Personal Shopper (2016, Olivier Assayas)

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Apr 10, 2017.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Personal Shopper (2016)
    In this director and Kirsten Stewarts (Clouds of Sils Maria) second collaboration Stewart plays a personal shopper in Paris who refuses to leave the city until she makes contact with her dead twin brother. Her life becomes more complicated when a mysterious person contacts her via text message. The film gets by on atmosphere which keeps you in it even when the narrative grinds to a halt. The structure is quite odd but I liked it and Stewart is great in the lead. I vastly preferred their previous collaboration but this was fine.
    6/10

2. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I want this to become a franchise.

(Whatever it is, by the way. I haven't done any research into the story or seen any advertisements for it yet. But, it's a horror film with the word "Shopper" in the title. I want to see an evil shopaholic ghost. Or, evil shopaholic zombies. Either one.)

3. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Yeah well it is a ghost story of sorts but an arthouse one, don't see a franchise coming.

4. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

2010's arthouse can go either way for me. I tried to get into Beyond the Black Rainbow with mixed results, but Under the Skin and Zombie's Halloween II really worked for me. And then there was the first 40 or so minutes of #Horror.