"Pieces" German LBX Import

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by gunner, Aug 9, 2002.

1. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I finially picked up a copy of the german import of "Pieces". I know that Grindhouse has this in the cards for a future release but I was just too damned anxious to see Pieces in a respectable presentation and didn't want to wait 2 years or so until Grindhouse gets thiers out. Before I picked this release up I looked around for reviews or comments on it, and didn't find hardly a thing. So I figured I would help anyone else here that may have been curious about this release like I was. I'll keep this brief but it'll at least give you an idea...

- First I would like to say that this release is not region 2 as stated on the box and at many dealers sites. It is actually region 0,PAL.

- Video: Beautiful. I can't say how pleased I was finially to see this movie in it's original aspect ratio (approx 1.66:1 and not 16x9 enhanced). The image is much sharper and brings out alot more detail. I was also surprised to see how much picture was missing on the previous pan and scan vhs/dvd releases. There is very little grain and the dark scenes have decent contrast, for once you can actually see whats going on during them. About the only real flaws with the transfer are white specs and vertical lines. These show up from time to time throughout the film but not to the point of being distracting. There is also quite a bit of edge enhancement visible, but to me that only reassures you that finially your seeing a transfer thats not ported from an old vhs tape, work has actually been done. Colors are also much more natural, not bleeding and over-saturated like on the diamond disc. I compared the two transfers and they're as different as night and day.

- Audio: Not much to say, 2 channel dolby digital mono with option of german or english language soundtrack, oddly the english track sounds better (I would have expected the german track to be superior). I will say though that the audio is an improvement over the diamond release. Dialog is much less muffled, but still nothing sensational.

_________________Extras________________________

- Trailer: I've always been wanting to see how this film was advertised. The trailer has no voice over, just clips of the film with some simple optical effects at the beginning. But still pretty cool.

- Still Gallery: This was just a compilation of scenes from the film. But presented in a clever way by having puzzle pieces as thumbnails, with the bloody nude puzzle in the background.

- Goofs: This was narrated in german language which I don't speak but it's basically screw ups in the film that are pointed out to the viewer and presented with text and narration followed by the clips. Actually this would be cool to see on an american release.

- Bios: Text bios for the cast/crew that are also narrated in german. I actually started to like this narration idea, some on- screen text can be hard to read. There is also a small seperate text/narration essay on Pieces itself.

- Making Of: As stated by someone on this board before this is not the making of Pieces. Just a short subject titled "Making Of A Horror Film" which is in english and covers the making of a santa claus themed slasher from the UK. But, this film is in fact related to Pieces. Edmund Purdom who played the character of the Dean (killer) in Pieces directs this slasher being documented. He provides an interview in which he claims an ex tried to murder him via hair dryer in the shower. It's quite amusing but I doubt I would watch it again.

- The animated menus are also pretty well done. Much unlike the generic menu provided on the diamond release.

Well, there's my little half assed review. The quality is a great improvment over what your used to, especially in the image quality department. I would recommend this disc to any impatient fan of Pieces that doesn't want to wait for the Grindhouse release to see a decent letterboxed presentation. Grindhouse's will no doubt be superior but may take a dogs age to see the light of day.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2002
  2. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

thanks man! that review would make me run (well surf the net) to get it..but im going to wait for the grindhouse version..even tho it will prolly be like 5 years. thats a great half ass review!

3. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Yeah, I don't expect many people will buy this import release, and for good reason. I just felt compelled to picking this up, curiosity I guess. Call me a guinea pig but a damned happy one. I've finially been able to see Pieces outside of the panned square box and ear muffed sound.

I also forgot to add. There was an issue as to if this german "uncut" release had a more complete version of the film than the american release. I may have overlooked something but I believe that they are the same exact cut. I didn't notice anything more or less footage-wise than the vestron/diamond release.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2002
  4. Wez4555

cool thanks..yeah i feel ya on the OAR. i almost picked it up awhile ago cause i love this movie and bad movies in general. but maybe its just me....but i actually like having in Pan and Scan and shitty looking...haha it seems like it fits the movie perfect(thats the only time ive ever wanted pan and scan), but it will be nice to see it in its OAR and lots of extras. im down about the trailer tho..i thought there would be some deep corny echo voice that said "PIECES". haha again that was a great review...ive only done one review and i plan on doing more as soon as i kick my lazy habit as of late.

5. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I just watched this yesterday after buying a Brentwood 4-pack entitled "Blood Bath". I thought it was a good flick with lots of good gore and death. The transfer was nothing to brag about, but not as bad as the Bruce Lee double-feature everyone hates. The 4-pack also came with Kill Baby Kill, Devil's Nightmare, Kiss Me Kill Me and something else, I dont remember. Not a bad buy though for $10. I'll buy a R1 copy of Pieces when it comes out.

6. Wez4555

haha i almost got tales of terror, frightnight, and blood bath sets. then i compared and saw that the movies in the blood bath set are all on one of the 10 packs. anyway i wish they didnt repeat with the 4 disc ones.

7. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I had to get rid of my Diamond version, that shit was just unwatchable. At least it didn't have the blue screen at the end when the laserdisc was done playing (like Diamonds House By The Cemetary), but that's probably cuz it was ported from VHS:confused: .
    Good review though, you answered all m questions I had about the region 2 disc. Think I'll wait for the real region 1.