Perfect Horror Film?

Discussion in 'General' started by dwatts, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

And how could anyone not?

I mean, you have a space troll on horseback!!

A space troll!!

They could have stopped the video there and called it a success.

But Billy knew better, and the rest, as George Lucas' lawyers would say, is history.

2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

American Werewolf in London is a good choice. Combines quite a few elements of great filmmaking.

a few more....

How about:

Near Dark
    The Phantom of the Opera (1925) -- little too old?
    The Omen -- the original -- (can't believe I just had to say that)
    Christine
    House of Wax -- Vincent Price one. -- (also, can't believe I had to say that)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  3. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

HELL OF THE LIVING DEAD!

My Big Three are NOTLD, TCM, and THE EXORCIST, but I can totally see why THE EXORCIST might not work for some people.

It may be because I'm such a rabid fan, but I think NIGHT's library soundtrack is as memorable as any of the other classic horror soundtracks.

I think DAWN doesn't make it because even Romero himself has said he doesn't really consider it a horror film. If we have a list for the perfect "Action/Adventure/Satire" it will likely make the cut.

4. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I would agree strongly that Christine, House Of Wax (Price), and The Omen are great horror films. Christine and House Of Wax though unconventional choices are two favorites for as long as I can remember.

5. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I'd back Christine and Near Dark (though I seem to recall in another thread that there were a few that didn't like ND). The other two in that list I can't really say because it's been a loooooooooooooooooooong time since I've seen them.

6. latenite

latenite Guest

For the record, I did not like Near Dark. IMO, it's below the level of John Carpenter's Vampires, which was less than mediocre.

I agree with American Werewolf in London and The Omen.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2006
  7. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I love Jeepers Creepers but i know a fair # of people that do not and it is far from perfect- but I still feel a great fun movie

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I like JC at the movies and enough to buy it on DVD, but the more I watched it the less I liked it and eventually wound up selling it off. I don't "hate" it, but I certainly don't "like" it, that's for sure.

9. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I haven't read this thread for a few days now. Have we figured out the perfect horror film yet? ;)

10. dirkwu

dirkwu Bannable Lector

American Werewolf in London is the perfect horror film in my opinion. That werewolf was freakin scary. It had some funny black humor, gore and boobies!

Plus the effects back in the day were top notch and still amaze me even now. Great great film. Somewhat tarnished by that frenchie pile of crap Werewolf in PAris.

11. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Icksnay on An American Werewolf in London.

12. maskull

Spoilsport:(

13. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

I say Halloween is one of the perfect horror films ever made. It didn't need blood to shock the audience, and the movie constantly kept a sense of unease. Dean Cundey's lens framing really helped bring the intensity of the movie to life and is one of the movies that should be watched in it's original 2.35:1 scope ratio in order to get the full effect.

The technical aspects and the acting really helped the film as well. Carpenter's simple score really added to the atmosphere, and the editing really helps elevate the mood and suspense of the film. Jamie Lee Curtis and Donald Pleasance's acting really brought credulity to the film. And the delicious irony was that Curtis is the daughter of the first scream queen, Janet Leigh.

14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Well, to bring this back. Never really did pick any films out, or did we, I think we did?

Going back to my original idea about Jaws. 99% of people love or like it. And yes it is a horror movie. (thats the argument that so called "rules it out") But shouldn't be , why , because its a horror movie..plain and simple.

Psycho
    Halloween
    Night Of The Living Dead
    Frankenstein
    Friday The 13th

Anymore to add....?

15. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    HALLOWEEN and NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. Both films have a certain "dread" in them. You know "just" enough of the evil to be afraid of it and you're scared enough due to the unpredictability of the horror.
    The lead character has you won over immediately and you're hooked with their plight. Situations for them get worse and worse - until each is pushed into a literal corner by the monsters.

16. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

Actually, if that lead character in NOTLD is the chick, she pissed me off to no end. I fuckin' hate her! I still love the movie though.

Why is The Devil's Backbone not perfect again?

17. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Hehehehe - for NOTLD, it'd be Dwayne Jones' character I'm referring to. Sorry about the vagueness. He's the most identifiable character in the ensemble...to me, anyway.

18. maskull

It's not really about perfection. It's about a movie that everyone on this board likes/doesn't hate. Did someone say they didn't like Devil's Backbone???

I saw someone post in another thread just recently that they don't like the Jaws series. So that might eliminate that movie as well.

19. Luna

Luna Guest

Exactly. Apparently, this cannot be emphasized enough in five pages of 40-posts-per-page thread. :lol:

20. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

How the hell did I miss this thread?

I gotta go with The Texas Chain Saw Massacre as the pefect Horror film. It's certainly not my favorite, but it's pretty hard to beat as far as Horror films go.