Piranha 3D delayed until Aug 27th 2010

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=piranha3d.htm

Updated stats, 3 weeks in and still has not recouped it's budget domestically.
    Furthermore, a shitty two million in its third week.
    Last Exorcism beat Piranha 3D's box office take in one week by almost seven million.
    For a film that had the benefit of the 3D gimmick, the phrase box office poison comes to mind, sequel notwithstanding.
    Care to point out where I was wrong about it doing badly at the box-office? :D

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  2. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

After three weeks it's not inaccurate to say it's done "badly". However, our disagreement was how to characterize the first weekend's BO not it's overall performance. After the first weekend there were plenty of articles stating that 10 million wasn't bad for a film with a 24 million dollar budget. I didn't just pull that opinion out of my ass.

I still think the film will be profitable when it hits home video.

3. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

All I can say is Resident Evil in real 3D this Friday! Fuck the convertors, although I'm curious as to how Titanic 3D will look. I think it might be cool as they are taking their time and doing it right, opposed to the newer flicks that are rushing through to make a street date, leaving a piss-poor conversion in their wake.
    But seriously James, if you have to fuck with your oldies, please do True Lies some form of justice next, at least a new HD transfer for a barebones BD.

4. Anthropophagus

No, actually it's very accurate.
    I also never said that I was solely basing it on the first weekend's take, you did, the initial opening weekend take plus the many projections I read lead to what is commonly referred to as an informed opinion about how it would perform.
    That opinion has now translated into fact.
    If you need me to explain anything else, I'm here for ya.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  5. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I call BS on your second sentence. But hey, PM me your address and I'll mail you a gold star that your mom can put on her refrigerator.

6. Anthropophagus

Next time, don't get so uppity and tight ass when responding to someone's post especially when you don't know what the hell you're talking about.
    Anyone could have predicted in this day and age that a movie based on tits and ass and a lame 3D gimmick wouldn't have been a box-office smash. The people who needed to see it did so on opening weekend, the mass appeal of a film like this doesn't transcend a very small core demographic.
    Call BS all you want, you stand corrected.
    I'd prefer a hero cookie to that gold star.
    Anthro-1
    Crikan-0
    Good day. :D

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  7. zombiecraig

zombiecraig New Member

Saw this tonight.

I had a pretty good time. It was what I expected. Nothing more, nothing less.

3D gives me a bitch of a headache, though. They should include a packet of drugs with the glasses.

8. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Still going on about this. Really? The name calling would probably offend if I didn't consider the source. "Good Day :D" /sarcasm

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  9. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

What's with the bashing of this movie!? It didn't do well because people are morons. People would rather see a dumb cop in a mall or a dude in a fat suit. As for horror, if it's any good, isn't filmed Blair Witch style, or doesn't have Saw in the title, it probably won't do well.

It delivered exactly what it set out to do and was a damn gore filled fun time at the movies. I miss horror movies like this, and at least when I saw it everyone had a good time with it. it was nice to see the audience really get into it. Hell, even the teens put down their phones once this got going.

As for a sequel, there is still a chance that it will happen. Aja's movies tend to do double in the foreign market as they do here, and I have a feeling this will do very well on DVD/ Blu as I know a LOT of people that want to see it but can't be bothered to pay the 3D movie ticket prices. Everyone that has saw it though has has nothing but positive things to say. Like Kick Ass and probably Scott Pilgrim, this is a movie that critics liked as did fans, but for some reason didn't do very well here. Word of mouth will definitely help it when it hits DVD and Blu though.

Oh, and on this sites poll, it is leading as the best horror movie of 2010, which I whole heartily agree with!

10. Vortex

Vortex Member

The new Piranha is strike 3D for Aja. Maybe some day he'll get back to good filmmaking like Haute Tension but I'm done seeing his movies in theaters. I enjoyed the 95 Piranha more than this.