Paul Naschy

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by MoonGirl84, Nov 25, 2010.

1. MoonGirl84

MoonGirl84 Guest

Any Paul Naschy fans in here?

I wrote a review for Werewolf Vs. Vampire Woman , and hate it that I lost my review. Over the years, Paul Naschy films have been growing on me.

A great trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxZAm_wXvpg

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

funny, i just put in my copy of Exorcism, to watch it for the first time. Like you, my appreciation for Naschy has been steadily increasing.

3. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Naschy was and still is the man. Love the guy. While not all of his films are winners, most of the time watching him chew up the scenery is more than enough to get you though to the end. Night of the Werewolf is a gothic masterpiece, among the top 5 Spanish horror films ever made for my money and Naschy's crowning achievement. It puts everything he learned in the past Waldemar films and perfects them here; in fact, it's probably my all-time favorite werewolf flick.

You also have to love the fact that he consistently casts and writes himself into love scenes with some of the hottest chicks he could track down. He definitely understood how to make the most of his time on set :p

4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I think what really got me into Paul Naschy's films were all of those great remastered releases from BCI Eclipse with the cool introductions by the man himself. My favorites are probably Vengeance of the Zombies and Horror Rises from the Tomb. Also love Night of the Werewolf. Never did get those last two Naschy releases from BCI Eclipse: Curse of the Devil and Werewolf's Shadow, both of which if I recall had fucked up transfers.

5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Always liked Naschy,I was very sorry when he passed away recently.

6. FilmFiend

FilmFiend New Member

I have always loved Paul Naschy films since I was a kid. I was exposed to a lot of his movies when I rented those old "big box" videos from the local mom and pop stores years ago.

I've probably had his autobiography for two years now, and I still haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

7. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Haven't seen much of his stuff, but I like what I did see. I got Horror Rises from the Tomb in one of those 50 horror movie packs and liked it so much I got the actual stand alone DVD.

8. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I'm a big Naschy fan and have collected posters and lobby cards from his films.

Attached Files:

9. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Very cool,I like that VENGEANCE OF THE ZOMBIES one very much !

10. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Paul Naschy kicks ass. The first film I saw him in was Hunchback from the Morgue. Then I saw flicks like Vengeance of the Zombies, Horror Rises from the Tomb, Night of the Werewolf, Curse of the Devil and Panic Beats. The gore is typically above average, the atmosphere can be creepy, and there can also be that slight element of cheese that we all find so appealing. I still need to check out a few of his movies for sure.

11. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Paul Naschy and Mexican Horror in general is an area in horror that I have been severely lacking in. The only Nashy film I have ever seen was Rojo sangre and i didn't care for it too much. I haven't seen any of his older films but I do have the following in my collection I just never got around to watching them. I guess I should start with Night of the Werewolf?

Night of the Werewolf
    Vengeance of the Zombies
    Horror Rises from the Tomb
    Werewolf Shadow
    Curse of the Devil

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  12. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Only spanish violent movies i love are tombs of the blind dead, grave robbers, siete en la mira 2 and el hijo del sherif. When it comes Paul gothic flicks i dont like them. I have watched bunch of his films. Each time I laugh my ass off till tears rolled down my face.

13. MoonGirl84

MoonGirl84 Guest

I'm surprised there isn't a decent tribute to Paul on youtube!

14. Mytee

Mytee Guest

Inquisition (1976) is my favorite but I couldnt find an English trailer for it

15. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I love Paul Naschy, mainly for the reasons KamuiX pointed out! I discovered his movies through the Brentwood movie packs and started buying legit versions as they were released.

I only wished I could have met him while he was still alive. Him and Tom Atkins (another lady's man! lol) are my favorite actors.

16. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Anyone know why we haven't seen more Naschy Blus stateside? There are some Spanish region B versions that have been decently reviewed as far as transfer but many don't have the English soundtrack or subs.

17. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

That is a good question. I've purchased the German release of Frankenstein's Bloody Terror from Amazon.de but it cost $30.00. Considering how many of his films have received DVD releases you would think more blu's would be available. I would have picked up Horror Rises From the Tomb but it isn't English friendly.

18. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

The BCI/Deimos releases weren't big sellers. Could be that and the possibility that the licenses are too high. A pity, obviously, since Naschy in HD is what my collection sorely needs.

19. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

20. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I've heard the licensor has asked for too much $$$... Don't know if that is true or not.