Platinum Dunes may get Halloween rights...

Discussion in 'General' started by mclay18, Apr 2, 2012.

1. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

While some of you may dismiss it as an April Fool's joke (some actual news is announced on this day, believe it or not), but both ShockTillYouDrop and Bloody-Disgusting exclusively report that Platinum Dunes is in talks to produce the next 'Halloween' movie, which Dimension Films will distribute.

The former says that they've heard talks of this dating back to last week, and that Platinum Dunes is NOT the only company Dimension is shopping the rights to. Brad Fuller has confirmed the news on his Twitter page.

Let the sniping and the inevitable "PD should rot in hell" flaming begin...

2. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaawns...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

3. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

If it's a big April Fool's joke, then they've done a good job. :rolleyes:

4. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

After the Zombie abominations even this potential change makes me more optimistic about the future of the series.

5. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

Yes. Platinum Dunes gets things done sooner rather than later. Maybe Dimension will off-load the franchise entirely, and let MGM or another mini-major handle it.

6. MarkWarner

MarkWarner New Member

You can say what you want about Zombie's films, but at least he went into them wanting to make something that challenged the perception of what Halloween could be, and at least it felt genuine. If Michael Bay and his minions get a hold of Halloween, we can kiss any semblance of originality goodbye. You can expect a best-of reel masquerading as a new film instead of a real, genuine effort (you know, like the Friday the 13th remake). I'm sure some fans would slobber over that though, because hey! Who needs a new story when you can just rehash Michael's Greatest Hits, right? :banana:

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well said. I've always said I liked that RZ tryed to do something a little different.

8. shape22

You guys are conveniently forgetting that the series survived 29 years before it briefly morphed into white trash ghost mom opera--and the the U.S. and worldwide grosses of Zombie's H2 and Resurrection are virtually identical. Long-standing series don't need radical revisionism. Based on the sharply diminishing box office returns between the remake and H2 I think it's easy to argue that Zombie alienated more fans than he brought to the table.

9. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Don't forget that H2 wasn't released everywhere. It seemed to have a pretty limited release. We in Aus didn't get it at cinemas at all.

10. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

I'd rather have something like that instead of what Zombie gave us in two films. I get that he tried something different, but that alienated fans to the franchise.

11. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I don't think Zombie's films had much originality at all, his need to populate all his films with the white trash element make them all seem like extensions of the same damn film.
    Furthermore, the Halloween remake seemed like a shot for shot remake at times in the second half, with Loomis' dialogue ported over and feeling more like parody than tribute.
    The homeless vagabond Michael Myers of Halloween II, pretty much killed whatever mystique Carpenter had injected into the character in the first place. Made me wonder if he'd be pushing a shopping cart in the third installment, with a Wal-Mart bag tied to a tree branch slung over his shoulder. Maybe they could have used the theme from The Littlest Hobo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgGKSjiw0HQ

12. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

You have to lay some of H2's poor box office with Dimension's screwy handling of it's release. It went head to head to FD4, and then had to compete with Dimension's own Inglorious Basterds a week later! Seriously, WTF!? I guess it never occurred to Dimension to release a Halloween film in October.

I'm on the fence about PD. I liked their TCM films, despised the NOES and feel indifferent to their F13 film. The Amityville film was ok, but it's been years since I watched it and barely remember it.

13. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

The only thing I'm not looking forward to is that they'll get Steve Jablonsky to score it and that he'll put Carpenter's iconic theme by the wayside. It was disheartening to hear Manfredini's theme pop up at the beginning of the Friday remake and never resurface again.

On the positive side, this movie will get made sooner than later.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  14. shape22

They'll be hard pressed to use it less than Zombie did in H2.

15. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

I try to block all memories of H2 from my mind. But using it at the end... inappropriately, I might add... was just laughable.

I did congratulate Fuller on Twitter, and he thanked me. So, looks like PD will do Halloween.

16. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Well said. The Halloween franchise is so iconic, and Zombie dismissed the essence of the horror established by Carpenter. In Carpenter's vision, Michael Myers is like a force of evil that can't be explained. Even when we learn of his relationship with Laurie in Halloween II, we never learn his motive. He is simply meaningless death and violence, and the fact that he can strike even in a cosy, nice little town like Carpenter's Haddonfield is frightening.

Zombie's Michael, however, is damaged goods, mistreated and uncared-for at home and in school, and the Haddonfield he occupies is a run down, ghetto-like place. It's all very sad and depressing, but it's also understandable why Michael is a monster. He is demystified, and that changes the basic concept totally. That is the reason why I consider Zombie's version self-serving and unsatisfying - it has nothing to do with Michael Myers.

17. MarkWarner

MarkWarner New Member

What are you even trying to prove here? That the series went 29 years before getting a remake? Give this guy a prize!

And maybe I have a different definition of survival than you, but the series was certainly not SURVIVING that whole time. Not when half the films were fairly shitty in my opinion.

Ooo, box office returns: the sign of a good film. :rolleyes:

I don't give a shit how much money a film makes, and I can't understand people who use that as some kind of argument against a film's quality. It means nothing when it comes to that, and it shouldn't even be in the conversation when discussing it.

As far as alienating fans...that's not exactly a hard thing to do with this franchise. Every time someone tries something different, the fans bitch and moan that it's too different from "classic" Halloween, which might I add has a different meaning depending on who you ask.

There's a perfect example of this kind of thing happening right now. People complain that Zombie didn't use the Halloween theme in his H2, yet when he did use it during the credits, that's still not "right". You guys can say that it's a slight against the fans, but I chalk it up to people who will never be satisfied no matter what.

Like I said though, I'm sure the people who hated Zombie's films will eat up whatever Platinum Dunes makes, because they'll be sure to copy all of those iconic scenes and moments and sprinkle them with that slick Michael Bay feel we all know and love. :banana:

Right, cause it's not like any of the other Halloween directors did that before Zombie came on board.

Oh. Wait. They TOTALLY did that, didn't they?

They don't need to spell it out for it to be obvious. By making Laurie Michael's sister (and by extension having Jamie be Laurie's daughter), it becomes obvious that he's going after HER. His motivation is to get Laurie through his own sick little game.

So is Zombie's Michael...

I love it. Zombie apparently turned Haddonfield into a run down ghetto, even though they shot in some of the same areas that the original shot in.

I get that the Myers house and the Rabbit In Red weren't exactly little slices of Americana, but Jesus, Haddonfield was FAR from a ghetto in those films. In fact, Zombie's H2 NAILED the feel of a Midwestern town in my opinion, even though it was filmed in Georgia.

How can two films that supposedly focus on demystifying Michael have nothing to do with him? Oh, you mean the REAL Michael Myers? Sorry, which one is that again?

I get that this isn't Carpenter's Michael Myers, but neither were any of the Michaels in the films past the original. Why does Zombie get singled out here? Why aren't we leveling the same amount of criticism against guys like Dominique Othenin-Girard and Joe Chappelle? Because Zombie decided to use that to his advantage rather than pretend that the character stayed exactly the same for nearly thirty years? Please.

Zombie's films aren't for everyone, and I respect people who just didn't care for it in general, but this whole "He ruined Halloween forever! OMG!" thing is, frankly, bullshit. Then again, I'm sure those that end up hating this new Platinum Dunes film will be saying the same thing. I guess it's easier to hate something that's clearer to remember.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  18. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Yes, because Zombie's Halloween was not derivative in the slightest of Carpenter's original from the halfway point onwards.
    Adding and expanding isn't always a good thing, i.e. Sherri Moon Zombie as Lady Godiva standing next to a white horse in Halloween II!?! Paging Dr. Freud.
    I will say I did enjoy the hell out of Sherri Moon's ass though in the first, probably the only redeeming quality of the series, and the only time I've ever cried to 'Love Hurts' by Nazareth.
    Otherwise a complete waste of time and money on both counts.

19. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I've always enjoyed films that were different. No point in having the same old formula (if so, just watch the original, eh?). Some of my favs in these franchises include "Jason Goes to Hell", "Halloween 3", "Halloween 2 (RZ)", "Nightmare on Elm St 2" and all of the Hellraiser DTV sequels, excluding Hellworld (lol).

I've found that fans, no matter what the subject is, will always complain about something. Try visiting some Godzilla forums, you'll hear people bitch about the Criterian blu-ray. Fucking crazy I tell ya!

20. shape22

Mark, you need to take a reading comprehension class. What I'm trying to prove is very clearly stated--that Zombie's "vision" of this series didn't succeed with the general public. Box office is obviously not a measure of quality. Where did I say that? But it is a very reliable measure of what the general public likes--or doesn't. Are you trying to dispute that?

You're trying to prove some dubious points solely with your own opinions. Small wonder you object to actual evidence. Zombie's reimagined Halloween series wasn't exactly trending upwards in terms of box office.

You're trying to make it seem like everyone who dislikes Zombie's take on Myers is an uptight Halloween fundamentalist. The box office slide between the remake and H2 suggests that a lot of casual fans disliked it too. And I'm not sure why you have so much animosity for people who clearly have much more emotional investment in this series than you. You'll get more Rob Zombie films, with all the expected accoutrements, regardless of whether or not he makes more Halloween films. Halloween die-hards just want this series in the hands of people who care more about this universe than their own ill-conceived, incongruous ideas. There was nothing original about his take on Halloween. He just did what he always does with the Halloween universe.

And as far as your snarky comments about eating up whatever PD foists upon us, I can only suggest that you start camping out for The Lords Of Salem. I'm sure you'll love that too. SPOILER WARNING: It will have lots of dudes with long hair, Sherry Moon, and people saying "fuck" in every sentence. Oops. I hope I didn't just ruin it for anyone.

Rant over.