with a crowd. It was interesting both times, and the film holds up to repeat viewing.

17. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

Yes I don't really understand it either. One of my favorite content makers Spoony One was praising the movie like it was the greatest thing ever made. He even went in depth for 40 minutes on its virtues and why it is scary and why everything you love is shit and not really scary.

18. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

It's funny. I'm the exact opposite. In the last few years I started doing only matinees for horror films. I just can't stand horror crowds any more. loud teenagers, 15 year old girls texting the whole movie, people making stupid comments deflating the suspense, girls fake screaming every 3 seconds for attention. Now that i'm in my 30's I guess I'd rather sit in a matinee, which costs less and actually enjoy the movie. I will do midnight premiers however since they usually bring out the die hards and are quiet.

19. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

whew! Yeah, I heard a young couple arguing as they left the theatre that this was real...now that's just silly. I guess people really wanted to suspend disbelief. As far as I'm concerned, they talked themselves into being scared. They wanted it so badly.

20. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I guess crowds in my area are generally well behaved, because I've only ever had one really bad theater experience and that was at a movie that sucked anyway, Darkness Falls. As a day sleeper, morning shows are pretty much out of the question for me.

Back to the film, what did you all think was the most effective moment? As mentioned before,
    Katie standing over the bed for hours on end
    really shook me.