Poltergeist Remake News

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah I've decided to not see it till I can download it off the net. No point wasting my money seeing as it's getting pretty "meh" reviews.

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Everything about this is hilarious. :lol:

~Matt

3. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Saw this yesterday, by far one of the worst remakes I've ever seen. It was worse than the A Nightmare on Elm Street remake and that's saying somethig. It actually starts out Ok but as soon as the CG takes over the film starts to falter and from then on the acting, drama and scares get worse. A bad bad film.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I saw it Friday afternoon in 3D. The movie was okay, the 3D sucked big time and was not worth the extra upgrade of $3.00 to see it in 3D. I do prefer the original though over the remake. I only saw it because Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert produced it and their company Ghost House Pictures put it out.

5. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Honestly the scariest but involves a squirrel and it's only cause it makes you jump.

6. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I was on board for the first half hour or so but by the time the little girl gets abducted it went downhill fast. It's not even a matter of comparing it to the original. On its own merits it's just not very good and definitely not scary. I did like the clown scene but it's actually early in the film and is never mentioned after that. I thought Sam Rockwell was good. Rosemary DeWitt's hair was so awful it was distracting. Brush that shit out of your eyes, ya moron!

Not especially spoiler-ish but just in case anyone doesn't want to know: How in the hell were they able to buy a house if he was out of work and the wife was a stay at home mom? Their credit cards were maxed out yet they were able to get a home loan? I suppose this should have been the first clue the movie was going to be a mess.

7. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Wife and I saw this tonight. It was...."ok" but really felt kind of "meh". I told my wife afterwards that we should have saw Mad Max 4 again.

8. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

What the hell did I just watch bueller bueller anyone? Turned this garbage off 20 min into it just awful meh!

9. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Just saw this. Thought it was pretty good. Like the 'electric' motif throughout. The CGI spectres towards the end don't compare to the real 'real' skeletons in the original, though.

Possible Evil Dead reference: When the TV ghost hunter is explaining his scars, he says he got one in "XXX, Michigan, from a nasty spirit in a root cellar." I missed the name of the town. Anybody catch it? I'm wondering if it matches up with a location from Evil Dead 1 or 2, since Sam Raimi is a producer.

10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I just saw this the other night and felt the same. I don't think anyone was expecting this to be great but this was just dull, uninspired and plain dumb in some spots. A big disappointment for me was that they didn't use the name Carol Anne which is such a memorable name; instead we get Maddie... That would be fine if they chose to do their own thing with this but it's basically a watered down version of the original.
    Another thing I hated was the mother. She was presented to us as a terrible parent who thinks her child needs help but never gives him the time of day. No comfort, no nothing but she claims they should seek professional help for him. Parent of the year right there. I wanted the stupid bitch to die. What happened to the down-to-earth, loving and nurturing mother from the original? Even when Maddie gets taken away I never felt like either parent really cared much whereas the original had me wiping tears from my eyes. Other characters aren't much better such as the young boy who never seems too fazed that all this crazy stuff is happening and a far less interesting version of Tangina who I just couldn't believe was a psychic of any sorts.

Also as others have said, this really isn't scary at all. It just feels bland and generic. I say avoid this one at all cost and do yourself a favour by re watching the original which is a masterpiece.

11. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

This would garner about a 4.5/10 from me, the first 30-45 minutes were worth seeing.

12. sade

sade Active Member

I didn't think S.Rockwell & R.DeWitt were right for playing those characters at all.