Paul Naschy

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by MoonGirl84, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Sounds right up my alley!! :D

2. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I agree, delicreep. Panic Beats is a very enjoyable belated sequel to Horror Rises From The Tomb. They're stylistically different films, but Naschy plays the character Alaric de Marnac in both. They work well paired as a double feature.
    This may be an issue with the interlacing performance of your Blu-ray player or TV, rxfiend. The transfers are incorrectly labeled 1080p. They are 1080i, which results in combing and motion artifacts on a lot of setups. I don't get any stuttering or irregular motion (Oppo BDP-103D and 52" Samsung LCD), but I see some forum posts others experiencing the skipping effect you're describing. You might want to try to change the default deinterlacing mode of your player, TV, or both.

The 1080i transfers have plenty of flaws, with visible edge enhancement and excessive digital sharpening among the most obvious. Some reviews say that contrast boosting is egregious, too, but I can't confirm that. I have both DVDs, but I haven't done an A-B comparison with the Blu-rays myself. As for the skipping, it's tough to say whether you're witnessing unfortunate side effects of interlacing or an actual encoding issue. It's possible that some people received corrected discs, and others still have the inferior original versions. The effect you're describing most definitely plagues another BCI release, their DVD of Curse of the Devil. Apparently they messed up the PAL to NTSC conversion on that one, which resulted in VERY obvious frame skipping at regular intervals. Supposedly corrected discs were issued through a recall program, but I never heard about it until BCI had closed its doors. The fact that Curse of the Devil was fixed and you're describing a similar issue on a different release by the same company is suggestive. Maybe you have the original discs and mine are the second pressing?

3. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

As far as Naschy I am fond of the Werewolf films and love Night of the Howling Beast in particular. Boy would I welcome a Blu Ry of that one. I thought Human Beasts was weirdo fun, too.

4. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I watched the dvd of Werewolf Shadow tonight and I really enjoyed it. Glad I took the risk and bought it. Next on my list is Horror Rises from the Tomb....

Angelman likes this.
  5. shape22

Awesome! I have a feeling you're well on the way to being a big Naschy fan.

othervoice1 likes this.
  6. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I found Horror Rises From the Tomb a little stiff...

7. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

I like the film, but still agree with you. Even though it's plenty bloody and gory and has some nifty sequences, the low-key pace is further hampered by that plodding score. And, the male protagonist is such a putz.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]

Well this is interesting:
    https://www.alternativecinema.com/movie/werewolf-amazon-collection

I'm familiar with Ivan Cardoso but I don't think I've seen anything by him. Pretty much any low budget foreign horror is a guilty pleasure of mine so I'm going to have to pick this up.

russweiss likes this.
  9. shape22

I've been eyeing this, too. Please post your thoughts when you can. I have a feeling these flicks are awful, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

10. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I was surprised when Alternative Cinema shipped this to me last week; wondering whether or not they include Werewolf with my order as its release was still a month off. But it came in the mail today all included along with a Camp Motion Pictures button pin. Big one too!

I decided to start from the beginning of the time line and so put in The Secret of the Mummy first (sorry Nashy fans of this thread's namesake). I use to watch crazy movies like this all the time but it's been quite a few years now, so it was a real trip to watch something as zany as this again. It's a mix of John Waters and Jesus Franco, if such a thing could be imagined. A lot of old horror movie cliches from all over the map (though most strongly Hammer's The Mummy but not entirely) but in the sleazy way Franco would deliver it with tons of nudity. But what's most fun is the comedic flourishes that reeks of John Waters; especially since much of the cast gave off that very strong gay vibe. The film quality itself was a lot like Andy Milligan (but better framing), alternating between color and black and white often during the same scenes (I suspect he shot on whatever he could afford that day). Plus Coffin Joe makes an opening cameo appearance!

The film print itself was in good shape (especially compared to Coffin Joe's spliced nightmares). The transfer itself is clearly from an analog source, although in fairly good shape (so at least from Beta). The subtitles are burnt in from possibly the 90's with no text border so sometimes difficult to read (but mostly decipherable). They were well done with good English and only a few typo's. There was only one big instance of video drop out that I noticed.

I'll be making my way through the rest of the set, but I'm already appeased. I don't expect anything better to come along, if even half of what Don May has relayed about the problems using Coffin Joe's elements is true then there's even less hope for Ivan Cardoso.

MorallySound and russweiss like this.
  12. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Nice write up. Makes me want to see Secret of the Mummy.

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Alright, so, with Seven Vampires... I don't even know where to start because it's ALL OVER THE PLACE. But I'll start with this, it's a much better production shot with higher quality film. With that said I feel like the analog transfer is a generation or two further down the pike than Mummy was. Subtitles were a little more readable now though (mostly because it's a darker film).

It seemed to me to be most like Crimewave and from about the same time so they couldn't have influenced each other; just the same fevered dreams of madmen I suppose. There's a lot of giallo influences (Inferno/Red Queen Kills Seven Times) and takes heavily from Italian vampire films and Vampyros Lesbos as well. It's still a lot like Franco but gone are the Andy Milligan flourishes and hap-dash quality of Franco is gone too. It's well polished. The comedy is no longer Waters-esque but more conventional Burlesque comedy and again much like Crimewave. It opens with a wonderful Little Shop of Horrors plant that quickly gets dropped for the vampire/giallo for the remainder of the movie (could have been more like Werewolf of London had he thought about it).

So it's a lot of fun. It gets a bit tedious by the end but it's mostly because you can only cut so much slack to such a meandering plot. Would love to see all these in HD as this is a film rich in colors and contrasts. Will be interesting to see if this is Cardoso at his peak of if he can go further up from here.

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Holy shit I forgot all about this, then I stumbled on the DVD cleaning up after Christmas!

The Scarlet Scorpion ( O Escorpião Escarlate ) (1990)
    With pulp fever gripping the post-Batman world Cardoso took full advantage creating this period radio serialized pulp movie that's a mish-mash of Giallo and 60's Batman with a serial killer mimicking the ultra violence heard on the radio show being produced by the film's leads. It's a lot like Warren Beatty's Dick Tracy if Dario Argento directed it! It's somewhat ahead of its time focusing in on the show runners and fandom for a comic book fueled universe. It also is the most linear of Cardoso's to date because he can play out his fantasies in the radio world while keeping the real world plot on the straight and narrow (for Cardoso that is). Although hard matted it looks the best and had pretty good subtitles. It's probably my favorite as it runs the full gamut of horror/criminal pulp with even dashes of Buck Rogers for good measure.

Then I forgot about this again until the Werewolf thread re-appeared, but forgot again without even watching it, and even all the Paul Naschy news didn't remind me again. Then suddenly out of the blue I was like, "Hrm... What shall I watch tonight? ...HOLY SHIT I FORGOT!"

A Werewolf in the Amazon ( Um Lobisomem na Amazônia ) (2005)
    It's something of a mind bender that Paul Naschy and Ivan Cardoso's worlds collided into making this while fearing another Fred Olen Ray shitfest like Tomb of the Werewolf. That fear was misplaced however at Cardoso's as zany as ever with a plot literally all over the map. This final movie is 16x9 and shot digitally although it seems pretty clear we're again a few generations behind. (Like they ripped the Brazilian DVD and then re-compressed it.) Which is unfortunate because we should be able to have something closer to the source materials from 2005! The burned in subtitles also seemed a step down to me, with more type-o's and even with the little extra language I know I could tell that was not exactly what was being said.

Paul Naschy is in a good chunk of it too, very reminiscent of Lugosi in Bride of the Monster and Karloff as a mad scientist in his final Mexican films but in a good way. I'm certain Cardoso was very intentional in that and Naschy being a fan of these same films appreciated it. He's given some plenty of villainous dialog, some poignant scenes to reminiscent and even a few scenes of praise (as much praise as a mad scientist can expect). I'm curios if Naschy knows Portuguese? It sounded like him, but he's Spanish. And I know Spanish people can understand like Italian pretty well, so I wonder if Naschy just spoke Spanish and Brazilians could understand him well enough? I'm curious to know.

What's amusing to me though is that this looks an awful lot like it was shot in a state park or on the edge of someone's backyard, when it was made in Brazil which is literally on the Amazon. Aguirre this is not! Honestly I think some of the more remote locations in Cardoso's previous three films looked more like a jungle than any location we see in "The Amazon." Hell he's used stock footage heavily before but not a frame of it here. But Cardoso is high fantasy stuff so it's not a big deal (in fact his proclivities feel more a home on the creep Bava-esque indoor jungle sets also used). Just humorous to me that it looked more like Wisconsin than Brazil.

16. othervoice1

Okay I have now seen these Naschy movies and enjoyed them all. Just wanted some opinions on any others I should hunt down as must see
    Dracula's Great Love
    Vengeance of the Zombies
    Horror Rises from the Tomb
    Night of the Werewolf
    The Werewolf vs Vampire Woman
    Curse of the Devil

17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

If you liked Horror Rises from the Tomb, try to find Panic Beats. Naschy's character of Alaric de Marnac appears in both films. Mondo Macabro released it on DVD in 2005, but it's OOP and they no longer have the rights.

othervoice1 likes this.
  18. shape22

Sadly, you'll have to double-dip on a few of these titles. Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll is essential, and you'll need the Shout Naschy collection to get it. You'll undoubtedly dig the other Hombre Lobo flicks, too. Some are better than others, but they all have their moments. Also grab Hunchback of the Morgue, Vengeance of the Mummy, Rojo Sangre, A Dragonfly For Each Corpse, Seven Murders For Scotland Yard, The Hanging Woman, and Inquisition. Welcome to the Jacinto Molina fan club.

othervoice1 likes this.
  19. othervoice1

I was able to find a used copy of Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll Special Edition dvd on ebay for under 16.00 which isnt too bad. Figured a couple might pop up there due to the blu ray release coming up. I would like to check out Panic Beats too but so far no luck on finding a copy at a decent price. Thanks for the suggestions <: