Phantasm series on Bluray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Zombie Dude, Apr 10, 2013.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

"Phanstam"?

2. Natas

Natas Theres no such thing as the boogyman

Never seen one Phantasm movie.....ever. Sounds like I need to get on that.

Anyone own the blu ray of the first Phantasm, that upgraded to either the Arrow or Well Go set, that wanna work out a barter? (if you were listening to me say that out loud, I'd be baaaaaahtah. Wanna work out a Baahhhtaahh?) LOL

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  3. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Natas

Natas Theres no such thing as the boogyman

I know, man...... shame on me. I remember seeing the boxes at the video store as a little guy......but I never indulged. I MIGHT have caught a sequel during my teenage years but I surely don't remember a thing about it.

5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Lol, well that's embarrassing :p I was trying to save time (using the phone) so I copied and paste "Phantasm" when I was using it but of course the one I decided to copy was misspelt!

6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I think the transfer on part 2 is mostly ok grain-wise, I think the most distracting thing about it is the constant telecine wobble.

Could they not have corrected that? The opening Universal logo is all over the place. And the opening titles are borderline distracting with how much they wobble up and down.

~Matt

7. Zombie Dude

When compared to the Part 2 recaps in Phanstam 3 you can tell how much better the Part 2 print should have been. Not sure why Arrow never made mention of why they couldn't improve on 2 as I thought they were pretty open with that sort of info.

8. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

I got the UK set yesterday!

It's great to see some things like the Phantasmagoria documentary reconstructed with remastered footage from the first 4 films. Though take note, the documentary has the scenes with the sphere from Phantasm replaced by the newer version of the sphere. At least the Well Go version has the documentary with the original sphere.

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Some screenshot comparisons are up for the original Phantasm: http://caps-a-holic.com/c_list.php?c=3836

Thus far it's only comparisons between the Arrow Blu-ray, the older individual Well Go Blu-ray, and the older Anchor Bay DVD.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  10. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Based on the screencaps, the Well Go release appears to have less grain than Arrow. Since I prefer my HD scans as unmolested as possible, I feel better about the extra money I paid to import the Arrow set. I wish the damn thing would arrive already.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  11. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Both caps/scans look real close, except for the slight more grain in the Arrow release like you stated. But as Katatonia said, it's the old WellGo release. So I'm curious to see more comparisons.

12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Workshed and fceurich39 like this.
  13. shape22

The differences are definitely minor, and you're 100% right. A better Well Go encode might reveal the extra grain that seems to be missing in some (not all) of the screenshots. My set arrived! I can't wait to check it out tonight.

14. shape22

All right. I've been able to check out the first two films in the Arrow set, and I can officially report the first chink in its armor. The equalization of the Phantasm II lossless surround track is totally botched. Somebody clearly forgot to properly equalize it. It's totally missing high frequencies, which makes it totally unlistenable for me. Toggle back and forth between the stereo and 5.1 tracks. The difference is striking.

Aside from that, there isn't much to complain about. Phantasm looks amazing, and II looks pretty damn good. I'll be curious to see if any of the professional reviewers take them to task for the lousy surround track. It's an obvious flaw, and every reviewer should catch it.

15. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

I thought it's been stated many times already that this is the same master as the Shout Factory version same with the Well Go version, So I don't know what you are so suprised about. I just got my UK set on Monday and I'm quite pleased with it, I don't think I'll have the need to get both sets.:cool:

16. shape22

Unlike Well Go, Arrow didn't just license Shout's disc, which means different levels of post-processing and encoding even if they used the same scan. I don't believe the audio issue I'm describing is present on the Shout disc, so this IS a big surprise, and a seriously disappointing one. I don't own the Shout disc, so an A-B comparison is impossible. But that disc has been in circulation for years and I don't ever recall hearing anything about 5.1 issues.

17. Zombie Dude

So you found issues in the 5.1 mix? I didn't really notice anything jarring myself.

gobad2003 and Katatonia like this.
  18. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I watched II in the Arrow set the other day, and really didn't notice anything wrong with the 5.1 mix either. It sounded fine to me, or at least about identical with the older Shout disc.

gobad2003 and Zombie Dude like this.
  19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Even when I still had a surround system, I never listened to 5.1 unless it was the only option available. Just as with picture quality, I prefer to hear the movie as originally presented to audiences. I don't think I have ever heard an after the fact surround remix that has sounded completely right, or as good as its original mono/stereo mix.

20. shape22

The issue is in the equalization, which appears to be completely different than the 5.1 track on the Shout disc. I searched several reviews last night to see if any of the reviewers called the Shout disc to task for this. The only one that referenced the equalization said it leaned too hard toward the high end. That's definitely the opposite of Arrow's mix.