Paul Naschy

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by MoonGirl84, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Looks like (if my translation is correct) that Filmart plans to release ASSIGNMENT TERROR on Blu in 2016. No word on english subtitles.

2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Most Naschy blu-rays seem to run over $30.00. Some are not English friendly either. It would be nice to have some U.S. companies show a little more interest.

3. Angelman

Agreed, but like some of the obscure gialli filmart releases I'll take it anyway I can get it.

4. Angelman

5. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Along with the Redemption blu of Crimson, Vinegar Syndrome is working on a blu of Dracula's Great Love. More Naschy is needed, though!

6. russweiss

Vinegar Syndrome and Naschy. Almost too much to hope for.

7. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

This is one filmmaker that I don't know a lot about. I don't believe I've seen any of his films, but I have seen many photos in various books. If they would start releasing his films on DVD/Blu in the U.S. with at least some English subs, I would blind buy them. Everybody's postings in this thread is proof enough that I need to investigate and find more of his films.

Can anyone give me a list of DVD's/Blu Naschy titles that have been released in the U.S./Canada?

8. russweiss

There are a lot of Naschy DVD's available that are English friendly.

Crimson
    Werewolf Vs the Vampire Woman
    Frankenstein's Bloody Terror
    Horror Rises From the Tomb
    7 Murders For Scotland Yard
    Hanging Woman
    Count Dracula's Great Love
    People Who Own the Dark
    Curse of the Devil
    Tomb of the Werewolf
    Human Beasts
    School Killer
    Panic Beats

These are just off the top of my head. I know I own more than what I listed.

Harry Warden likes this.
  9. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

If you're new to Naschy, I'd try some of the golden era Hombre Lobo flicks first: Curse of the Devil, Werewolf Shadow, Night of the Howling Beast, Dr. Jekyll Vs. the Werewolf, or Night of the Werewolf. I think you'd be fine with some of his other Gothic horrors like Horror Rises From The Tomb or Vengeance of the Zombies, or his underrated giallo, Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll. More recent efforts like Tomb of the Werewolf are decidedly sub-par, and some of his crime/horror hybrids (like Crimson) don't really showcase his strengths. Unfortunately, most of the excellent BCI Deimos DVD releases are out of print and fetching ridiculous prices.

Here are a couple absolutely critical things if you want to experience these films in the best possible manner: 1) be sure to obtain only UNCUT versions; 2) avoid the English dubs at all costs. If you don't get the uncut versions you're going to miss out on the hilariously gratuitous nudity that's an essential part of these films. And the English dubs are generally atrocious, and extremely destructive to the classic horror vibe. Most of Naschy's films golden age films were filmed on authentic locations and made with genuine love for the genre--and atmosphere is a real strong suit when you watch them uncut with the native Spanish tracks. But as soon as you introduce the wildly inappropriate voices and goofy inflections that taint almost all of the dubbed English tracks, they turn into MST3K fodder. Your mileage may vary, but I find the dubbed versions to be completely different experiences.

Do your homework and be careful about the versions that you purchase. I think you'll enjoy these movies much more if you view them the way they were meant to be seen.

Harry Warden likes this.
  10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yeah few if any of these are available domestically anymore unfortunately. BCI did a huge DVD line of them like ten years ago that were great (spearheaded by the Olsen brothers reportedly), but apparently sold very poorly all around. But Spanish license holders consider him a house hold name and so demand high prices for their distribution, which don't translate into US dollars and cents.

Crimson was released domestically by Redemption but I can't say I'd recommend it, as it's one of Naschy's worst and not really the style of horror he's known for. I haven't seen People Who Own the Dark which Code Red has out on Blu-ray in their BigCartel store nor Count Dracula's Great Love which Vinegar Syndrome is putting out soon so I can't strictly recommend them. Again neither are really what he's best known for, which is as a werewolf.

That all being said Werewolf Versus the Vampire Women (aka Werewolf Shadow) is readily available in a large number of public domain releases (rightly or wrongly). Hell there's a good chance you own it already! It's pretty damn good and has all the iconic elements Nashy's known for. This release from Madacy is known to have the more desirable music sound track and US dub: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005A07V There was also an Anchor Bay release some time back that can be had at a more reasonable price: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006ADD7/ although not as good as the BCI special edition.

Night of the Werewolf is my personal favorite which he also directed, briefly available on Blu-ray with Vengeance of the Zombies; both with mediocre transfers. While the going was good about ten years ago, it's all but dried up now. It's probably a fool's hope but perhaps VG can make more releases work after Count Dracula's Great Love. They've found something of a sweet spot with titles before.

Harry Warden likes this.
  11. shape22

I've heard the same thing. It's really surprising and disappointing to me. Of course, Universal claims their classic monster properties are always poor sellers, too. Sickens me to think about it too much. How depressing is it that every crappy Paranormal Activity movie has probably sold more stateside copies than every domestic Naschy title combined? This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to board up my house and live like Howard Hughes or J.D. Salinger.

12. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I have never seen a Paul Naschy movie - so today I picked up the BCI editions of Werewolf Shadow and Horror Rises from the Tomb on secondspin since they had a buy one get one half off sale and only 2 copies of werewolf and 1 copy of tomb. I figure if I do not like them I can always get at least my money back since these are oop. Is the night of the werewolf/vengenace of the zombies blu ray worth picking up for around 40.00? Wasnt sure how high up on the list those movies are for Naschy

13. shape22

Night of the Werewolf is Naschy's favorite film, and debatably the best of the Hombre Lobo series. I prefer some of his earlier Daninsky outings, but it's definitely a strong effort--and very representative of the series. Vengeance of the Zombies is goofy fun, but not one of his better movies.

I have the Blu-ray double feature set you're talking about, and as X-Human noted, the transfers are less than demo material. Grab it if the DVDs aren't any cheaper. But there isn't a huge difference between the SD and HD transfers. BCI did a really good job with the DVD transfers, and the Blu-ray transfers clearly come from SD-caliber masters.

This is a small point, but BCI's discs are also notable for Naschy's awesome on-camera introductions of the films. You can tell he's proud of his work and extremely fond of the horror genre.

othervoice1 and Harry Warden like this.
  14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yeah I recall Cliff MacMillan was pretty honest about Paul Naschy while with BCI, and I don't think it sold even relatively well none the less as well as the high prices licensors were asking. On the other hand it did all sell out fairly quickly on all fronts; even though there were quite a few different discs released. So there is a base here state side. Did they hit them too hard too fast? Did they overestimate possible sales and spent to too much on digital production and high up front manufacturing ending up with boxes sitting it warehouses? But all that's moot. Besides a certain type of fan, Naschy's just not going to have a wide appeal so overall I can believe any release may simply become a labor of love.

The Universals on the other hand I don't believe a word of that being a poor seller. Yeah maybe some of the sequel films down the line don't sell so well, but the originals are still well present in the American consciousness. Svengoolie's able to prop himself up from just a regional horror host to a national carrier on their Universal licensing. And Dracula sells so poorly they released it in theaters last year and Frankenstein/Bride Of a few years before that. :rolleyes: None the less its perennial place on major store chain's shelves every year. It's done so poorly their only thought to combat Disney's Marvel success is to dig these all up and reboot them into a cross franchise! Compared to the rest of their catalog from that era, it's gangbusters now. The only thing they could possibly mean is that they wish they could make even more money from them.

Considering its MSRP was $29.98 I guess that's not bad, though I haven't been shopping around for it. It was a real early Blu-ray with some heavy DNR applied and it was basically the DVD masters dumped on Blu-ray. So not worth an "upgrade" but worth getting as the only copy for the foreseeable future. As I said Night of the Werewolf is a favorite but it took a little while for Vengeance of the Zombies to grow on me; more of an occult film than zombies so that's a hurtle you have to get your mind over right there. But still can be fun.

These are all a lot like the Italian horrors of the day (Horror Rises from the Tomb is nearly identical to Black Sunday[not with the Bava flair mind you]), and the werewolf movies are a lot like Hammer's Curse of the Werewolf. Which makes some sense as these are Spanish. Paul Naschy fancied himself a Spanish Lon Chaney Jr. and really strove to recapture the Universal Classics but much in the same mod as the popular Hammer's at the time (post-Terrance Fisher). I think Naschy did a better job than Hammer did at actually capturing those Universal touches (which they always say Hammer tried to do after Universal picked them up as US distributor but I never felt it).

othervoice1 and Harry Warden like this.
  15. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Probably not but if you really want it then there is a Canadian seller who has it new on ebay right now for ~$35 shipped to the US. 2 copies left.

othervoice1 likes this.
  16. Harry Warden

Thanks guys for all of the great recommendations. I will do some serious research before I plunge into any major purchases. All of your responses (Shape 22, X-human and russweiss are greatly appreciated. This is why this horror board is the best on the internet. I couldn't get this type of help/suggestions anywhere else. Invaluable.!!!

X-human, shape22 and othervoice1 like this.
  17. shape22

Thanks for giving me an opportunity to talk about the late, great Jacinto Molina. For some reason, people in the real world tend to look at you strangely when you try to converse about Spanish werewolf movies from the 70s and early 80s. Thank God for this community.

18. Harry Warden

Anytime.

19. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

The blu-ray double feature is not worth picking up. The transfer has a stuttering effect (it was an early BD release and I don't think BCI encoded it properly). Once you see the stuttering, you can't un-see it. I prefer my DVD copies over the bd because of that problem.

20. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

I really love Panic Beats, an early-eighties effort written and directed by Naschy. The basic plot is "man attempts top frighten his wife to death to be with his lover", so the usual Naschy tropes of betrayal, double-crosses and murder are firmly in place. There are supernatural apparitions, both imagined and real, and a healthy amount of gore. The soundtrack is pretty great, as well. I don't know how other Naschy fans rate it against his other movies, but to me it is certainly one of his better efforts.

I just did a quick check, and looks like your chances of getting a copy for a reasonable amount are slim. Mondo Macabro's fantastic DVD goes for $50 or more, which is a shame because it contains a 28-minute interview with Naschy, as well as a featurette.

Harry Warden likes this.