Phenomena (Arrow) Blu-ray Specs

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zombi3, Feb 1, 2011.

1. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

FYI, Amazon UK price has dropped to £24.99 for new Phenomena LE.

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I got the new Phenomena set in the mail the other day which was a surprise as I'd pre-ordered a few titles that aren't out yet on the Arrow store and didn't know if they'd wait to ship them together. I didn't get an email or anything indicating this one had shipped so it was a very nice surprise.
    I watched the 110min version which is my preferred cut. The Italian cut isn't great to watch in English as there's snippets of dialogue that are still in Italian due to the English for those bits being lost. The extra scenes/shots don't really add anything anyway and I grew up watching the 110min version so it was great to finally have that cut on blu (Arrow's previous blu only had the Italian cut).
    Now I should mention I've not seen the Creepers cut before but there is a great feature on the international cut disc that goes through a lot of the main differences in all 3 cuts and it seems Creepers is more of a curiosity watch at best.

The new transfer looks gorgeous. It has way better colours and clarity than Arrow's earlier disc and I was really surprised by how good some scenes looked. It was like watching the film anew which I really enjoyed. I'm definitely glad I picked this release up and highly recommend it.

Steel76, Katatonia and Matt89 like this.
  3. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Checked out the Phenomena set yesterday and was really happy with it, it looked great and I wound up watching both the Italian and Creepers version of the movie. The only complaint I have is the absence of the track Valley from the soundtrack, seems odd that it would be missing considering that you hear it like 3 times in the movie. I remember the old Anchor Bay DVD had the video for it and I watched that one many times back in the day too. Did the Synapse release have this track on the CD? Regardless I think I'd be pretty annoyed right now had I bought that release only to see this one come along!

4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

The Synapse CD is the same as the Arrow CD, which is the Goblin score plus the four bonus tracks from Andi Sex Gang / Simon Boswell. The Valley track by Bill Wyman and Terry Taylor being in the movie is a different story as it would have been licensed to the motion picture only. Releasing it separately on a soundtrack or CD you need a completely different set of rights for the music, that's why the Motorhead and Iron Maiden tracks are also not on the CDs included in both the Synapse and Arrow sets.

f.ramses likes this.
  5. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Zombie Dude likes this.
  6. Zombie Dude

Wow, I didn't expect there to be that big a difference between the Synapse release and Arrow's. The colour seems to pop a bit more on Synape's release (depending on the screen-grab) but detail is definitely lost. Just the first image of the bus is significantly better on the Arrow disc. You can see details in the trees, mountains, peoples faces and clothes etc that you can't in the Synapse version. I noticed more crushed blacks in some of the other comparisons on Synapse's release which was surprising. Also Arrow has more picture on all sides.
    Very glad to have the Arrow set after seeing this. It also has me a little worried about Synapse's Suspiria release. I guess I should also add that I'm not sure if Synapse release was made from a 4k master or not like Arrow's was so maybe that's part of the problem.

7. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Synapse's Phenomena was not sourced from a 4K master.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  8. Zombie Dude

Well that explains that! Thanks.