Phantasm series on Bluray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Zombie Dude, Apr 10, 2013.

1. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Well Go Boxset Details:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5PCUT...98569&linkCode=ur1&adid=0HDSBRB8MEV9SJSAKWZ3&

Phantasm II looks like it might be the Scream Factory disc, though it doesn't list Rare Short Film Featuring Rory Guy in the extras.

Edit: They also seem to have added more extras to Phantasm than they included on the standalone disc.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    Harry Warden, baggio and Nailwraps like this.
  2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well I placed my order with Arrow just to secure a spot. These new details from Well Go also sound promising so I'm interested to see what they end up doing and if it compares with Arrow in terms of packaging and disc content (which I'm assuming will be very similar to these new specs from Well Go).

Just having this whole collection on bluray and in one set is amazing and it looks like I can likely retire my UK dvd set. I am curious how Arrow plans to pack the discs within the set as they don't appear to go into the sphere like the dvd set did.

Katatonia likes this.
  3. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Well Go, I underestimated you. Well done (for Well Go!). :)

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I also already have the Arrow set pre-ordered, which looks like it will be awesome, but it will be interesting to see how these compare.

The individual discs that Well Go released left a lot to be desired, so hopefully they'll improve with the set.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I'm really only a big fan of the first 2 films in this series, but I pulled the trigger on the Arrow UK set anyway. I'm much more concerned about the transfers than the extras, and Well Go's decision to put the original out on a single layer disc made this an easy call for me.

I'm not really expecting much from Ravager, but I'm curious to revisit 3 and 4 in hi-def. The sphere DVD set transfers were excellent for the time they were issued, but they're dated now.

6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Well Go looks excellent(as far as content) Picture quality is another thing that everyone will have to wait for to compare with Arrow.(btw, nobody know the the quality of Arrow either)

One thing from the lists is quite noticeable , is that Well Go has more deleted scenes among the films. I really don't know why anyone would doubt them that they would put out a decent collection. In fact I would go out on a limb and say Arrow is trying to undercut Well Go imho. Jealously? Seriously why would Arrow release a collection knowing Well Go is releasing one? Usually they release films that have not been released in the US.

7. Zombie Dude

Did you really just ask that question? I can't tell if you're joking...

Arrow can't help that they have their marketing shit together and made an announcement before Well Go. Well Go took so long to make an announcement with any kind of info and details that a lot of people were starting to doubt a box set was even coming from them. I think it's beyond ridiculous to think Arrow decided to release this set out of "jealousy". They bought the rights for the UK so power to them.

8. Zombie Dude

Also, Arrow's announcement stated "more details to come" so I'm willing to bet those deleted scenes will likely show up on their set too.

9. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Phantasm is a popular series and they had already secured a UK license to the series when it became available.

Katatonia likes this.
  10. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I'm going Arrow for this one for, I think, obvious reasons. Nothing against Well Go but I already refrained from the first film's standalone disc, Arrow never disappoints.

11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I actually think I might get this set. I wasn't going to get the Arrow but I think I'll pull the trigger on this one. Four reasons:

1. They've added more special features to the disc of part 1, and I hope that's an indication that they're putting the first film on a BD-50 this time. (Either way, I was pretty impressed with the previous disc.)

2. I'm gonna wait for reviews to see, but to be quite honest, the Arrow specs for the sequels don't indicate new scans either so I think it's safe to assume Well Go are using the same masters.

3. I'm really not a fan of the packaging on the Arrow set and I'm hoping when Well Go release the artwork for this it'll be more of a standard box set.

4. I was cautious of pre-ordering another title from Arrow because of how destroyed my Donnie Darko set was (and I've had it happen before too), whereas this one I can pick up in-store or get it replaced since it's not limited and irreplaceable if it gets damaged in the mail.

Also it's $79.99 right now and the Arrow set is £99.99.

I love Arrow but Well Go has me sold on their set so far. It seems like they're going all-out and putting a lot of effort into this release.

~Matt

Harry Warden likes this.
  12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Have no idea if this is the final "cover art" for the Well Go USA Collection release. It's what Amazon shows. But if it is, I like this a lot. Better than what Arrow is showing imho. If the video quality is very good to on par with Arrow, than the Well Go set is the one I would get.

[​IMG]

13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Something about that face makes him look less like The Tall Man and more like one of the founding fathers.

Spacevis likes this.
  14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

^ Lol.

I don't dislike the artwork, but I was hoping they'd do something similar to the cover art on the remastered edition of part 1. I really liked it.

~Matt

15. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

[​IMG]
    This Arrow artwork?

I wish I could see it closer, but I kind of like it. (Speaking as someone who would never buy it.)

16. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I like this artwork better as well. I am going with the WellGo set. Not region free and never intend to be. The first two films are my favorites and the rest will be nice to have, but the U.S. set will suit me fine.

17. Zombie Dude

I quite like that art. I think it feels more like Phantasm than the hard box from the Arrow set. I get that they're trying to go for the Mausoleum marble look but it looks too light and doesn't fit the tone of the films imo. That said, the individual case art in the Arrow set is pretty sweet. Will be very interested to see what the whole set looks like for the Well Go release.

18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I highly doubt it, but it would cool if the Well Go USA set included a Sphere too like Arrow. But I would trade a Sphere for excellent picture quality any day.

19. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I'll be going with the Arrow release for the new features. The Well Go box set is fine if you want to get rid of your previous editions and have the archive bonus materials all in one place. It appears to include most everything from the UK DVD boxset, the region 1 Anchor Bay releases, and most of the Scream Factory extras for II (looks like a couple of featurettes are missing). What I love about the Arrow set (besides the extra care put into the packaging and the hardcover book on the series) is that it comes with just about every archive feature found on the Well Go set and they've already announced a new five part documentary going into every installment of the franchise. Maybe each company will announce more items to differentiate their releases, but they have a lot in common and for someone like me who already has the Anchor Bay UK set and Scream Factory's Blu of II, getting the Arrow exclusives makes them the winner for now.

20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

The Well Go set is currently $44.19 at Target online for pre order.