Piranha 3D delayed until Aug 27th 2010

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Jan 16, 2010.

1. deepred

deepred Member

Thank you. I love shlock too but that doesn't mean you cannot have fun characters or campy dialogue or a sense of adventure. This movie was just BAD with lousy characters, bad dialogue that was not campy or funny, and there was no adventure or pacing - just tits and blood and imho it did not have any schlocky charm.

Just because someone did not like this "schlock", does not mean they walked into the theatre expecting Citizen Kane.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  2. rhett

rhett Administrator

3. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

It better be a remake of Piranha II: The Spawning.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Oh, and if that...um...special effect....was based in reality, it certainly explains how the fat kid from Stand By Me ends up with both Sarah Michelle Gellar and Rebecca Romjin.

5. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I haven't seen this yet but plan to...
    However, can you believe it? 83% on Rotten Tomatoes!

6. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

It only cost 24 million and made 10.5 million opening weekend. I guess they're assuming the final BO tally, combined with video rental and sales, will make up for it. And, if it not, they can always just cancel the sequel.

7. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Hopefully the sequal gets made. This was never advertised to be a serious film. I don't get why people scoff at the idea of paying to see this film, yet see some of the other crap they do. Is Transformers high art all of a sudden. WTF happened? Is it the heat?

8. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

He hooked up with SMG, too? :eek::eek1::cry:

9. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for the info !

10. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Sounds like a clever marketing ploy from the Weinsteins to get more audience interested in seeing Piranha 3D after meager box office results.

"They already announced a sequel? We gotta watch the first one!"

Of course I could be wrong but one never really knows.

11. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

At a $24 million budget it can't help but make money. As has been pointed out time and again more than 50% of a film's gross is made on video in today's market. After all of this time people spend too much time dwelling on the box office tally when in the long term it doesn't really make all that much difference anymore unless we're talking about something that took in excess of $100 million to produce.

But back to the film, I don't know what everybody's problem with the film is, or with the 3-D. It was a great deal better than some of the 3-D I've seen in the past. Yeah, it's a gimmick. So what? I wish more 3-D films would shove stuff in our face like this one did. We took the kids to see Toy Story 3 a few months ago and while it had great depth of field, after a few minutes we didn't even notice it anymore.

I loved Piranha and if it's still around this weekend I'll be seeing it again with the wife!

12. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

It did so poorly they've already announced a sequel. Why is it every time a movie doesn't break 100 million, people on message boards start blathering on about a film failing. Piranha 3D's Production budget was 24 million. So frustrating

13. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the hell out of it. I'm glad to see it doing well.

It did so poorly they've already announced a sequel. Why is it every time a movie doesn't break 100 million, people on message boards start blathering on about a film failing. Piranha 3D's Production budget was 24 million. So frustrating

14. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

What the hell are you "blathering" about? and what's your point about the sequel? How much did Wrong Turn 2 make? They still made Wrong Turn 3. The Leprechaun franchise? Was Rob Zombie's Halloween a good film by any stretch of the imagination? it still got a sequel. Sequels and remakes are Hollywood's bread and butter these days, neither indicators of good filmaking.
    Next time you try making a point make an attempt at injecting some logic into it. "So frustrating". :banana:

15. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

1) Wrong Turn 2 grossed $12m with a production cost of $4m. Not a blockbuster for sure but certainly a decent return on investment.

2) How dare you bring 'Leprechaun Back 2 The Hood' into this! :fire:

3) No, Rob Zombie's Halloween was not a good film by any stretch of the imagination. Unless that stretch includes taking a shit in the mouth of one of the most beloved films in horror history.

But yeah, sequel announcements don't mean much. I'm sure they'll get a script written and see how this one pans out before deciding on another theatrical affair or a straight to dvd release. Oddly folks love to defend other people's creative works as if they created them. Conversely folks seem to love to shit on other people's enjoyment of said works as if they take personal offense to someone's choice in silly assed movies about killer fish. I can dig it, makes message boards fun :)

16. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

The film will be profitable. Enough to make a sequel. Your statement that it did "badly" at the BO is incorrect. If you don't see the logic in what I'm saying then read it slower, maybe it will sink in. :p

17. Darkside

Darkside New Member

Was one of the best T&G flix I have been able to see on the big screen. I walked in with little care as to the overall movie and left with a smile on my face. Bring on the sequel!!!

18. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Count me in for the sequel. Just went with the husband and a couple of friends to see it a second time. Loved it just as much as the first time.

19. lol no. like my friends say the movie looks stupid, but i wanna see it.

20. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

An insane amount of fun. I would watch it again in theaters if the prices were cheaper.

Can't wait for the DVD.