Pitfall

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by dwatts, Aug 1, 2007.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I just got through watching this. I have the Masters of Cinema release, but either this has recently had - or about to have - a release in R1 from Criterion.

Interesting film that is sold as something of a mystery/fantasy film. However, without fully appreciating the socio-political aspects of the film, some of it plain makes no sense. Thankfully there's a commentary track included that helps root you into appreciating the film - and especially the elements that might have you scratching your head. It's a rather academic commentary, but none the worse for that.

The black and white photography is nice, and the setting is kind of an industrial version of what we see in Onibaba (including actual documentary footage from unlicensed mining operations at the time, which'll make your hair curl!)

Perhaps what sets this film apart is the awesome soundtrack - pure avant garde genious. The opening credits are both unique and mysterious, with two people running in darkness to a background of what can only be called "grunts". Marvellous.

Anyway - interesting film, and worth seeing. It's not a ghost story (although there are ghosts in it), but really is a political tale with some elements of intrigued. Nice.

2. Numania

Numania Guest

I have the Masters of Cinema disc as well and picked up the Criterion set when that came out.
    I'm a big fan of Hiroshi Teshigahara's. He did three movies that Kobo Abe wrote and Toru Takemitsu did the score for (this, Woman in the Dunes, and The Face of Another). I thought this movie was really good. However, I would highly recommend The Face of Another (which I have the Masters of Cinema as well). It is similar in tone to Seconds with Rock Hudson, which, interestingly, came out the same year.
    I love the scores to these movies. Takemitsu was really impressive.

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Not soundtracks - but do you know a musician named Bob James? He wrote the soundtrack for the TV series - Taxi in the 70's. Anyway - he's made a whole lot of light jazz that's just about enough to make you barf. Except, his first two albums were avant-garde corkers. One is called Explosions, forget the other one for the minute. Anyway - VERY reminscent of the soundtrack for Pitfall. You might want to seek it out.

4. Numania

Numania Guest

I'll take your advice. That's how I like my jazz.
    Dwatts, if you haven't seen The Face of Another yet, it's highly recommended. It's in the Criterion set with Pitfall and it is also available as a Masters of Cinema release.

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

No - not seen it. I shall seek it out. ;)