Piranha 3D delayed until Aug 27th 2010

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

Yup, my feelings exactly. Me and my girlfriend both had a really fun time with this. I still can't believe all that gore only got an R-rating!

2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Saw the film and thought it was okay. I didn't think much of the 3-D effects but heard the film was originally shot 2-D and then converted. I enjoy horror and gore (as well as naked ladies) so the film didn't disappoint, and at only 90 minutes it didn't have time to bore you. I almost always stay through the end credits and this film offered a last minute gore scene as a reward.

3. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Just saw this a little bit ago- went to the 4:50 showing as soon as I got off work and I was the ONLY person in the entire theatre- but I really enjoyed it - even better then I originally thought it would be back when I first heard about it- fun flick - this must have gotten a pretty generous R rating- at least that was my thought during a few scenes - I bet we get an unrated cut on dvd/blu as well

"I almost always stay through the end credits and this film offered a last minute gore scene as a reward. "

Dang I usually stay too but didnt this time so I missed it- shame on me... <:

4. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

I really enjoyed this. My wife and I went with a large group of people, and not a single one was let down. Lots of gore, and lots of fun. I just wish there was more nudity, I mean come on why did they have to skimp on that ? :)

5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I saw it yesterday with a friend.I kind of enjoyed it as a goofy/fun exploitation romp but my friend thought it was the worst film he'd seen in years(and bitched constantly about it as it was playing). Can't help but think he took it a bit too seriously.I wasn't expecting a lot of depth to the plot,I don't know WHAT he was expecting.The odd thing was he was the only friend I had,male or female,that really wanted to see it.Everyone else is either not a horror fan or is hardcore anti 3-D.Probably should have gone alone.

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Went to a late afternoon screening today. Entertaining trash that kept us laughing for most of the 85 minutes. Haven't seen most of the films in the current 3-D craze. Actually the only other one would be My Bloody Valentine, which I thought handled the 3-D effects much better.

Christopher Lloyd's performance must be seen to be believed. Smiled at the Gianna Michaels cameo. My favorite aspect of the movie was that it was filmed in Arizona. All that said, I prefer the original Joe Dante movie.

7. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

Oh yeah, James Cameron comments on Piranha 3D -- nothing but bile and fussing over post-converted 3D.

A big fuck you to Cameron and his hypocrisy. You have not one but TWO films in the record books, and yet you fuss over an intentional B-movie with a better budget.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Clash of the Titans cheapens the 3D experience, with its final hour 3D conversion. Piranha pushed back its release and put some time into it. Jimmy's buying into his own hype if he thinks Avatar is anything more an a dumb action movie.

Sooner or later every movie will be in 3D. Jimmy better get use to it.

9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Saw the movie & thought is was really good. Won't rehash what was said before, but in simple terms it had all the gore like stated.

But I will bring up some things that were not brought up yet:

-The movie was shot beautifully. It will have staying power for many years to come. It won't look dated in the near future.

-The whole spring break scene was accurate. Not overplayed at all. In fact it could have been even more over the top. The entire party people/boats music scene (where the big attack happens) was Lake Havasu to the T. Captured the realism perfectly.

-And the the big attack scenes where relentless & brutal. Most if not all of those actors/extras/stuntpeople should be given a round of applause. A beautiful symphony of chaos. They managed to get just the right amount of laughs ,terror, and sympathy from the viewing audience. A perfect balance of emotions. It was a rare that you felt bad for that many victims in a horror movie. Take for the example the guy that was trying to get to shore using the small motor boat, leaving a path of destruction in his quest. Not one part of that was funny. That was the equivalent of a trampling panic.

Plain & simple lesson, Eli Roth is a hack & Alexandre Aja is the man. Thanks Alexandre for a fun movie. (sorry for doubting the movie at first)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  10. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I read that Cameron thing 2 different ways.

What I hope he's saying:
    Retro-fitting 3D doesn't work and cheapens the whole 3D effect by killing it basically. Imagine you hear how the new 3D is so awesome, but you go see Piranha or Clash of the Titans and it's really not 3D. Then it's harder to convince someone Avatar really is 3D. Stop making shit 3D that never was meant to be as a cheap gimmick to sell a few extra tickets opening weekend.

What I'm afraid he is saying:
    There's no room for B movies in the 3D ballgame. If you resort to throwing dicks, tits and blood at the audience, it cheapens 3D as a whole. Only films with something to say deserve 3D, and letting the little guys in will ruin it for the bigs.

11. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

A simple grasp of basic math skills should help you understand that so far this film has been anything but profitable.
    Recent figures:
    http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=piranha3d.htm

12. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

I fully expect Cameron to bitch about the post-conversioned 3D Harry Potter, Narnia 3, Transformers 3 and the next two Marvel films when they come out. He's responsible for the wave of crappy last-minute post-converted 3D films like Clash and Last Airbender.

Cameron's brought this on himself. Sure, Avatar made people come to the movies just because of the spectacular 3D visuals and CGI work. But now, studios are rushing to cash in on the 3D fad by converting. And now, Cameron's looking like a hypocrite for post-converting Titanic in 3D (and scheduled for an April 2012 re-release).

13. Spit

Spit Active Member

I met a guy at school that saw this opening day and swore it was great. He wins some points in my book just for bringing up a horror movie within the first 5 minitues of me meeting him. But, Im not sure I wanna shell out the 8 bucks on his advice alone. Should I check this out or the last exorcism?

14. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I liked both but they're vastly different films. If you're in the mood for fast-paced, gory, nudity-filled fun, go with Piranha 3-D. It's a blast. If you're in the mood for very slow burn horror, with great performances, interesting characters and a creepy atmosphere, go with The Last Exorcism.

15. killit

killit Active Member

I thought piranha would be amazing, but it sucked so hard. Last exorcism wasn't awesome (except for parts of the last reel) but overall a much better experience for me and mine.

16. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Saw this opening day but haven't had a chance to comment. All I have to say is it was amazing! One of the best and most fun filled movie going experiences I have had at the theater in a long long time! I don't get how you could hate this film unless you don't like gore, boobs, or take your horror too seriously. I had a smile on my face the whole time watching this and it seemed like the audience was really digging in too. Even the gang of kids beside me stopped with their smart ass remarks as soon as the carnage started. Which by the way, there's a reason that shitty vampire parody did so well compared to this one, and that is because half of the people in the theater obviously bought tickets for it and snuck into this as there was a bunch of kids that definitely were not 18.

The 3D wasn't the best that I've seen, but I had fun with it. Personally I like cheesy 3D where various things fly at the screen (Including
    Jerry O'Connell's wang! That was so unexpected and hilarious.
    ). I'll take this type of movie and 3D over Avatar's any day of the week.

Jerry O'Connell was awesome as the swarmy Girls Gone Wild like promoter, Dreyfuss's cameo was hilarious (Although I'm pretty sure most of the younger kids in there didn't get the Show me the way to go home..." song), and Christopher Loyd was pretty much playing Doc Brown from BTTF which was as well very cool! The other characters did a good job as well, and surprisingly weren't annoying at all. You actually rooted for them, which is rare in a horror film these days and their teen cast. Oh, and Elizabeth Shue as always did a great job and still looks pretty hot for her age.

As for the gore and nudity, not much to say other then there is copious amounts of both, which I'm definitely not complaining about. Maybe even one of the goriest films I've seen, and not just the same old thing over and over again either. The kills and carnage were all very well done and creative, and i could add a spoiler with my favourites but I'm not even going to bother as there were quite a few stand outs.

This movie shows that Aja, even after his little mishap called Mirrors (Which i will admit to not hating, but not loving either) is back and still one of the best if not the best horror Directors out there right now.

Last but not least, the ending. It was surprising and rather abrupt, but you know what, I don't care, I liked it! I just hope they can pay it off with a sequel now. No, the box office wasn't great, but they plan on doing one anyway, and like many on here have mentioned, theater box office only accounts for half of the money intake. From what I've heard it has already made its money back when you include foreign receipts so I'm sure it will end up bringing in a decent profit. I just know that if there is a sequel, I will be lined up there first day. This was my favourite horror movie this year by far, and in my opinion one of the best movies in any genre this year, just behind Inception and Iron Man 2.

Oh, and Russweiss, I didn't stay after the credits as I figured the ending was
    the shock ending
    enough. What did I miss?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  17. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

James Cameon is a stuck up dick. I get complaining about Clash's 1 month 3D conversion but for this movie they spent almost a year working on it. It wasn't the best, but it wasn't terrible either. It sounds to me like he hates genre films and thinks 3D should only be saved for big budget movies like his unoriginal Avatar. I'm sorry, I get the 3D should be used for added dimension argument, but at the same time I like seeing stuff fly at my face. Personally I enjoyed the 3D in the MBV remake (Probably my favourite 3D conversion thus far) more then I did Avatar.

Anyways, here's a nice response from the Producer of Piranha 3D, Mark Canton, which I 100% agree with. Nice to see someone that isn't a stuck up prick in Hollywood.

"As a producer in the entertainment industry, Jim Cameron's comments on VanityFair.com are very disappointing to me and the team that made Piranha 3D. Mr. Cameron, who singles himself out to be a visionary of movie-making, seems to have a small vision regarding any motion pictures that are not his own. It is amazing that in the movie-making process - which is certainly a team sport - that Cameron consistently celebrates himself out as though he is a team of one. His comments are ridiculous, self-serving and insulting to those of us who are not caught up in serving his ego and his rhetoric.

Jim, are you kidding or what? First of all, let’s start by you accepting the fact that you were the original director of PIRANHA 2 and you were fired. Shame on you for thinking that genre movies and the real maestros like Roger Corman and his collaborators are any less auteur or impactful in the history of cinema than you. Martin Scorcese made Boxcar Bertha at the beginning of his career. And Francis Ford Coppola made Dimentia 13 back in 1963. And those are just a few examples of the talented and successful filmmakers whose roots are in genre films. Who are you to impugn any genre film or its creators?

Having been deeply involved, as either an executive or as a producer, on Tim Burton’s original BATMAN and the first MEN IN BLACK, as well as 300, and now IMMORTALS, one of the things that has been consistent about all of the filmmakers involved in these landscape-changing global films is that, in each and every case, all of the directors were humbled by their predecessors, their colleagues and by their awareness of the great history of film that came before them. The enjoyment and the immersion of an audience in a movie theatre, as they had and will have with the above-mentioned films, and as audiences are experiencing with PIRNAHA 3D now, comes from the originality and the vision of the filmmaker, and not just from the creation of the technology. You as much as anyone certainly knows that there are many pieces to the puzzle. Going to the movies still remains, arguably, amongst the best communal experiences that human beings can share.

My sense is that Mr. Cameron has never seen PIRANHA 3D...certainly not in a movie theatre with a real audience. Jim, we invite you to take that opportunity and experience the movie in a theatre full of fans - fans for whom this movie was always intended to entertain.
    Does Mr. Cameron have no idea of the painstaking efforts made by the talented young filmmaker Alex Aja and his team of collaborators? Clearly, and this one is a good bet, he has no clue as to how great and how much of a fun-filled experience the audiences who have seen the film in 3D have enjoyed. Those of us who have tried to stay in touch with the common movie audiences - the ones who really matter, the ones who actually still go to the theatre, put on the glasses, and eat the popcorn - take joy and pride in the fact that movies of all kinds, including PIRANHA 3D, have a place in filmmaking history - past, present and future. 3D unto itself is not a genre Jim, it is a tool that gives audiences an enhanced experience as they experience all kinds of movies. I believe Mr. Cameron did not see PIRANHA 3D either with any real audience or not at all. On opening weekend, I was in a Los Angeles theatre with a number of today’s great film makers including JJ Abrams, who actually had nothing short of the fabulous, fun 3D experience that the movie provides. I am fortunate enough to have worked on, and continue to work on, evolutionary movies in all formats from just simple good story telling, which still matters most of all, to CG movies to tent-pole size 3D movies, and genre 3D movies like PIRANHA 3D.

What it comes down to, Jim, is - that like most things in life - size doesn’t really matter. Not everyone has the advantage of having endless amounts of money to play in their sandbox and to take ten years using other people’s money to make and market a film... like you do. Why can’t you just count your blessings? Why do you have to drop Marty Scorsese’s or Tim Burton’s names, both gentlemen who I have personally worked with, and who have enjoyed great joy and success with movies of all genres and sizes well before the advent of modern 3D? Then as now, they were like kids in a candy store recognizing, far beyond your imagination, the possibilities of storytelling and originality.

For the record, before you just totally dismiss PIRANHA 3D and all, in your opinion, worthless genre movies that actually undoubtedly gave you the ability to start your career, you should know that PIRANHA 3D had an 82% "fresh" (positive) ratting on Rotten Tomatoes on opening day - a web site that all the studios, filmmakers and the public use as a barometer of what makes a quality film.

We know that PIRANHA 3D has not achieved a boxoffice that is on the level of many of Mr. Cameron's successes. To date, PIRANHA 3D has earned over $30 million around the globe with #1 openings in several countries. And, as the "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes indicates, critics and many, many others have embraced and celebrated PIRANHA 3D for the fun and entertaining - and even smart - movie-going experience that it is.

Let’s just keep this in mind Jim… you did not invent 3D. You were fortunate that others inspired you to take it further. The simple truth is that I had nothing but good things to say about AVATAR and my own experience since I actually saw it and didn’t damn someone else’s talent publicly in order to disassociate myself from my origins in the business from which we are all very fortunate. To be honest, I found the 3D in AVATAR to be inconsistent and while ground breaking in many respects, sometimes I thought it overwhelmed the storytelling. Technology aside, I wish AVATAR had been more original in its storytelling.

We have to inspire, teach and mentor this next generation of filmmakers. It is garbage to suggest that any film or any filmmaker who cannot afford to work to your standards should be dissuaded from following his or her craft by not making 3D movies or not making movies like DISTRICT 9, for example, which probably cost the amount of AVATAR’s craft services budget, but totally rocked it in the movie theatre and in the marketplace. In that case, it was not a 3D movie. But had it been, it certainly would not have been any less original or impactful. The enormous worldwide success of AVATAR has been good in all respects for you, your financiers, your distributors and the industry, as well as for the movie going public. Jim, there is a difference between Maestro which is a word that garners respect, and Dictator or Critic which are words better left for others who are not in our mutual boat or on our team. You are one of the best, it is reasonable to think that you should dig deeper and behave like it. Young directors should be inspired by you, not publicly castigated by your mean-spirited and flawed analysis.

While we are all awed by your talents and your box office successes - and I compliment you on all of them - why don’t you rethink how you address films with which you are not involved? You should be taking the high road that is being travelled by so many of your peers, and pulling with them to ensure that we, as an industry, will have a continuum of talented filmmakers that will deliver a myriad of motion pictures both big and small, with 3D or any other technologies yet to come that will entertain audiences throughout the world. That is the challenge that we face. That is the future that we should deliver."

http://shocktillyoudrop.com/news/articlenews.php?id=16378

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  18. othervoice1

Ill second that ....

19. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I'm pretty sure that My Bloody Valentine was filmed in 3-D, not converted.

20. othervoice1

That would be correct- but in terms of my enjoying the movie and having more fun with the 3-D in MBV vs Avatar I agree with spawningblue