Poltergeist Remake News

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Marv Inc.

Marv Inc. Active Member

Meh. I think it looks average. One to watch on netflix.

2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Great.... another trailer that showed every single jump scare.
    Feels like I saw the whole movie in 3 minutes.

I had hopes that they would make it a reboot and not remake the first movie, scene for scene.

Something tells me, that faceripping scene, won´t be in the new one ;)

Time to watch the original again.

3. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Let's just be happy some Rapper, Jennifer Lopez or the talentless Kardashians are not in this.

4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Looks good, and the fact that Sam Rockwell is in it, is a plus imo.

5. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Enjoy going to the movies alone with only your right hand for a date. :sperm:

6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

8. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

This looks shit, but then again the EVIL DEAD remake really surprised me. I'll rent it.

9. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I hate to admit it but I've never even seen the original. I only heard the jokes Eddie Murphy used to make about the movie. I'll check it out one of these days.

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

"We didn't kill her, she's in the motherfuckin' TV" :lol:

~Matt

11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I managed to check out the trailer yesterday and while my expectations for this have been low I didn't mind what I saw. It seems like they're keeping a lot of the memorable scenes from the original while adding some modern ghost movie stuff like being dragged around by invisible forces for example. I don't think it looks "terrible" enough to condemn it yet and even if it it I'll still have the original so it's not the end of the world.

12. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I thought the whole Hooper vs Spielberg director controversy was the reason for the barebones DVD releases. Wasn't there an investigation by the DGA and the parties are forbidden to talk about it? Zelda Rubenstein went to her grave claiming Spielberg is the one who directed all her scenes. And anytime anyone talks about making the movie it's Spielberg who gets mentioned, never Hooper. Even those who defend Hooper admit Spielberg was on set a lot and had a lot more input than most producers do. I'd love to get the true story of the making of the movie but I don't think it will ever happen.

13. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Well, I just got home from the theater, and it was okey.

The lead characters was likable enough, and there was some pretty effective scares.
    The best part of the movie, was the moment when the poltergeists takes the girl, as the setup was pretty damn creepy and intense.

Sadly things felt kinda rushed after that, and never got that creepy again.

What is also lacking, is the epic scope of the movie, especially during the ending, that pales big time to the one in the original. This one just felt smaller in scale. Maybe it felt that way, because the house was smaller and more claustrophobic, this time.

It was well shot, had some effective visuals (you can tell Raimi produced this one), and the music was pretty damn good, especially during the first big haunting/attack scene.

Not a bad movie at all (actually better than I expected), but it just lacked that big scale and epic feel, compared to the original (which I love).
    The movie was 90 minutes long, but it only felt like an hour, so at least it was entertaining enough ;)

I´ll give it 3.5 out of 5

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I've been on the fence about seeing this atm. The reviews are not making me any more eager to rush to the cinema to see it. It just looks like it has too many beats/re-used scenes from the original that makes me underwhelmed. If I wanted to see those things I'd pop in the original film. I want a remake to take the basic promise and do its own thing with it.
    I've been hearing it's not terrible which is good but yeah, the whole "here's a bunch of stuff you've already seen" shots I've seen in the trailer seems lazy. Especially if they're not trying to one up the original, like that clown doll which looks no where near as frightening as the original.

15. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

This film is going to suck. "It's not terrible" is not a reason to see a film at theater ticket prices imo. Even by the trailer, this film is going to rehash all the original iconic scenes but with half the talent.

16. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I read a couple reviews today and they were not good

17. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

This is exactly how I feel. Not only does it sound like it wouldn't be worthy of the ticket price, I'd rather rent it via Netflix so my money spent won't go towards the film's "earnings" numbers. God forbid they think we want a sequel!

18. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

Personally, even though I seen it a lot through the years, I'd rather see the original in the theaters over this remake, cause I never seen the original in the theater when it first came out, I was only 9 and no one would take me. I did see it in early 83 when my uncle rented it on video..

19. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I almost decided to skip it but went to see this today because I hadn't been to the theater in a few weeks, but regretted my decision. I thought this absolutely sucked- one of the worst horror movies I have sen in quite some time. No scares, and the only worse remake of a horror movie that I can think of it The Fog. I cannot think of any reason for anybody here to see this, unless the theater near you serves such incredible popcorn that you could sit through a two hour loop of Roseanne Barr taking a dump for two hours and still leave satisfied. I am going to see Mad Max in 3D on Monday to erase the bad taste of the start of the summer movie season this cinematic sewage left in my mouth!

Zombie Dude likes this.
  20. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

That's some pretty good popcorn.