Pioneer (DVL-700) and a Toshiba (SD 2008)

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by TobalRox, Dec 3, 2015.

1. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

Both of these are available near me on craigslist but I'm still clueless what's good or bad. They're saying $300 for both. Thoughts?

EDIT: Also available - Kenwood LVD-700, Pioneer CLD 2080, and two Pioneer Elite (DVL-91 and DV-46AV) .

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Here ya go:

First of all, the Toshiba SD-2008 and Pioneer DV-46AV are DVD players, not laserdisc.

The Kenwood looks like a re-badged Pioneer (many LD players, like Mitsubishi and Proscan were), but of an early model. The Pioneer 2080 also dates all the way back to 1990, and is an early attempt at two-sided play. I'd avoid it.

Now, the remaining two players are "combi" LD/DVD players, and have some pretty good reviews:
    http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/dvl-700.htm
    http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/l...pioneer_elite_dvl-91/pioneer_elite_dvl-91.htm

Looking around at some other reviews and comments, both players seem to be around the CLD-60x level; mid-tier LD players. Not top end like the 70x, Elite 79-99, X9 or S2 level. A good description is that they're capable of both (LD and DVD playback) but excel at neither. Still, I'd say that if you can't find one of those top-end players, the 700 or 91 might be decent enough for you.

3. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

Thanks for the help. I am guessing that they gave me the DVD model numbers since they looked at the boxes they were in and not the players themselves as they had video of it being a laserdisc player. Things have been so crazy with the holidays and work that I just haven't even begun to keep in touch with the people and hopefully I can get something in the new year. For now my current player is doing me well for what I need it for (I'm watching cheesy movies, don't need the best looking or sounding player).