Phantom of the Paradise

Discussion in 'Classic' started by RyanPC, Dec 22, 2004.

1. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I just got the DVD through Fox's Halloween buy two get one free offer, and boy am I glad I did. I'd seen the movie before, and while I loved it then, it didn't really occur to me at the time how great this movie really is... in fact (if YMDB were working right now), I'd add it to my Top 20 list in a heartbeat. Fantastic songs, wonderful direction, and a great story (plus Gerrit Graham as Beef :lol: ) are what make this film so memorable to me.

So what are your opinions on this classic? I think it's even better than Rocky Horror as a cult film, IMO.

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I hate musicals, and this one is right up there on the list. But it does have some charms (around the songs). I also distinctly remember this one when it got its theatrical release, so it's in the back of my mind as something I ought to own.

The mask looks better in pictures than it does on the screen. Mainly though, the songs are just..... bad. :D

3. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I think you've lost your mind.

4. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

I watched this one about 6 months ago and I couldn't wait for it to be over.I totally hated it.Of course I'm not a fan of Rocky Horror Picture Show either.

5. betterdan

betterdan Guest

And now you've lost your mind too :(

6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Add me to the "not a fan of Rocky Horror Picture Show" as well. It's just never clicked with me at all, and the songs were NEVER cool.

I expect going to a life performance is a lot of fun, though - if the audience are getting into it. BUt owning the damn thing on DVD and sitting and watching it? No way.

7. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I already knew you lost your mind years ago ;)
    Of course you HAVE to see it with people in the audience talking back and performing to the movie or you will more than likely never get what all the fun is about. I still like popping in the dvd once in a while with the audiene participation track on and reliving the fun times at the theater :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2004
  8. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Don't get me wrong... I still like Rocky Horror (it used to be my favorite movie of all-time when I was younger), but it's lost its edge after so many viewings. :(

9. wgdavis

wgdavis Guest

I mentioned in another thread that the General Cinema near me used to show RHPS and Floyd's "The Wall" on friday nights at midnight. There was definately a diversity in the crowds - the leather chap wearing, face painted, wig wearing gurly men and manly gurls with props waiting to see the Rocky Horror Picture Show, and the drugged or drunk stoners trying to sneak Buds (both the beer and the, uh, plant material) into the theatre waiting to see "The Wall". Other than once on HBO/Starz/Encore, I have never seen Rocky Horror, and my life seems just as fullfilled for that.

"The Wall", on the other hand, I can quote in my sleep - or maybe they are just flashbacks... :D

10. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

Ahhh, Paul Williams. Sort of a chunky John Denver, don'tcha think? Haven't seen this movie but saw him in a ton of other movies throughout the seventies and early eighties, his most memorable role for me was in Battle for the Planet of the Apes.

11. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

I guess I have, too. I love Phantom of the Paradise, it's up there with the best of DePalma, imo (Sisters and The Untouchables are slightly better) and it's one of my favorite musicals as well. Only Singin' In The Rain and the surreal 42nd Street surpass it.

12. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Now don't get me wrong I don't dislike Phantom it's just that Rocky Horror is so much better.

13. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Aww, what do you know? You just told me in chat that you can't even remember Phantom except for Jessica Harper looking sexy. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2005
  14. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I said I don't remember it that well. Harper is one of the nice memories I have from it.

15. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

While it may not be the exquisite perfection that Rocky Horror is, Phantom does get the Mutley Hyde Classic Seal of Approval. [​IMG]

16. I love this movie as it's one of my all time favorites , i just wish they could release a special edition sometime in the near future . Though i am a much more of a Rocky Horror fan than Phantom , but they both are in my top 10 of best cult films .

17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Great movie indeed. I grabbed this one on DVD when Wal-Mart had it for $5.50

18. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I wholeheartedly agree! I've always preferred it to Rocky Horror. Simply, a great film. One of De Palma's best.

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

This was my review from a couple of years ago:

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/n-z/potp/

I also made the Rocky Horror comparison, and like a lot of people here, I definitely prefer Phantom. Have you ever seen Rocky Horror WITHOUT the audience participation?? Man, it's a terrible movie!

20. dwatts

dwatts New Member

-- Have you ever seen Rocky Horror WITHOUT the audience participation?? Man, it's a terrible movie!--

You see! That's the ONLY way I've seen it, and I couldn't believe anyone cared about it :D