Phenomena (Arrow) Blu-ray Specs

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zombi3, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

2. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Another DNR'd to the extreme Arrow release. Who thinks scrubbing a film to the point where people's faces look like they're wax statutes is a good thing?!

3. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

"There are no issues with compression and DNR while present it is never too intrusive."

How can you say Arrow took DNR to the extreme when the review says DNR while present it is never too intrusive.

I have the disc and I can say DNR is not noticable like Deep Red or The Beyond.

Phenomena is beautiful in the image department.

4. KamuiX

I can say that because all texture has been wiped out of people's faces, especially Jennifer Connelly's. They look fake, far too smooth and waxy. You can't just go by what a review says; one man's trash is another man's treasure. There are people that like the Blu for A Bay of Blood, while I think it totally sucks out the mood of the film regardless of the added definition and clarity. I think both Arrow and BU's versions of City of the Living Dead look great, yet there are a number of reviews that bitch about the amount of grain and its dated look (well, no shit! :p). I also remember when the first Blu of Predator came out, everyone was up in arms about how awful it was. Then they released the Hunter Edition, that is unarguably an abomination, and people decided the original wasn't so bad in the first place.

It's fine that you like it, it's your preference. But I'm not alone in thinking the way some companies handle Blu transfers is really disappointing, and the new practice that I've seen lately of brightening the picture is very worrisome. HD was always about adding depth to the picture thanks to a wider array of blacks, yet it seems like some companies can't grasp that. The comparisons of Inferno over at Mondo Digital are startling.

It's just odd how inconsistent Arrow is; they either don't muck with the source much (COTLD, Battle Royale, Vamp) or go completely overboard. I don't really get it :confused:

5. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Phenomena was never a film where you had much texture because of the film stock used.

Like I said in my previous post, I have the Blu-Ray.

But I respect your opinion and you have the right to have one.

6. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

Just been posted by HMV, Looking forward to seeing this again.

7. KamuiX

My Anchor Bay DVD doesn't make people's faces look like they've been covered in wax, though. Hopefully I Spit On Your Grave sells well for AB, and they'll do some of the Argento they still have the rights to. I guarantee it won't look like Arrow's.

8. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Neither mine... on Anchor Bay DVD or Arrow´s Blu-Ray.

If you want to see the waxy effect caused by DNR you have to check the Deep Red Blu-Ray. Compared to Deep Red, the Phenomena Blu-Ray is miles away.

9. KamuiX

I'm not getting into an argument; it's your personal perception here that doesn't see it, the same way I don't see the artefatcs and imperfections some reviews have pointed out in City of the Living Dead. While the waxy effect isn't nearly as prevalent as on something like the Predator re-release, it's there, and I'm not the only person that notices it; hell, even Ian's review that you linked the screens from mentions it. I'm sorry, but Connolly's face on my Anchor Bay DVD doesn't have the smooth, texture-less look that's on the Arrow Blu screens.

10. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

All this talk about wax on wax off has gotten me into Karate Kid mood. I think I'm going give karate Kid a spin tonight. Now I got the theme song blasting my skull!
    "YOUR THE BEST AROUND!!!! You're the best, around
    nothings gonna ever keep you down, youre the best, around
    nothings gonna ever keep you down, youre the best, around
    nothings gonna ever keep you down."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1kS0A_E2Ag

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

12. KamuiX

Wonder if they went back and did a little more work that the screeners don't show? Those shots look a little better than all previous ones to be honest, although I still like the blue's and grain structure better in the shots from AB's Argento Collection. Instead of not considering this release at all, I might pick it up if I could get it under $20.

13. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Be assure Arrow didn´t went back and did no work on this release.

This is the prove of what I learned a few years back.
    You can trust the P/Q of a release based on stills from some reviews.
    Like I told you, I have this blu-ray, bothe the screener and the retail version and they are the same a look amazing...

You can see the blu-ray is a balance between the colors of the other releases.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  14. KamuiX

Why do you keep bugging me? Does Arrow pay you to defend them on forums when someone says anything bad about them? Seriously dude, I've been reviewing and judging PQ for over three years now, and the fact of the matter is, when I see NUMEROUS reviews with stills that ALL LOOK SHIT (and many of the shots, such as those from Ian's review, aren't compromised by compression at nearly a MB a pop), then it's a good assumption they're spot on. DVDBeaver's shots are the first that don't look god-awful, so common sense would say something COULD have changed in the encode department. Again, I was just speculating on an impression I got. And there isn't much of a balance to the colors; the final comparison shot basically mirrors the PAL releases, thus they're likely using the same print, I highly doubt they took the AB release into consideration when authoring the disc.

Please, stop following me around in every Arrow thread and replying to stuff I didn't even direct at you. I'm flattered and all, I've always wanted a stalker, but it's not quite as cool as I thought it'd be.

15. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Please wake up for the real life for you to think I´m stalking you. You really think you´re that important? LOL...
    This is a forum and is normal for people to come here and post. It´s not my fault that I like Arrow releases and for that I come to the forums everytime there is a post.

Seriously, dude yourself. That´s great your doing reviews for over three yers now, as I´m doing restoration work for over 15 years.
    Me, working for Arrow, not. Never knew anyone there and maybe never will never will.
    I will not start abou the colors. I got my opinion and you got yours... I feel happy about it and you got your reservations.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  16. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

[​IMG]

https://www.facebook.com/ArrowVideo...2409.124795987554404/1516938045006851/?type=3

Nailwraps and satans-sadists like this.
  17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

18. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

19. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

20. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member