Phantasm series on Bluray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Zombie Dude, Apr 10, 2013.

1. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Really dig that they recorded a new commentary for Phantasm III. The older track with the actors is mainly Michael Baldwin calling Phantasm II a shit movie because he was recast.

fceurich39 likes this.
  2. MisterTwister

This set looks even better in person. It's fuckin' beautiful man.

And that poster is awesome.

fceurich39 likes this.
  3. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

I think part 2 is the best in the franchise always have

hots4 likes this.
  4. MisterTwister

The original will always be my favorite but I enjoy them all. Part II being my fave sequel.

5. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Said it before and I'll say it again: Phantasm II is the Omen sequel that never was, mixed with a little Evil Dead II. Give me pure Phantasm or give me pure Omen. Don't mix the two.

Phantasm II has no identity of its own. Hell, even House II: The Second Story was a more original sequel than Phantasm II. (Though not a stronger film, so... it's weird respecting a slightly inferior film more than a technically superior film.)

6. MisterTwister

@fceurich39

Phantasm II works because it's just an entertaining 80's horror film. Good cast, great effects and a kick ass finale and ending. It doesn't work as much as the original because it lacks that atmosphere it had (mainly due to Universal insisting this one be a more mainstream-ish horror film)

Phantasm III is fun but I found the humor kind of annoying at times and I wasn't fond of the Tim or Rocky characters. Oblivion has grown on me over the years because it reminds me of the original and I love the use of deleted footage from 1 and all the backstory stuff with the tall man.

fceurich39 likes this.
  7. DVD-fanatic-9

Phantasm III is a lot better than Phantasm II for ditching the half-assed religious angle. Regardless of who doesn't care for the new characters (the 2nd film adds bland, flavorless new characters- and drains all the energy out of Mike as the character we remember from the first film without inserting any psychology that would explain why he's changed so much) or claims they didn't like the humor. Reggie has always been a more humored character in the franchise and his increased presence in the 2nd film alone proves that the 2nd film tried for almost as much humor as the first. Yet it fails because the characters are not interesting and the original formula for the original has been changed too much. (That doesn't explain it on its own; change is fine. But this sequel changed by copying other film franchises.)

If someone wants to complain about the humor, they're going to have to slide the first film under the microscope sometime for inspection. Otherwise, any complaints about III leading to a consensus that II is superior are null and void.

8. MisterTwister

The new extras for 3 and Oblivion are pretty great.

9. DVD-fanatic-9

The rain in Spain falls mainly in the plane.

10. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I love the first film but I'm luke-warm on the sequels. I'll pick it up when the inevitable price drop happens over time.

MisterTwister and DVD-fanatic-9 like this.
  11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I received my set yesterday, and it's a beauty. Well Go really excelled in all areas, so I think we can put our fears to rest. The discs for Phantasm and Ravager are both superior to the single issues as far as A/V quality and extras.

My only quibble is that the clear Vortex cases used are sort of flimsy, so I might replace them with clear Elite cases at some point.

I'm not sure it's been posted on here, but here is a PDF comparison of the bonus feature differences between the WellGo and Arrow sets: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5EqoHutdRZCWm9EZjVBWlZaNlU/view

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    fceurich39 and MisterTwister like this.
  12. vidjunkie

vidjunkie Team Blu

Thanks for that PDF, but if you do not have a region free setup you cannot watch the Arrow extras anyways, so WellGo for me.

MisterTwister likes this.
  13. MisterTwister

Holy smokes the transfer on the original is amazing. I never saw the first release back in December so it was new to me and I was highly impressed. Fantastic job JJ Abrams.

14. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I and IV are my favorites.

maybrick likes this.
  15. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

IMO the best Phantasm film debate runs the exact same plot as the best Alien film debate.

Those who think quality horror puts the emphasis on measured paced dread, unease, and things left unexplained or fleetingly glimpsed think Alien and Phantasm are the best.

Those who think fast action, arse kicking, stuff constantly splattering on the screen, and everything explicitly shown defines a great film think Aliens and Phantasm II are the best.

Personally I found a word to describe those who think Aliens is better than Alien, and that word is "wrong".

16. MisterTwister

See I love both quality horror and fast paced action horror. That's why I love both Phantasm and Phantasm II.

No one is wrong with whichever Phantasm they prefer. Hell I'm perfectly fine with someone preferring Phantasm III to the original. What matters is they love it and don't give a shit if anyone else has an issue with it.

17. DVD-fanatic-9

And this isn't even, necessarily, taking into account the legendary score. Which I personally think is the greatest single score in the genre. (Others tend to go Halloween first. I say Phantasm.)

If people really cared about action horror, fast paced or no, they would likely spend more time championing original / non-franchise properties like Richard Stanley's Hardware. Or they'd be going on and on about franchises that work the action in from film #1, like Final Destination. And I love all 5 of those films. So...

Phantasm is just such a great example of one of the peak horror films that shows us how to become excited for the moments when they stop leaving things to our imagination, etc. I mean, no one resents Carpenter's The Thing for wallowing in gore and holding nothing back. In essence, Phantasm and Alien are more like balancing acts. Which would make something like Fulci's The Beyond or, again, Phantasm II the flipside. (Fulci had no bloody patience, and I think that rarely paid off for him.)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  18. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

They are both so different in terms of genre and direction that I don't find it right to say those that like "this film over that film" are wrong. Both are great when it comes to Alien and Aliens, and for different reasons.

It's been a while since I've visited the Phantasm films so I can't really say much till I've refreshed the memory but I get why a lot like Phan 2 so much. It's more polished, mainstream and action packed than the original which appeals to some more.

19. DVD-fanatic-9

I'd love to hear you elaborate on how Phantasm II is more mainstream than the original film.

Not disagreeing with you. I just think that standard may have changed over time.

20. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I say that because it was produced by a big studio with a decent budget to cater to a larger audience. That's likely why it's more in the relm of action horror too.

The original on the other hand was mostly funded by Coscarelli from memory and was his vision without studio involvement.