Perfect Horror Film?

Discussion in 'General' started by dwatts, Aug 16, 2006.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Sure, we've had polls, we've had insistent "Easily my favorite movie of all time" posts - but that doesn't quite define the perfect horror film.

What I mean is, is it possible for us to name a movie, a movie we can all agree is truly the perfect horror movie? To qualify, there simply has to be a film that none of us, not a single one, claim to dislike. It might personally be your third favorite film, but it could qualify here if you like it.

For instance - Bride of Frankenstein is a film many people consider to be the best Universal horror, let along best Frankenstein movie they made. However, I think the first one is far better - so it wouldn't work here as the "perfect horror movie".

I'm really looking for a movie that we can all agree is worthy.

I'll start, see if we can end the thing before it begins: Evil Dead. I think it's a good film, surely there's no-one out there that doesn't like it. Is there?

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Suspiria

No, I wouldn't disagree with Evil Dead.

But I would go with Suspiria . . . because, I've never seen anything quite like it then, and like it now. I think Suspiria is perfection at its finest.

So I will say that one, for me.

3. Wayne Manor

Wayne Manor New Member

Is it a horror movie that scares the viewer TO DEATH?!?!?!

4. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Evil Dead is a good one, but I'd go with the original TCM over it, as it just embodies the spirit of horror from top to bottom, from the production to the finished product. Definitely the perfect horror film in my eyes.

5. Criswell

Criswell New Member

For mine, the original Frankenstein is far superiour to Bride, which i have never taken to.

Also.........NOTLD.

6. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

I'd agree with TCM and NOTLD. I might nominate Dawn Of The Dead, Halloween, The Exorcist, Psycho, The Thing, Re-Animator and Alien.

7. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Evil Dead or Dawn of the Dead seem like good bets. I'm an odd man out in a lot of convos though as I don't love Suspiria, NOTLD or Psycho. They're ok, but they don't really turn my wheels.

8. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Yeah there aren't too many horror fans that do not like Evil Dead. It's easily in my top 10 and goes for TCM.

Now I really like Dawn of the Dead, NOLD and Psycho but I don't have them in my top 10 so they may be out.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  9. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Dawn of the Dead. As good as it gets in my opinion. Suspiria can be forgotten about as I don't much care for it.

10. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

I think you guys are missing the point. dwatts isn't talking about do you or do you not like this film. He's asking you to look objectively at a film decide whether or not the elements combine to to yield the "perfect" horror movie.

In which case I think we should first start by asking what constitutes as horror? Are we talking about dark fantasy or real world things that scare the pants off you? A documentary can be a lot more terrifying than a slasher film, so is this constrained to films that necessarily fall under the "horror" section at your video store?

11. Damed

Damed Guest

First off:

I far prefer "Bride" to "Frankenstein". I think Bride my be my favourite movie, period.

That said, I like Evil Dead, although my vote for this goes to NOTLD.

12. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

At the risk of being hanged, I really did not like Evil Dead, I tried to like it and have watched it twice (about 3 years apart) and didn't really enjoy it either time. I liked some of the the atmosphere and such but just overall wasn't a fan of it. Sorry to disappoint, but I have to be honest. I did like NOTLD and most of Romero's dead movies ,however. I am not a huge fan of zombie movies overall though. I would agree with most of the other movies thrown out there, especially TCM, Halloween, Frankenstein, and such.

13. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

OK if we are talking about films I feel have the least room for improvement even though there may be others I enjoy more. I would Probably go with The Exorcist, Jaws, Alien, TCM and The Blair Witch Project and possibly NOTLD and Psycho.

14. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Sorry, but I'm ruining the Evil Dead trend too. It's great, but not perfect. To me it has some pacing problems. It seems to drag a little 3/4 of the way in.

I'd agree with Excorsist, Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Night of the Living Dead. There is nothing that can be done to those films to make them more effective than they already are. They're perfect 10s.

Dawn of the Dead has multiple cuts and therefore loses some credibilty as a finished work. Don't get me wrong I love the shit out of it. But if we're talking perfection, then nitpicking is implied. I am aware of Excorsist and Night of the Living Dead having different versions, but Night's alternate cut is easily dismissed because it's pratically a joke. And as for the Excorsist, seconds difference hardly makes the film that much different.

15. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

My mentioning of Dawn of the Dead is based solely on the USA theatrical release. The release endorsed by George Romero as his preferred cut. I think it is unfair to consider pushing aside a film because someone else edited it in a different manner. Films should be taken into account based solely on their first release. If 2 versions are released at the same time then that is a different matter altogether.

16. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Ok well, I agree the US version is the best, closest to perfection. George has Night of the Living Dead in the running already though ;)

17. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Although Dawn of the Dead is a great film, I think it fails to be a perfect. A perfect horror films need to have all the elements of a good horror film. Dawn of the Dead can not be considered the perfect horror film because when it's all said and done it's missing an essential ingredient. The fear factor. It just isn't very scary. Now again it's a great horror film but wouldn't you agree that to be a perfect horror film should have a strong element of fear?

18. Luna

Luna Guest

Hrm, it seems like the thread is getting too complicated already. Simply going by these rules:
    I can say I enjoyed Evil Dead. :D

Next movie though, because SpaceAce didn't like it. :lol:

19. Spitfire

Spitfire Suspiria

Based on countless polls and surveys, 2 movies always standout;

The Exorcist, TCM.

I think it will be hard for everyone to agree with one choice as opinions vary, for finding the one true perfect horror.

We may all choose one film and someone will eventually not like it. Though I think we could have a list of the movies mentioned, and based on that list have a vote from those top 5 or something, maybe like that you can see which is the one most in favored.

The reason why I had said Suspiria is because it has suspense, replayability, deadly and graphic kills, beautifully filmed, perfect soundtrack, it is genuinely scary (though none of us get scared with anything) but it got me the first time. Watching other movies over time, none has all of the elements that I mentioned over Suspiria.

Another movie that has contending power as a perfect horror movie would be the first Nightmare on Elm Street.

20. Luna

Luna Guest

Now there's one I can get behind. So who here didn't like A Nightmare On Elm Street?