POLL: Hell of the Living Dead

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Damage, Dec 19, 2005.

?

POLL: Hell of the Living Dead

1. An absolute waste of 101 minutes I'll never have back in my life!

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Pure cinematic zombie cheese goodness!

64 vote(s)
    91.4%
  1. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

if i were in charge, speaking badly of Motley Crue would be a bannable offense.

and Hell of the Living Dead is atrocious. but i have two copies of it on dvd, so i'm sure i'll bring myself to give it another chance at some point.

2. rp108

rp108 Guest

I didnt speak bad of Motley Crue. They got me into hard rock/metal.

3. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

You didn't, but someone else did.

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--Pure cinematic zombie cheese goodness!--

Of course! I believe we have to face the fact that on the whole, the Italian gorefests invented their own levels of quality. Judging the films by any other measure, putting them alongside say, American horror films and the best standards of writing in the genre around the time they were made, is going to widely skew "quality" in the favor of the opposition. You gotta go deeper.

And when you go deeper you don't get films with themes and subtly. You don't get philosophic musing or a soul heaving under a low low budget. You get cheese. Big thick slices of cheese. You get incompetence, lousiness, and stupidity. All rapped up in a cheeseball that goes down as smooth as a nail bomb.

They're ragged, wrong, and pretty horrible. They're great.

5. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

My only complaint is there shoulda been more teets and there shouldn't have been any real cannibal stock footage.

6. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

As I said in the other thread, I love Hell of the Living Dead. The first time I ever saw it was on VHS under the title Night of the Zombies. I hated it then, but for some reason I kept feeling drawn to it. I finally caved in and got the double-feature DVD (paired with another cheese classic, Rats: Night of Terror) and didn't regret my decision at all.

The only thing that really brings this film down a bit for me is the fact that half of it is comprised of boring stock footage. If Mattei had just scrapped the stock footage altogether and added more scenes with the zombies and the soldiers and the hot reporter slut, this would have been a classic.

7. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

I too have a nostalgic fondness for this. Night Of The Zombies came out here on the Palace Explosive video label - which was the short-lived 'horror' division of Palace Video. Because they didn't have that many titles all round, every other Palace Explosive tape would have the Night Of The Zombies trailer. I saw it so much I could eventually recite the trailer word for word (along with Madman, The House On Sorority Row and Cannibal Apocalypse!).

8. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Pure cinematic zombie cheese goodness!

9. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

I think the stock footage adds to the fun. It sticks out like a sore thumb, you can't help laughing at it. For example, when the reporter girl goes 'undercover' into the village, they show stock footage of natives in white masks creeping towards the camera, but when they show the natives in the same screen with her, it's so obvious that it's not the same actors. They don't even have the same color skin. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2005
  10. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

i voted for Pure cinematic zombie cheese goodness! 101 min? damn sure didnt feel like it.

11. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

There's a point at which the stock footage becomes too obvious and over-used, but before that I found it added some good atmosphere. In fact it reminded me of when they show the wildlife snipits on Survivor usually before tribal counsil :p

12. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Great stuff! As I sit at work typing this I can hear the music to the black & blue hughed opening sequence in my head...warnings are now being announced over the P A. I'm inside the plant now...why do those colorful modual lights make that sound? God, I love this movie!

13. badnewsbrown

badnewsbrown Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2006
  14. rp108

rp108 Guest

Wow, it amazes how ignorant people are. I listed my wifes DVDs in my collection also, and the Muppets are the shit. I definatley dig Motely Crue and Ratt but I also listen to Arch Enemy and Morbid Angel. If you want a pissing contest I am game. :fuck:

15. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I have very fond memories of seeing this movie at the drive-in along with Mausoleum when I was about 12. It is bad, but like someone else said, I am oddly drawn to it.

16. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Whoah! Concept idea! "Survivor XIII - Voodoo Island"!! Somebody get Jeff Probst on the phone!

17. badnewsbrown

badnewsbrown Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2006
  18. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Hey wouldn't it be cool if they actually did something like that? They send the survivors to an island and tell them some fictional history involving cannible natives and what not, and throughout the game there are planted survivors who are "killed-off" only to return as the living dead. That would rule.

I remember a web movie I saw where they pretended that some guy playing a video game was fooled into thinking he was in the game. This would just expand on that idea. I guess eventually you have to worry about people having heart attacks and seisures :(

19. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

This movie has really endured for me over the years, and has become one of my favorite zombie films, period. With repeated viewings I've found more and more to like about it--I actually like it more than many movies that most would consider to be superior to it.

20. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

I agree.Hell fits somewhere in my top 5 zombie flicks.
    I remember as a kid I knew the stock footage didn't match up but I was still fooled into believing that it was filmed in Africa.I never thought any more about it until the Mattei interview on the DVD where he says it was filmed entirely in Italy.