Phantasm series on Bluray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Zombie Dude, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

No. It's something people started to speculate when Arrow announced they were bringing the original film to cinemas. There's not been an official announcement from Arrow on any home release or box set. Would be fantastic though.

satans-sadists likes this.
  2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Arrow would be a best case scenario in my opinion for a box set. I'm very much a fan of the Phantasm series, but from what I've seen in the reviews of these two Well Go releases, it just seems like someone (another label) can do better.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. Zombie Dude

I can definitely see Arrow doing better with the set. I hope they are working on aquiring the rights to all the films over there.

4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

https://www.facebook.com/ArrowVideo/posts/1423871010980222

And last but by no means least…

NEW UK ONLY TITLE: Phantasm 1-5 – (Limited Edition Blu-ray Collection)

The Phantasm series is back with added balls! Limited to 10,000 copies.

Pre-order your copy: http://bit.ly/2io2QMA
    Release Date: 24th April 2017

Few horror movie franchises are as iconic as Don Coscarelli’s Phantasm series. From its deadly flying silver spheres through to its hooded dwarf minions, and of course, the towering figure of arch villain The Tall Man himself, the imagery conjured up by the Phantasm films remains etched in the psyche of genre fans everywhere.

Beginning with the 1979 original through to 2016’s Phantasm: Ravager, the five films which make up the Phantasm series follow the young Mike Baldwin as he battles against the enigmatic “Tall Man” - an extraterrestrial being intent on harvesting the human race as slaves for his home planet. Aided by friend Reggie and his trusty four-barrelled shotgun, Mike resolves to vanquish the Tall Man before he wipes out humanity altogether.

Brought together for the first time on Blu-ray - including a stunning new 4K restoration of the original Phantasm overseen by J.J. Abrams (Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Star Trek Into Darkness) - the Phantasm series is back with added balls!

LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL PHEATURES
    •All 5 Phantasm movies together on Blu-ray for the first time!
    •Limited Edition Bonus Disc featuring Exclusive Pheatures
    • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for all films
    •Exclusive 152-page book with new writing on the Phantasm universe from Kim Newman and Bill Ackerman alongside a wealth of archive material, all fully illustrated with original stills and posters
    •Replica Phantasm Sphere
    •Limited Edition Packaging with newly-commissioned artwork from Gary Pullin

PHANTASM (1979 - 2016 REMASTERED)
    •Phantasm: Remastered 2016 Theatrical Version
    •Original Theatrical Mono or Remastered 5.1 Surround Options
    •Phantasm: Remastered 2016 Los Angeles Premiere Audience Track – Join the audience of die-hard fans as they experience the restored classic for the first time!
    •Archive audio commentary with director/writer Don Coscarelli and actors A. Michael Baldwin, Bill Thornbury and Angus Scrimm
    •Reflections of Fear: Realising Phantasm – brand new pheaturette looking back at the making of Phantasm, including new interviews with cast and crew
    •Behind-the-Scenes footage with commentary by Don Coscarelli and Reggie Bannister
    •1979 TV interview with Don Coscarelli and Angus Scrimm
    •Deleted Scenes (6)
    •Original Trailer
    •TV Spots
    •Radio Spots (5)
    •Stills Gallery

PHANTASM II (1988)
    •Original Theatrical Stereo
    •Audio commentary with director/writer Don Coscarelli and actors Angus Scrimm and Reggie Bannister
    •Reflections of Fear: Realising Phantasm II – brand new pheaturette looking back at the making of Phantasm II, including new interviews with cast and crew
    •Angus Scrimm 1989 Convention Appearance
    •Fangoria TV Spot
    •Original Trailer
    •TV Spots
    •Stills Gallery

PHANTASM III: LORD OF THE DEAD (1994)
    •Original Theatrical Stereo or 5.1 Surround Options
    •Audio commentary with actors A. Michael Baldwin and Angus Scrimm
    •Reflections of Fear: Realising Phantasm III – brand new pheaturette looking back at the making of Phantasm III, including new interviews with cast and crew
    •Original Trailer
    •Stills Gallery

PHANTASM IV: OBLIVION (1998)
    •Original Theatrical Stereo or 5.1 Surround Options
    •Audio commentary with director/writer Don Coscarelli and actors Angus Scrimm and Reggie Bannister
    •Reflections of Fear: Realising Phantasm IV – brand new pheaturette looking back at the making of Phantasm IV, including new interviews with cast and crew
    •Original Trailer
    •Stills Gallery

PHANTASM: RAVAGER (2016)
    •2.0 Stereo and 5.1 Surround Options
    •Phantasm: Ravager 2016 Los Angeles Premiere Audience Track – Join the audience of die-hard fans as they experience Ravager for the first time!
    •Audio commentary with director David Hartman and writer/producer Don Coscarelli
    •Reflections of Fear: Realising Phantasm: Ravager – brand new pheaturette looking at the making of Ravager, including new interviews with cast and crew
    •Deleted scenes with optional audio commentary by David Hartman and Don Coscarelli
    •Phuntasm - Bloopers and Outtakes
    •Phantasm and You - a light-hearted recap of the Phantasm franchise directed by David Hartman
    •Original Trailer

BONUS DISC
    •Phantasmagoria - pheature-length documentary covering the original Phantasm through to Phantasm IV: Oblivion, including interviews with key cast and crew members
    • Phantasmagorical Tour - actor Reggie Bannister hosts a tour of some of the key filming locations from Phantasm

PLUS MORE TO BE ANNOUNCED!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Damn this looks amazing and I really wanna get it but I'm just not the biggest Phantasm fan. I have zero interest in seeing Ravager, I like the original and I enjoyed part 2 but the rest are very "meh" to me. Damn this is tempting though, this set looks gorgeous.

~Matt

6. Zombie Dude

Oh hell yes! This will be mine. Thank you Arrow for doing what Well Go is incapable of and announcing a box set!

gobad2003 and satans-sadists like this.
  7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

This set should bury whatever Well Go releases.

gobad2003 and Zombie Dude like this.
  8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I'll laugh if the Well Go turns out to be better than Arrow.

9. foller

foller Active Member

I am a little disappointed. For me the most important disc in this set is part 2. I was really hoping for the unrated version or at least a remastered version. The only extra announced for part 2 is the new documentary. Where are the deleted scenes, the workprint footage, etc... At the moment the Scream Factory extras seem superior.
    In addition I hate these cheap cardboard boxes for the movies. I would have preferred regular cases with newly commissioned and of course original artwork. So I definitely won't buy this set, maybe a second edition without the shpere and with regular individual cases.

10. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Lately I just come on here to see what "Shitbrick will bitch about next" I can't imagine how you act when a real problem comes at you. Probably have a heart attack or two!

11. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Me too. If you don't want to click on the link, move along.

12. Do you see

Do you see Member

I went ahead and pre-ordered from Arrow...just under $90 which included free shipping.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Whatever.

14. maybrick

Looks good, but I'm not blu ray region free. I do own the original UK AB Sphere set though. I'd be content with single releases of III and IV.

15. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Do the prices on the Arrow UK site include VAT like they do on Amazon UK?

16. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I'm sure you heard this a million times from members but going region free is super cheap and easy AND it opens up a whole new world. I watched the Camera Obscura Blu of 'What Have They Done to Our Daughters?" the other night and it is fucking jaw dropping. Worth it in my book.

There are also unused hardcore inserts as an extra that will make you swear off of sex forever.

Steel76, gobad2003 and Zombie Dude like this.
  17. maybrick

I know. I'm just not enough of a movie collector any more to bother. I'm patient enough to wait, especially for films such as these that I already own in one form or another.

Angelman likes this.
  18. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

LMAO.

19. Zombie Dude

I'd also laugh but I find it hard to believe. Maybe their package could end up looking really nice but I'm doubtful.
    Well it does say there's more details to come so I doubt this is final. They don't even mention new transfers which at least 3&4 will have as they've never been on blu so I think it's possible Part 2 could be a newer transfer to the Scream Factory one, plus more extras could still be announced.

20. maybrick

I rewatched III recently and the DVD seemed really in need of a thorough remastering. If Scream's blu ray transfer of II was lacking in some respect then I guess I should be happy that I didn't notice. The release of the film to DVD, never mind blu ray, was ridiculously long overdue in America by the time that it eventually came out. I was just glad to finally own it.