Phantasm 4K restoration

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Dave, Dec 13, 2015.

By Dave on Dec 13, 2015 at 3:08 PM
  1. Dave

Dave Pimp

Aint It Cool News is reporting that Phantasm is currently undergoing a 4K restoration and that JJ Abrams' company, Bad Robot, is involved. Apparently part of the reason for Phantasm V Ravager's delay is Coscarelli being heavily involved with the restoration. Follow the link for the complete article and two screen shots from the restored print.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    Nailwraps likes this.
Sub-Categories: This article has no sub-categories
?

With this news, are you okay waiting on Ravager?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    94.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    5.3%

Comments

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Dave, Dec 13, 2015.

1. YottNik
      YottNik
      Any chance to see the original on the big screen works for me.
    2. Zombie Dude
      Zombie Dude
      I've never even heard of this label. So does this mean we might not be getting the full collection or what? I'm confused as I thought it had been confirmed a set was in the works.
    3. Angelman
      Angelman
      They hinted that a box set was coming.
      Zombie Dude likes this.
    4. MisterTwister
      MisterTwister
      Isn't WellGOUsa the same people who put out Ip Man etc.? Anyways good news!
    5. zbinks
      zbinks
      They're mostly known for acquiring Asian films for US distribution.

"Phantasm: Remastered will screen in cinemas on Sept. 24 as part of the first Art House Theater Day. Phantasm: Ravager will be released in theaters and via digital HD on Oct. 7. Phantasm: Remasteredand HD restorations of both 1994’s Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead and 1994’s Phantasm IV: Oblivion will also be released on cable and digital platforms that day (although plans aren’t finalized, EW has been told 1988’s Phantasm II will be available to view, as well). Later in the year, the films will be released individually on Blu-ray and DVD as well as in a collector’s edition set."

It sounds like there will be a full collection set, but it's not really clear from the article whether Phantasm II will be part of that set or just available for cable and digital distribution.

Yes.
      Zombie Dude likes this.
    6. Zombie Dude
      Zombie Dude
      Thanks for the clarification. Fingers crossed that part 2 is included in the full set. If not it'd be cool for them to leave a space for us to add the Scream! release ourselves.
      Angelman likes this.
    7. fceurich39
      fceurich39
      yep I got zombie hunter blu-ray and dead snow 2 dvd from this label
      MisterTwister likes this.
    8. Nailwraps
      Nailwraps
      Me hopes Well Go manage to work something out with Universal/Shout!. As for the cable/digital distribution for II, not chance from Well Go since Universal owns all US rights.
    9. DVD-fanatic-9
      DVD-fanatic-9
      Boy, I'm... " lovin' " this new Phantasm "Re"master...:

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

:eek: :mad: :( o_O
    10. X-human
      X-human
      Jesus Fucking Christ. Shows that DNR was cranked even past eleven, as it repainted the previous frame of a cut onto the next frame in an attempt to replace "grain" and "specks" with an image. With no thought or consideration being taken. Just push a button, walk away, come back and call it good.
    11. Zombie Dude
      Zombie Dude
      I've only been hearing good things about the new transfer besides the bd-25 and compression issues because WellGo are idiots that don't understand that if a legit 4k disc only has the movie on it then of course there's going to be loss of quality by craming it all on a much smaller disc with special features.
      Fingers crossed this is corrected for the box set (if one is even coming) or that Arrow releases it in the UK (which I'm not holding my breath for at this stage seeing as there's been no official announcements).
    12. KGBRadioMoskow
      KGBRadioMoskow
      Odd, watched the new release a couple days ago, didn't notice any issues like that on the Blu. If anything, I was tempted to post a comment that the image quality was excellent.
    13. Katatonia
      Katatonia
      I watched the new Blu-ray last week, and really didn't notice any DNR or such issues either. I hate DNR and can usually spot it easily if it's excessive.

They should have put it on a BD-50, and made the original Mono track lossless, but it's still the best the film has ever looked.
    14. X-human
      X-human
      Holy fuck that's from compression? I could see how that's possible but never seen anything like it on Blu-ray. In HD you only ever see things like that from DNR run amok! It's like like bad combing from PAL>NTSC.
    15. Katatonia
      Katatonia
      What are we talking about here....the pics that DVD-fanatic-9 posted above? I am confused here, because that really looks nothing like the Blu-ray that I watched. :eek:
    16. MisterTwister
      MisterTwister
      It's DVD-FAN 9...who is anti-blu....so why bother with him?
      Zombie Dude likes this.
    17. Matt89
      Matt89
      I'm super picky about DNR and to be honest I thought the blu-ray looked great. I was actually shocked after hearing that the feature was only like 16GB. Aside from some compression issues (that are still minor), it looks surprisingly good for having been shoved onto a BD-25. I'd even go as far as saying that I enjoyed the presentation and don't have much to complain about. Maybe it's because it looks pretty good considering its on a single layered disc or the film has looked like shit for so long that any kind of a restoration looks far better than anything we've ever seen.

Seriously what were they thinking though? A BD-25? What the hell?

~Matt
      Katatonia and Zombie Dude like this.
    18. Nailwraps
      Nailwraps
      Ghosting!? Did anyone contact Well Go about this? Maybe it's not too late.
    19. Zombie Dude
      Zombie Dude
      I have him on ignore so I didn't even see those. He doesn't even buy bluray's so I'm confused by his post and haven't heard anyone complain about such a thing on Bluray.com so I have my suspicions.
    20. Nailwraps
      Nailwraps
      A person on Blu-ray.com said these came from the DVD. Surprised I didn't noticed.

Anyway, it doesn't bother me if DVD-fanatic-9 hates Blu-ray. Just means more good news for the DVD market (which I also support). ;)
      DVD-fanatic-9 and Zombie Dude like this.